Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus's and other threats

Hello wonderful community! This post is based off my experience I had in the last 24 hours. As some of you know my main computer has been attacked with a type of ransom-ware.(Ransom-ware is software that encrypts your files and tries to get you to pay usually $500 or more.) This was only noticed when I turned my computer on and my anti-virus was having a conniption fit. How I got it, I don't know. But I will tell you that I use this computer for School and FSX and very very mild web browsing. I am very careful on this computer not to get myself in trouble, in fact I built this computer almost a year ago and this is the only thing that has infected my computer.

The important part of this post is this, the threat is real, and sometimes it gets forgotten. So before it happens to you, you should think about a few things. Are your important files backed up? Documents, Pictures, Config settings or game saves? This is very important! If you don't, you will be crying(at least on the inside). I have a 3TB backup drive, and I backup things on a semi-regular basis. Whenever I download aircraft and scenery for FSX, I back this up too! it makes it easier to install back. Also, it is good to have a backup of a backup, At least with things you(in the real world) would be upset if you lost(pictures, documents, personal files) I say that because my old external hard drive failed on me a few months ago and I lost a few things that I miss.

My goal in this thread is to not tell you about something you already know, its to remind you that this can happen to you, even when you think you are fully protected! Are you ready? I was! My stuff is backed up, And sure its going to be a 2 day process or more to get stuff back to normal, but at least I can, and with ease!

Also keep in mind, This software directly affected programs including TS3, FSX Elite Dangerous, and about half of my computer. Some of these ransom-wares are worse and will lock it up completely. This one changes data files, text documents, and other things and encrypts them. My 2nd hard drive on my computer was also included in this attack, I had to reformat both : (

Be safe out there and back your stuff up! even if you have Windows back up running, that's no guarantee of removal.
    See everyone in the skies soon!
    -Travis

P.S. Please feel free to add ways of recovery that work for you other than mentioned above. I request not to include antivirus software related things, as this may cause debate.

I'm very sorry to hear this Travis and I hope things are all good. Thanks for making me aware of this virus/malware as I had no idea about it. I sure will take the advice to always backup my stuff (not that I haven't).
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=5]Happy Flying :)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]YouTube:[/B][url]https://www.youtube.com/user/TrixterGaming36[/url][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]-Trixter36[/SIZE]

Comment

Sorry to hear this Travis, I'm glad you had everything backed up though. Just curious, what anti virus program were you running?

Comment

the Microsoft security essentials.

Comment

Hi Travis, MSE is maybe not the best one but it is a good one and it is free and it is made for windows. But sit back and trust a antivirus prog isn't a good idea. I use MSE too, but in addition i have MalwarebytesPro permanent running and all two days i run Adwarecleaner from Toolslip.com, it is free and got updated every week. So with these three progs i cover alot more different stuff than just what MSE catches. Check it out...
          Hope it helps.
          CaseyRyback59/Andreas
          Staff Member
          VA-Manager

Comment

Try AVG

Avg has been fairly good. It will try to make you buy pro but the free version works just as well when the runs out.

Google AVG or AVG.com... heh

Nathaniel

Comment

Better not...google will tell you why. check this: http://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what...r-good-enough/
              CaseyRyback59/Andreas
              Staff Member
              VA-Manager

Comment

The sad part is even the reputable ones have had serious problems disclosed lately... https://grahamcluley.com/2015/09/zer...ersky-fireeye/

There's no silver bullet....
                - Michael
                Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X