Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's a Cessna. No wait, it's a Boeing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Cessna. No wait, it's a Boeing...

Slimmed Down Aircraft Wing Expected to Reduce Fuel and Emissions by 50%

http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/ames/slimmed-down-aircraft-wing-expected-to-reduce-fuel-and-emissions-by-50

I like how the article opens with a strong focus on weight, though we all know, because we're the best darned simulated aviation enthusiasts (the aviation is simulated, not our enthusiasm nor our existence) there can be, that it's induced drag resulting from greater wing surface area that really affects flight efficiency. Wasn't that (at least part of) the idea behind the 757 high-efficiency wing?

I think I'm thinking the same thing that guy is thinking... that's some massive amounts of differential pressure at that junction between the primary lifting surface and the support strut. I'll assume the support will have a slightly asymmetric/airfoil design, reducing the relative pressure atop its surface. That air will be racing into a very high pressure pocket in the space within the acute angle formed at that junction. Maybe they'll taper the strut's airfoil to a symmetric or even inverted airfoil in that region to direct flow efficiently around the danger-zone.
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
    Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X