Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiplayer server name (?)

In search for more personalized, catchy name for our new multiplayer environment I would like to start the discussion and here inputs from All.
    FSD - our working name during the development is too generic and it has too many confusing other meetings.
    Many members have expressed desire to change it.
    To start the ball rolling ;
    I thought of something very simple

AT

As short form All Together.
    It's straightforward and I can't think of double meaning.
    HL
    AT
    2.56%
    MSF-XP
    5.13%
    MSF Junction Server
    7.69%
    XFS
    0.00%
    MSF
    15.38%
    UFS
    2.56%
    Planetary Flight Server
    0.00%
    XAP
    0.00%
    Concurrency
    0.00%
    SimLink
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

mike404

AT is wonderful. The underlying acronym is very socially appealing to me.

I also endorse Storm's more technically based " XP " representing cross-platform, or "MSF-XP" denoting the development from within our own community or "XP-404" if we really want to honestly acknowledge where our efforts mainly came from on a developmental technical level.
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

We have discussed XP and AT, which are great names, however, I guess I feel that they are too, I dunno, "Digital"? I would suggest something that doesn't sound like an ancronym. Something like: "MSF Junction Server" or "MSF Platform Server". Something that denotes its purpose.
      HawgDawg4Life.....

HawgDawg4life@msflights.net
      See my videos Here

Comment

MSF server? (msFlights server)

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT DUNN 2 View Post
          ...if we really want to honestly acknowledge where our efforts mainly came from on a developmental technical level.
          If anything Robert, it has been a true community effort with many people involved,
          Yes I might have been vocal for the concept, but true credit belongs to ROO, who really is the technical person behind it all.
          He found the connections, research necessary software and continuously searches for improvements.
          It is only the time difference as well as new baby, that he's not here that often.
          You can see the activity and his involvement in numerous forum posts with updates he is working on.

Let's have fun with that name.

More organic Version off AT - All Together,The Beatles .....

Beetle

HL
          mike404

Comment

I totally acknoledge ROO's original ideas, development and guidance as well as Karl's contributions and physical hosting and all the other FSD contributors. Our community is richer in deed for these efforts. Per counsel in your OP, Mike, I was merely attempting to have fun with the platform naming endeavors.
            Respects, Bob ...

Comment

How about Universal Flight Server, or "UFS" ? (or Unified Flight Server)
              Last edited by N85988; February 1, 2016, 07:27 PM. Reason: add to it

Comment

Or even "Planetary Flight Server"

Comment

XAP = Cross Aviation Platform, pronounced either "eks-eh-pee" or simply "Zap". (I suggest this in place of XP because of Americans' love for TLAs.)

Comment

There has been many across the Flight sim community as a whole (not just MSFlights) that have made this possible.

I have done my bit by researching and putting things together, allowing us to have a usable network.
                    Mike has spent his time putting together the rules so pilots can see a similar aircraft.
                    Karl has spent his time and resources running another server.
                    YOU MSFLIGHTS members have flown on the server allowing us to find and try to fix flaws with the software.
                    Software we use was written by the Bristol Flight Sim Group who very kindly shared their work.
                    The map was written by x-flightserver.net again very kindly had no problems letting us use it when I asked.
                    I've read and learnt lots about the software on a forum by L.D James of apollo3.com.
                    Not to mention the people who have written all the clients (both ATC and pilot) that we use to connect together.

This in my opinion has been a true cross community venture.

Because of the above I think the name should reflect that, and include the words community or similar.
                    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Haha TLA'S.
                      There's aviation in a nutshell. ��
                      If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

We call this stuff "concurrency" already... why not just formalize the word and officially call it Concurrency?
                        Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

I'll go with XFS for cross flight sim platform. But I appreciate all the hard work and help from all of you!
                          Yours in flight,

Pops :-D

Comment

SimLink server (I kinda like this because the name explains what the server does)

Comment

I kinda like the SimLink suggestion.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X