Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam FSX server (~msFlights.net~ members)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam FSX server (~msFlights.net~ members)

We now have a password protected Steam FSX server setup for members of our community. The main reason for having the server password protected is to provide our community a server that is not clogged with F-18's, tow planes, AI aircraft, and other erratic flyers.

Password: no password at the moment

Please refrain from the following:
    • Please do not use sailplanes as the towplanes do not leave the server
    • Please do not use smoke trails while flying aerobatic planes, this creates lag on the server
    • Please avoid using 3rd party software that spawn AI aircraft into the server such as FS Cloud, Vatsim, Dafsim etc.

Kalo,

I just connected to the MSflight.net North America server without having to enter a password, have you not implemented this password protection yet or am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

JT

Comment

The MSflight.net North America server is running on Henderson server from Mr. Robert Dunn and no Password protection. Have fun:frog:
      CaseyRyback59/Andreas
      Staff Member
      VA-Manager

Comment

So many people I don't know on the North American server are beginning to join

Comment

The staff at msFLIGHTS.net solicits all member input as to the desire or opposition to permanently password protecting the FSX:Steam host server on a permanent basis. This particular FSX:Steam server is available and subject to password protection at the specific request of group flight leads for specific flights and/or purposes on a short term basis.

In my unsystematic analysis of community opinion on the question of having one and only one of our multiple FSX:Steam servers password protected, I sense that prevalent opinion is running about 4 to 1 against permanent password protection for this North American designated server. Both sides of the server locking question have very valid arguments and we continue to solicit general comment so as to better manage our facilities to the liking and better aviation experience of our members, both regular and new.
          Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT DUNN 2 View Post
            The staff at msFLIGHTS.net solicits all member input as to the desire or opposition to permanently password protecting the FSX:Steam host server on a permanent basis. This particular FSX:Steam server is available and subject to password protection at the specific request of group flight leads for specific flights and/or purposes on a short term basis.

In my unsystematic analysis of community opinion on the question of having one and only one of our multiple FSX:Steam servers password protected, I sense that prevalent opinion is running about 4 to 1 against permanent password protection for this North American designated server. Both sides of the server locking question have very valid arguments and we continue to solicit general comment so as to better manage our facilities to the liking and better aviation experience of our members, both regular and new.
            I think a lot of MSFlights regulars (like me) would agree that for the time being (if available) having one server as open and one as password protected. Passwords being available how they are/were in TS3 and Here on the forums/front page. Which makes it very little effort to get. Usually the type of people we would see flying erratically in f-18's and etc. Except Razor and 4D : P would probably not put forth the effort to find the password and terrorize the calmer part of our community. Everything that has happened so far involving set up for the steam server looks like it is going in the right direction for steam users and boxed. Even though I think it causes more headaches for us, It will create a bigger virtual aviation base for future development in flight simulators. So to sum everything up. My vote is: 1 Locked Members server(Steam), 2 unlocked servers (steam & boxed) if available. If not available, Both servers unlocked. But we don't have to make anything permanent. Just until we have more controllable technology over steam servers like what I think hawgdawg has in the works for us, which many thanks to him!

Comment

Originally posted by jtrakel View Post
              Kalo,

I just connected to the MSflight.net North America server without having to enter a password, have you not implemented this password protection yet or am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

JT
              Thanks I forgot to update this post. I ended up taking the password off.

Originally posted by ROBERT DUNN 2 View Post

Originally I thought a password protected server would be a good idea, but now after further thought I am against the idea...if we only have 1 North American server. When I ran the password protected server for about 2-3 weeks hardly anyone joined, the most I saw were 1 or 2 people at a time.

Since a lot of our members live in the United States/Canada I think we really need a non password server in North America for better connectivity for the majority of members. As of now it seems like a waste of resources to run a password protected server since it would be seldomly used.

Another option we discussed a while back is if Marty would like to host a server on behalf of our Virtual Airline, which could be password protected. I would prefer the password protected server to be branded under our virtual airline name (MSF Airways). This would clutter the server list less with the msFlights.net name...(I would rather not have 10 servers listed under msFlights.net name for spam's sake).

My vote is for a max of 3 msFlights servers along with 1 password protected server for the virtual airline such as:
              msFlights.net AU
              msFlights.net EU
              msFlights.net NA
              MSF Airways (password protected)

Comment

Sounds good to me. We already have a North American server running (Bob), and Novawing is still running the AU server.

Comment

I have no opposition to that. However, Kalo, I think part of the reason only a few joined was because most of the users that come on here to our teamspeak frequently still used boxed, that is slowly changing. It probably isn't necessary for a password protected server until at least two people really ask for it. For the time being, I am happy with boxed, but the new update for active sky next came out today or yesterday so we shall see what the future beholds, would it be a bad idea just to go with the flow? and if its not sensible to be running a computer 24/7 for a password protected then maybe we should leave that computer off till asked? No need to burn the electric bill for nothing!

Comment

I agree with both Kalo and Travis. For now our needs appear to be met with non-password enabled NA and AU servers. Should we require a password protected server I would agree that, provided he is wiling, Marty could host the MSFAirways server.

This would then balance the requirements for those who wish to fly multiplayer uninterrupted as well as welcoming new virtual aviation enthusiasts.

Safe Skies

Novawing24
                    Per Ardua Ad Astra

Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Novawing24
                    Join me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Novawing24
                    Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/novawing24
                    Official Novawing24 website! http://www.novawing24.com
                    My Onedrive! http://tinyurl.com/novawing24-onedrive

Comment

yeah, i agree too and i spoke with WarHawkthe other day, as he ask me for the EU server, i think, as soon as DTG brings the next patch, might be in first half of April, i will start EU server again, too!
                      CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                      Staff Member
                      VA-Manager

Comment

If and when the server is password protected, where would that password be listed for people to find and join in? I hope I didn't overlook that part of the topic already. As far as problem people joining the server, do we not have admin controls? Also, would having a pssword protected server mean we would not need to do a server reset on a regular basis to clear out the ghosts?
                        “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

click on the servers channel in TeamSpeak, look into the discription window u will find the list of servers and with all informations,l like passwords....
                          CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                          Staff Member
                          VA-Manager

Comment

As Casey said we could list the password in teamspeak and also on the website. I don't think we would have to hide it to well...if someone goes through the trouble of finding the password, one would hope they are a more serious pilot.

Originally posted by Travis View Post
                            and if its not sensible to be running a computer 24/7 for a password protected then maybe we should leave that computer off till asked? No need to burn the electric bill for nothing!
                            True, that's why I think it would be good to combine a VA server with password protection, to fulfill a dual purpose from the server. I haven't talked to Marty in quite a while so I am not sure if he is still willing to host a server.

Comment

I also agree that the VA server should be password protected.

And to Copout who asked about controls. We have none on steam. Hawg is working on something that will help us in that respect.
                              Greetings from Dale
                              Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X