Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Career as Flight Instructor? Help?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Career as Flight Instructor? Help?

I've come to terms with the fact that I will never be a commercial pilot due to my psychological history but I think I can still be a flight instructor. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some input? I'm 22 and I have no direction in life yet..

I am currently an unemployed (never employed :frown-new: ), I've attended several years of post high school education but most of my credits are in computer technology. My life is falling down a hill and I really need some help or I'll end up homeless :\
    [CENTER]
    [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0298.png[/img][/CENTER]

I can try and help: 1st off, do you have your license? And if you do, do you hold an instrument rating? Sadly, you DO have to apply for a commercial pilots license. If you can get through all of that, you obtain an instructor certificate. You can look online too for more info. If you like aviation and computers, why not go into aviation technology? Good luck with your future endeavors!

- Pilotman

Comment

Well there are a number of factors here. Becoming a Flight Instructor is one of the hardest things I have ever done. It takes months just build lesson plans to teach from on your check ride, you have two written exams and up to an 8 hour oral.

Being a instructor requires a commercial pilots licence in the Category and class and that itself requires at least private pilots certificate. You also need to have at least a 2nd class medical which means you must be in good physical heath and have no diagnosed psychological issues. If you feel that you have a psychological problem you should not become a problem, not only because it would waste a lot of money if you were to be medically grounded from it but because it having the ability to detect an issue and make an appropriate choice is part of risk management and aeronautical decision making which is a sign of a good airmen.

The problem with aviation is that it is not welcoming to those who have mental handicaps and minor psychological issues even if they are problem that no longer effects you. Its not because aviation feels like its higher then those who have an issue but because peoples lives are at stake and its a stressful environment. Air traffic control is, if I remember correctly, 3rd on the list of most stressful jobs on the planet, Commercial/ATP pilot is 6th. In Aviation, I am reliant on the aircraft designers to design a good airplane. I am reliant on the aircraft technicians to build a good airplane. I am reliant on A&Ps to keep my airplane airworthy and in the air. I am reliant on ATC to keep me out of harms way when I am in the clouds. I am reliant on myself to keep the passengers on board my aircraft safe and to get them home to there families. If one part of the system breaks down for any reason, I might not be able to go home to my wife. That is why aviation has rules in place to prevent the system from breaking down and teaches that if you are having a bad day, don't go fly, don't go work on an airplane. More then once I have had to tell a student or a client, "Today is not a good day, my wifes grandmother died(or something) and I am not fit to fly."

John, I feel you might have to make a choice like that. You may have to decide if with your condition you are fit to fly. If you are more power to you. You can still be a part of aviation, being a pilot is not what its cut out to be in the movies and neither is being an air traffic controller. Its not a glamorous and the money is not what it use to be. Being an Aerospace/ Aeronautical engineer, or a software tech can still allow you to be a cog in the system that makes things fly. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles is becoming a hot industry right now and being one of the people that is split between manned and unmanned its something you can make a lot of money doing and be in a fun work environment.

However, I would say get a job somewhere and get some footing You have to start somewhere and money makes the world go round weather you are putting fuel in to a plane or building software to make something fly. My wife who had no work experience starting college took some pretty crappy jobs before she was able to work for the company she wanted doing the things that she wanted. It wasn't fun and I know because it sucks being married to someone who had to live in another state for work. Plus not being in the position to not walk away from my job and her not being able to do the same kept us both afloat and in a home.

Comment

Here's an alternative. Continue with your computer technology based academic studies and get yourself qualifications that would make yourself attractive to companies that produce full-size flight simulators, the kind used for airline training. Not only might you be employed in a part of the aviation industry this way, you might also get opportunities to fly these huge beasts. It worked for me.

Comment

Well Dakoda... Storm... I wish I could give a better reply but you have given me much to wrap my brain around. For now all I can say is thank you.
          [CENTER]
          [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0298.png[/img][/CENTER]

Comment

With my psychological background would it be possible to be certified as an ATC? Not sure if I already asked.

P.S. If you have more than a post to offer Id rather talk 1 on 1 so let me know please
            [CENTER]

Comment

I would like this to be looked at again, please.
              [CENTER]

Comment

The FAA ATC hiring practices include a psychological evaluation -- an interview with quantitative scoring and metrics that are not revealed to the interviewee or public, but rather used as a part of the decision process in providing TOLs (Temporary Offer Letters), which lead to FOLs (Firm Offer Letters) after the pre-hiring paperwork and security clearance are completed, which lead to training in Oklahoma City (and being paid as an FAA employee at that time). See FAA JO 3930.3, section 5 (pg 14).
                Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                  The FAA ATC hiring practices include a psychological evaluation -- an interview with quantitative scoring and metrics that are not revealed to the interviewee or public, but rather used as a part of the decision process in providing TOLs (Temporary Offer Letters), which lead to FOLs (Firm Offer Letters) after the pre-hiring paperwork and security clearance are completed, which lead to training in Oklahoma City (and being paid as an FAA employee at that time). See FAA JO 3930.3, section 5 (pg 14).

Welp... thats that I suppose.
                  [CENTER]

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X