Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite Dangerous now available on Steam

Elite Dangerous is now available on Steam. I recommend that anyone that can run and afford Elite Dangerous pick it up.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

Thanks,
    Alec

The price tho.. Gave me a heart attack
    [IMG]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0497.png[/IMG]

Comment

Yes though it is worth it. And it is still being developed. Its current form is not what it is going to be in 5 months. 1.3 is coming as a free update and payed expansions are coming in future. As well as the story being shaped by everyone's actions. Help a rebel group a lot and they might soon rebell against their government.

Comment

Hopefully the price will drop in the next few months. I wouldn't expect 20 dollars, maybe more like 45 or 40 $USD.

Comment

I don't recommend you purchase it from Steam unless you particularly want the Steam community stuff. For me the Steam stuff is at best unnecessary and at worst intrusive. Why not just get it from https://store.elitedangerous.com/? The price is the same and the updates via their launcher seem really good for me.

Comment

I meant to simply state it was out on steam. my responses were about the game in general.

Comment

Its awesome for the company to be providing it on steam. It may cause delays in future development which is a downside. However anyone interested in purchasing this, If you want to get it from steam, I suggest waiting at least a month and seeing if it is working well for users. At this time the website bought is working well. And I agree with Storm on his bit too. Thanks for the Update Alec!

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                I don't recommend you purchase it from Steam unless you particularly want the Steam community stuff. For me the Steam stuff is at best unnecessary and at worst intrusive. Why not just get it from https://store.elitedangerous.com/? The price is the same and the updates via their launcher seem really good for me.
                I very rarely purchase games that are not on Steam, and for a couple of reasons.

I have 350+ games on my Steam account, and I can't begin to explain how much easier it is to maintain my library with Steam. It's just nice having all of my games and add-ons in one place where everything is updated automatically and I can easily view my screenshots/achievments/time played/whatever all in one place. That and having my friends all in one place makes Steam a no brainer for me. If you only play one or two games, then I don't really see the benefit of using Steam.

Also, if E: D is like most other games on Steam that have their own separate launcher, the updates will still be pushed through their servers as opposed to Steams (whether or not this is a good or bad thing is up to the end consumer, I suppose).

I also don't think waiting a month is necessary, I don't see why the Steam version would have issues that the non-Steam version wouldn't. It's the same game, just being distributed on Steam. It does not use Steamworks.
                Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
                Steam Group:
                http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
                YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

Comment

A month for the price to drop maybe.

Comment

The price might not drop but it doesn't hurt to wait.

Comment

I just added this to my Steam wishlist. The great thing about Steam, is that if you want to purchase it for me off my wishlist, I can play it !!! Otherwise, I will have to wait until the Xmas season sales and see if it drops in price at all. $60 is just too steep for me right now. But I am VERY interested in getting this game.
                      “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ak416 View Post
                        I have 350+ games on my Steam account...
                        So that explains why we don't see you here as much as we'd like!

Originally posted by ak416 View Post
                        If you only play one or two games, then I don't really see the benefit of using Steam.
                        C'est moi. And I have to say the social aspect of Steam for me gets in the way of the game playing, rather than enhancing it. (A contributory reason why Classic FSX works better for me than Steam edition.) If I want social, I'll come here. And none of it helps the games I play alone, like Civ.

Originally posted by c0p0ut View Post
                        I just added this to my Steam wishlist. The great thing about Steam, is that if you want to purchase it for me off my wishlist, I can play it !!!
                        I can understand this. It's a good marketing ploy. Amazon does the same, and very successfully.

I hope no one ever buys me things from my Amazon wishlist as I've never used it for that. I never even suspected, originally, that that's what it was for! Instead I've always used it as a personal reminder system, i.e. for listing things I want to come back to and investigate later when I have more time, to see whether I really want them or not. So at any moment my so-called wishlist is full of random stuff, most of which I won't eventually want or get. (I always assume no one is ever going to buy me stuff. Seriously.)

Comment

I was against the idea of Steam when I first heard of it. I was the type who would rather have hard copies of all my software...however I quickly realized how the convenience of Steam far outweighed the benefits of hard copies.

If you only play one game such as flight simulator, Steam would not really make much difference to you (unless you have tons of 3rd party addons). But imagine if you play 3-4 games, say FSX, Train/truck Simulator, Civilization 5, Cities: Skylines, and Elite: Dangerous. You now have all 6 games in one program that automatically downloads and installs while automatically keeping them up to date. Steam also has convenient forums for each game, you can discuss topics right away without having to make accounts for each games website. You also dont have to worry about damaging/loosing hard copies.

Now for FSX, imagine if you have 10 different 3rd party add ons. If you had them on Steam they would be automatically downloaded and installed when you install FSX Steam edition.

For people that have 10+ games I couldn't imagine having to log into 10 different game website to download/install them. Steam also had a bunch of good software like Action!(screen recording software for videos) and other programs.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                          Who has read this thread:
                          Working...
                          X