Just how reliable are these SSD drives?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how reliable are these SSD drives?

Worth a look if you're curious:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-rel...tag=TRE17cfd61

"The SSD is less likely to fail...but more likely to lose data,"-- which I call FAILING. Maybe this will result in a resurgence of RAID-5? 4 reliable years on a hard drive isn't much, considering we in this community tend to build computers to high standards (for personal PCs) and therefore expect longevity, even if at less-than-peak performance after the initial year(s).
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

I was curious. I took a look. I need an additional one terabyte SSD as my next upgrade. I run my OS on a 250 Gb SSD and my programs (mainly sims) on a 750 Gb SSD. I run too many fully stocked sims (even using "Karl's pointers" for my scenery in FSX Steam pointing to my scenery in classic). SSD's only contain programs. I have a large array of 7200 rpm spinners to hold my files. I've given up on raid 0 (striping). I back up in triple. Stuff I care about is backed up additionally on one of three 3 terabyte USB 3 drives which are never connected to my networks in two different physical locations (Seattle and Las Vegas). Ransomware scares me but I could reload everything easily. I have never lost any data but I came close to losing my life's photos one time and it sucked.
      Respects, Bob ...

Comment

I think for most of us it means limiting SSD's to our OS and Flightsims. Then plan on a 3-5 year replacement cycle. Drives used to store downloaded files, backup and other data should still be left on spin drives. I have a couple IDE's that work fine that were in service until 2013.

Something not mentioned but I think is important is about portability. I think SSD's are less likely to fail in a mobile setting than a spin drive.

Finally, at some point the price of spin drives will start to go up vs SSD's. With that in mind if you think you're going to want a large spin drive for storage sooner than later might be best.

Comment

I have an SSD for my OS (win10pro) which works fine i haven't lost any data or "failed", I also have i hard drive in my computer which i have some games on which i have not lost any data or failed.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X