Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math is fun! (Not really)

Since I'm stuck in an airport (KLIA2 to be exact) for 7 hours and the internet here is so fast (insert sarcasm face here) that the only page I managed to load is msflights.net.. I decided to bestow upon you gentleman and ladies... A math problem that can be easily solved by (but not restricted to) a primary school student.

You went to visit one big palace where 5 soldiers are staying. Each soldier has 5 rooms. In each room there are 4 big tigers. Each big tiger has 4 little tigers. Each tiger has 4 legs. How many legs are there in the palace?

Good luck and I'll post the answers soon

Fun Fact: The tallest ATC tower in the world is at KLIA2 in Malaysia.. right here where I am. Wish I could go in and take a peek inside :P

-k0p
    Last edited by th3k0p; February 14, 2015, 04:34 PM.
    [IMG]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0497.png[/IMG]

8+8=16+10=26
    26 legs

Comment

2012, including all tigers, the soldiers, and you... assuming none of the soldiers (or yourself) is wounded (missing a leg) and assuming we're not counting legs on furniture, architecture, etc.
      Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
        2012, including all tigers, the soldiers, and you... assuming none of the soldiers (or yourself) is wounded (missing a leg) and assuming we're not counting legs on furniture, architecture, etc.
        Yes... unless you're not human (and have other than two legs), and unless the soldiers share some or all of the rooms (very likely), and unless the big tigers share some of the little tigers (because they could be one large extended family), and unless the little tigers are not restricted to being in the same room as the big tigers (as that wasn't specified)... which in the smallest scenario (if we do assume you are human) could be only 1*2+5*2+5*4*4+4*4=108.

How many squares are there on a chessboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
          Depends on if you count beyond the typical recursiveness and include the two additional squares -- one at either end of the table.

In addition to your point of the tigers' individual cases, nothing was mentioned to indicate that the four little tigers 'had' by each of the big tigers are even in fact at the palace... the big tigers could all (or partially) be empty-nesters. All we know is that you, the soldiers, and a bunch of big tigers are actually at the palace.

Oh, also... According to the tense of the question, you may or may not include yourself. You went to visit the palace. Therefore, currently, your legs might not be there in the palace.

Comment

... or are we to take the question literally, and say that there is one LEG in the BIG PALACE? :P

Comment

Originally posted by th3k0p View Post
              You went to visit one big palace where 5 soldiers are staying.

5 soldiers with 2 legs each = 10 Legs + Me and my 2 legs = 12 Legs in total.
              Each soldier has 5 rooms, In each room there are 4 big tigers.
              5 Soldiers x 5 rooms = 25 Rooms x 4 tigers = 100 Tigers
              Each big tiger has 4 little tigers.
              100 Big Tigers x 4 Little Tigers = 400 + the orginal 100 Big tigers = 500 Tigers in total.
              Each tiger has 4 legs.
              500 Tigers x 4 legs each =2000 Legs
              How many legs are there in the palace?

2000 Tiger Legs + 12 Human Legs = 2012 Legs
              If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Doing the math with Microsoft Calculator seems to indicate 2010 since "I went" seems to indicate that I didn't like a palace full of tigers and left in fear of my life.

Ok...checking the Microsoft calculator again seems to indicate 2020 legs not including mine.....dam Microsoft calculator

Ok...doing my own math with a pencil indicates that the first calculation is correct at 2010!

My head hurts.....
                [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0027.png[/img]

Comment

Gentlemen! I'm terribly sorry for the delay.. been really busy since after I landed.. (Which is not a good excuse anyway). Congrats to Wingman and ATC_ROO.. you were both correct.. Unfortunately I have no reward for you guys.. therefore I can only thank you for taking your time to do this.. :P I would also like to highlight the analytical skills of storm and splithorse.. I have not thought of those things at all.. hahaha!

To the rest thanks for trying.. maybe I could do some again in the future

Fun fact 2:

[IMG]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0497.png[/IMG]

Comment

And for those who were wondering, there are of course 204 squares on a chessboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                      Instead of looking it up on Google, I tried to come up with an empirical formula which yielded a result of 204.

8*2 + 7*2 + 6*2 + 5*2 + 4*2 + 3*2 + 2*2 + 1*2 (*2 means squared)

I worked out the formula BEFORE seeing Storm/'s answer.

-Coast
                      Last edited by Coast; February 18, 2015, 12:38 AM.
                      "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Yes Coast! 8^2 + 7^2 + 6^2 + 5^2 + 4^2 + 3^2 + 2^2 + 1^2 (or 82 + 72 + 62 + 52 + 42 + 32 + 22 + 12) is the correct formula.

A chessboard contains:
                        • 64 squares (82 squares) of size 1x1
                        • 49 squares (72 squares) of size 2x2
                        • 4 squares (22 squares) of size 7x7
                        • 1 square (12 squares) of size 8x8

Which adds up to 204.

When I was very young I created this puzzle from scratch, not realizing it had been a stock puzzle for years!

Comment

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                          Who has read this thread:
                          Working...
                          X