Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local plane crash recorded from inside by cellphone

So first off, everyone survived and walked away from this crash. Listening to the sound of the snow as they walked around the plane it was probably hard on top, and soft on the bottom, which is my guess why the plane flipped. The crazy/scary part of the story is the father was holding his 7 month old child in his arms during the crash. With my boy the same age it's hard to think of.

So I guess... make sure your carb heat is working?...

(As a side note they departed from the same airport we started the Utah state hops flight from, so you may have virtually flown over the area)
    - Michael
    Check out my cockpit build!

Yeah judging from the depth of the snow there, I actually would've chosen to put it on one of the roads that didn't have much traffic rather than the snow, it looked deep, and it was crunchy sounding on top, it probably caused the plane to flip a lot easier.

Still a good landing and glad they made it out okay.

Comment

"I'm really sorry about your plane?" Are you kidding dude?

Comment

Since I linked the video itself here is the description text from the YouTube page:
        Published on Feb 6, 2013

2/2/13- I was up for a birthday flight with my wife (her first flight ever), her mother and my seven month old boy when we received the shocking news that our carburator had iced over. After gliding over some field we found an ideal place to land the plane. The pilot was experienced in field landings but unfortunately the snow caused the landing gear to sever from the plane, flipping the plane front to back and smashing the tail before it came to a rest upside down. No one was hurt in the accident save for bruises, whiplash and minor cuts.

More to the story:
        The pilot is very experienced and has landed in fields many times before even with snow in the field, just not this much snow. We were looking for roads to land on, but there were just too many power lines next to or crossing these roads. The interstate (large road parallel to flight) can be seen from the beginning of the video, which is a 5 lane road with the middle turn lane. There was absolutely no safe way to land on that road. Had he tried I'm confident that a collision would've occurred and this story could easily have ended in a fatality. The pilot made the BEST landing given the circumstances. Even the way that the plane dug in with its nose, taking the initial force followed by us flipping (instead of a violent abrupt stop) then crunching the tail also absorbing the rest of the collision was the best possible way to crash.
        You can see more of the actual destruction to the plane and the way it landed if you look at the other video of the aftermath "Utah Plane Crash Aftermath Wreckage -ORIGINAL FOOTAGE-" located here:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sCsIx...
        Crash only + slow motion here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nADiI...

The only Tragedy:
        The pilot is a good friend of my wife's parents. He is passionate about flying and loves to take people up in his plane. My wife had never been in an airplane and this was arranged for her birthday. This was a free flight provided by the pilot because of his good heart. The tragic part of this story is that he forgot to renew his insurance on the plane, and it lapsed the night before the flight- 13 hours earlier!!! The insurance company will not honor any kind of grace period and will do nothing for him, so now he's lost a $40k plane in a matter of 13 hours.  He is still happy and cheerful despite his loss.
        Sucks about the insurance....
        - Michael
        Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X