Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil guidance

Hello,
    I really want to join in the server and participate in routes but i don't want to jump straight in the deep end
    when i am still learning. I really could do with a listed routine check book.

I know you may think really? why is that... Is there nothing on the internet that would show you how to operate
    a Boeing. But merely i ask because certain servers have a different commands.

If there was a listed check book .pdf with instruction. Not a flight check book for a aircraft but more of a on ground
    check book for ATC.

-ParkerFS
    "Its Madness for wolf to talk peace with sheep"
    -Thomas Fuller

Here is my suggestion(I am not a Badged member so if one responds listen to them); Hop on teamspeak, see where everyone is flying, if you want to fly with them join in, if you would prefer to fly on your own for the time being it is understandable, but it does kind of defeat the purpose of multiplayer. Secondly if you have questions about how to operate your aircraft just start politely asking around on teamspeak, from my experience someone will be more than willing to help you.
    If there was a listed check book .pdf with instruction. Not a flight check book for a aircraft but more of a on ground
    check book for ATC.
    I am slightly confused what you are asking here, are you asking if there is a check book for talking to atc? or a check book for Being ATC?
    If the first; No, but as far talking to ATC goes, just tell them you are new to talking to ATC when you first spawn at their airport and again from my experience they will be more than willing to help you out.
    If the second; No, but if you see someone with a Blue Badge next to their name is on teamspak they will be able to help you out with the Phraseology, as well as some of the other controllers.
    I would say feel free to just "Jump in" and most importantly HAVE FUN!
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RrDpHEG.jpg[/IMG]
    [url]www.fsxblueangels.com[/url]

Comment

hi, your questions let me think, that u should first fly all of the lessons and missions on FSX. you will find them on the main screen of FSX. further you can get pilot licenses there. after this you know how to fly a Boing, i guess. and in case of ATC.... check out on our TeamSpeak, there is a ATC section with Tower rooms and stuff and if you see there somebody hosting an ATC session, just join in and listen for a while and when u feel to join in by voice, do it! Our ATC Staff is very good and helpful.....and on our website check the ATC forum, there u wil find help and instructors for lessons, too!

http://msflights.net/forum/forumdisp...raffic-Control
      CaseyRyback59/Andreas
      Staff Member
      VA-Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
        Here is my suggestion(I am not a Badged member so if one responds listen to them); Hop on teamspeak, see where everyone is flying, if you want to fly with them join in, if you would prefer to fly on your own for the time being it is understandable, but it does kind of defeat the purpose of multiplayer. Secondly if you have questions about how to operate your aircraft just start politely asking around on teamspeak, from my experience someone will be more than willing to help you.
        I am slightly confused what you are asking here, are you asking if there is a check book for talking to atc? or a check book for Being ATC?
        If the first; No, but as far talking to ATC goes, just tell them you are new to talking to ATC when you first spawn at their airport and again from my experience they will be more than willing to help you out.
        If the second; No, but if you see someone with a Blue Badge next to their name is on teamspak they will be able to help you out with the Phraseology, as well as some of the other controllers.
        I would say feel free to just "Jump in" and most importantly HAVE FUN!
        Okay when i fly in single player. I am instructed to follow a "heading" - maintain altitude by a robot ATC tuning in to the a airport location channel, I wanted to know if the same apply online regardless of the "Live ATC" who gives a second opinion and clearance to departures.

I have a flight manual now so no need to ask for that but. I also found what i was looking for. There is a checkbook what you can save directly to FSX and open in cockpit.
        -Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by ParkerFS View Post
          Okay when i fly in single player. I am instructed to follow a "heading" - maintain altitude by a robot ATC tuning in to the a airport location channel, I wanted to know if the same apply online regardless of the "Live ATC" who gives a second opinion and clearance to departures.

I have a flight manual now so no need to ask for that but. I also found what i was looking for. There is a checkbook what you can save directly to FSX and open in cockpit.
          Hi Parker, when do you have some time to chat, just let me know when you are available. I am a real world flight instructor in the states and I would be more then happy to give you some guidance.

Comment

Welcome Parker! Hop onto our Teamspeak channel. ..you will find lots of people ready to help you. We are not strict, we are very beginner friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
              Welcome Parker! Hop onto our Teamspeak channel. ..you will find lots of people ready to help you. We are not strict, we are very beginner friendly.
              Thanks i appreciate all the support from everyone. I would like to ask one last question.
              Is the Saitech yoke any good,? I also think the rudder pedals are a must but they are pretty experience together.

If anyone has this product. What is the quailty and substantially like over time. Are they easily broken?
              -Thomas Fuller

Comment

Alot of us use the Logitech 3d pro, its cheap but works really well: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extre...ogitech+3d+pro

I have never used a Saitek joystick but I did have the Saitek flight yoke and throttle quadrant at one point. I sold them on ebay then about a year later I got back into general aviation and wanted to get the whole ruder pedal/yoke setup so I re-purchased them. When I received the new yoke and quadrant I was very disappointed, this new yoke/throttle quadrant was far inferior to the previous Saitek I had owned (exact same model). The throttle quadrant wasn't as precise nor was the yoke, the craftsmanship was also visibly worse. I returned them because they were that inferior. I figured a new company must have bought Saitek and sure enough with a little research I found that Madcatz had bought Saitek. Previously Saitek was an English company that made quality products.

I'm not sure if madcatz have improved the quality of their Saitek products (doubtful) but I would not recommend any of their products seeing the before and after madcatz ownership, and how they degraded the pro flight system to make it as cheap as possible. Again I have never tried their joysticks so I cannot say how they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ParkerFS View Post
                  Is the Saitech yoke any good,? I also think the rudder pedals are a must but they are pretty experience together.
                  It depends, at least in part, on what kind of aircraft you prefer flying and the range of different aircraft you like to fly. For example, Kalo mentions a joystick and they're very flexible for all kinds of flying, though you may find them more twitchy than a yoke with its slower aileron control (unless you adjust the sensitivity carefully).

Yoke or joystick?

If you're an airliner-only pilot, a yoke is typical unless you restrict yourself to modern Airbuses with their side-sticks. If you prefer General Aviation, you'll find both sticks and yokes in real life, and many small military craft use sticks. If you prefer rotorcraft, you'll find sticks too. If you switch between all types, you'll probably find the flexibility of sticks more useful than yokes.

"Scratchy pots"

One thing to bear in mind is that "pots wear out". A pot (or potentiometer for its full name) is the most common way of translating proportional movement, of both a stick or yoke, into an electrical signal. Volume controls on radios, both twist and slide varieties, use pots. And worn ones get "scratchy". On radios, scratchy pots cause crackles. On aircraft controls, scratchy pots cause jumps in your control inputs and sometimes fast wavering around the setting you want. That makes aircraft difficult to control.

Hall effect

A way around the scratchy pot effect is to use Hall effect devices. These convert your control inputs into electrical signals using a non-contact magnet system. Nothing to get scratchy. Potentially these systems can last a longer time and give you smoother control. An example of this is what I use: the Thrustmaster 16000M. (I use a separate Saitek throttle quadrant because although the Thrustmaster uses Hall effect for the stick, it includes a scratchy pot throttle - which I disable.)

Rudders

If you use a yoke and you want rudder control, you'll need pedals; there's no alternative except for using the keyboard. However, if you use a joystick, you don't need pedals as most sticks will give you rudder control by twisting the stick. Note that if you use the rudder for long continuous periods, especially at constant high deflections, the spring tension on the stick twist grip can quickly get tiring and you'll lose precision. That's the case for some fighter planes, some helicopters, or sometimes for vintage GA if you're doing a lot of turns and long flapless sideslip approaches. In those cases, additional rudder pedals are not essential, but they can certainly help. However, if you use the rudder only in short bursts, a twist grip is usually sufficient.

What to buy?

If you're absolutely sure about what and how you're going to fly, then the choice will be straightforward. Choose among brands based on capabilities, reviews and reliabilities. If you're not sure yet, or you want to be flexible, get a joystick with rudder twist capability and eschew the rudder pedals for the time being. Joysticks with a twist are reasonably cheap. Personally I recommend paying a little extra for Hall effect so that if you decide to stick with the set-up, it'll last. Then stay with that set-up for, say, a year, by which time you'll find out what you really want by flying regularly in many different sorts of craft and conditions. If then you need to change, you'll know exactly what to change to and why. Doing it that way also spreads the cost and reduces the risk.

Quadrants

Throttle quadrants - which usually include multiple levers for either multiple engines, prop control, mixture control etc. and are end-to-end stackable so you can add to them - can be a huge plus for realism, controlability and enjoyment. I'd recommend they'd be a second buy or joint first buy with a stick. This Saitek quadrant, that I use, is popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                    It depends, at least in part, on what kind of aircraft you prefer flying and the range of different aircraft you like to fly. For example, Kalo mentions a joystick and they're very flexible for all kinds of flying, though you may find them more twitchy than a yoke with its slower aileron control (unless you adjust the sensitivity carefully).

Yoke or joystick?

If you're an airliner-only pilot, a yoke is typical unless you restrict yourself to modern Airbuses with their side-sticks. If you prefer General Aviation, you'll find both sticks and yokes in real life, and many small military craft use sticks. If you prefer rotorcraft, you'll find sticks too. If you switch between all types, you'll probably find the flexibility of sticks more useful than yokes.

"Scratchy pots"

One thing to bear in mind is that "pots wear out". A pot (or potentiometer for its full name) is the most common way of translating proportional movement, of both a stick or yoke, into an electrical signal. Volume controls on radios, both twist and slide varieties, use pots. And worn ones get "scratchy". On radios, scratchy pots cause crackles. On aircraft controls, scratchy pots cause jumps in your control inputs and sometimes fast wavering around the setting you want. That makes aircraft difficult to control.

Hall effect

A way around the scratchy pot effect is to use Hall effect devices. These convert your control inputs into electrical signals using a non-contact magnet system. Nothing to get scratchy. Potentially these systems can last a longer time and give you smoother control. An example of this is what I use: the Thrustmaster 16000M. (I use a separate Saitek throttle quadrant because although the Thrustmaster uses Hall effect for the stick, it includes a scratchy pot throttle - which I disable.)

Rudders

If you use a yoke and you want rudder control, you'll need pedals; there's no alternative except for using the keyboard. However, if you use a joystick, you don't need pedals as most sticks will give you rudder control by twisting the stick. Note that if you use the rudder for long continuous periods, especially at constant high deflections, the spring tension on the stick twist grip can quickly get tiring and you'll lose precision. That's the case for some fighter planes, some helicopters, or sometimes for vintage GA if you're doing a lot of turns and long flapless sideslip approaches. In those cases, additional rudder pedals are not essential, but they can certainly help. However, if you use the rudder only in short bursts, a twist grip is usually sufficient.

What to buy?

If you're absolutely sure about what and how you're going to fly, then the choice will be straightforward. Choose among brands based on capabilities, reviews and reliabilities. If you're not sure yet, or you want to be flexible, get a joystick with rudder twist capability and eschew the rudder pedals for the time being. Joysticks with a twist are reasonably cheap. Personally I recommend paying a little extra for Hall effect so that if you decide to stick with the set-up, it'll last. Then stay with that set-up for, say, a year, by which time you'll find out what you really want by flying regularly in many different sorts of craft and conditions. If then you need to change, you'll know exactly what to change to and why. Doing it that way also spreads the cost and reduces the risk.

Quadrants

Throttle quadrants - which usually include multiple levers for either multiple engines, prop control, mixture control etc. and are end-to-end stackable so you can add to them - can be a huge plus for realism, controlability and enjoyment. I'd recommend they'd be a second buy or joint first buy with a stick. This Saitek quadrant, that I use, is popular.
                    Thanks, I have had a look around and i have found saitech x52 pro and rudder pedals for a very reasonable price. Its between the x52 pro (joystick) or the yoke. However i will take the advice of others and revert from buying the yoke for the meantime.

There are mixtures of reviews up and down so on the basis of that i will just go with a saitech x52 pro since its comes with throttle and
                    joystick and pedals what would be great. Its still a saitech product but the reviews are more outstanding than the yoke in comparison.

It would be nice one day to make my own real cockpit simulator like they do at cockpitbuilders. I only fly Boeing - Airbus or Private jets. I would fly Cessna but it just a little to easy. Mixtures, props are pretty easy to understand.
                    I would really like to fly cargo planes like a Hercules or C-17 but i do not care for military jets or helicopters. Its just not my thing.

But in all honesty i am still not too sure. I really want a throttle and Joystick. The rudders pedals would be great since there easier to stear a plane with. But i might even get this. Apparently the bestseller at the moment and the cheaper option http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T...itech+joystick

PS. Take a look at this beast. http://www.simw.com/hardware/mytop-flight-panel.html The only downside is that you have to buy the saitech products.
                    Last edited by ParkerFS; November 18, 2014, 10:47 PM.
                    -Thomas Fuller

Comment

Don't get that Thrustmaster I tried the single version without the throttle quadrant and it was really really cheap, I returned it promptly. If you get a thrustmaster I would get the one Storm recommended, i was thinking of giving it a try.

I forgot to mention after returning the Saitek yoke/throttle quadrant I bought the CH throttle quadrant....and must say I was truly impressed. With the madcatz Saitek throttle quadrant my trotlle/prop/mixture levers would skip 3-5% with even the smallest adjustments....so it was impossible for me to increase/decrease the levers by just 1% if I wanted to. The CH quadrant was very precise. The quality and craftsmanship are top notch. It does not feel/look/respond like cheap Chinese made game equipment (no offence China ). I was very impressed with the quality of the throttle quadrant that I read up on the company and apparently they make controls for military equipment such as UAV's. The quadrant I have is actually made in the United States so that would explain the quality compared to Chinese versions.

Its kinda pricey at around $100 but it has 6 levers with indents for reverse thrust or other applications which is nice (as well as a bunch of up/down switches). It's sold out on Amazon at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Th...ottle+quadrant

I have never tried their flight yoke but after seeing the quality of their throttle quadrant I would definitely try it out. They have 2 models, the more expensive one has rudder controls on the yoke itself. Both versions also have throttle/prop/mixture levers on the top. On Amazon it has similar ratings to the Saitek yoke, but remember alot of the good reviews on Amazon for Saitek products are from before MadCatz bought them(around 2008). If you had a pre 2008/09 and after Saitek yoke side by side, you would definitely tell the difference, especially if you got to compare them in FSX. http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Ec...h+Eclipse+Yoke

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
                        Don't get that Thrustmaster I tried the single version without the throttle quadrant and it was really really cheap, I returned it promptly. If you get a thrustmaster I would get the one Storm recommended, i was thinking of giving it a try.

I forgot to mention after returning the Saitek yoke/throttle quadrant I bought the CH throttle quadrant....and must say I was truly impressed. With the madcatz Saitek throttle quadrant my trotlle/prop/mixture levers would skip 3-5% with even the smallest adjustments....so it was impossible for me to increase/decrease the levers by just 1% if I wanted to. The CH quadrant was very precise. The quality and craftsmanship are top notch. It does not feel/look/respond like cheap Chinese made game equipment (no offence China ). I was very impressed with the quality of the throttle quadrant that I read up on the company and apparently they make controls for military equipment such as UAV's. The quadrant I have is actually made in the United States so that would explain the quality compared to Chinese versions.

Its kinda pricey at around $100 but it has 6 levers with indents for reverse thrust or other applications which is nice (as well as a bunch of up/down switches). It's sold out on Amazon at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Th...ottle+quadrant

I have never tried their flight yoke but after seeing the quality of their throttle quadrant I would definitely try it out. They have 2 models, the more expensive one has rudder controls on the yoke itself. Both versions also have throttle/prop/mixture levers on the top. On Amazon it has similar ratings to the Saitek yoke, but remember alot of the good reviews on Amazon for Saitek products are from before MadCatz bought them(around 2008). If you had a pre 2008/09 and after Saitek yoke side by side, you would definitely tell the difference, especially if you got to compare them in FSX. http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Ec...h+Eclipse+Yoke
                        I went ahead a bought the Thrustmaster. I have read numerous reviews and there all 5 stars. It comes with a throttle. I did not want to go all out. I wanted to buy something at a reasonable price and after watching a review about it i had
                        to buy it. Its just a starter setup. I will surely buy something more advanced in the future no doubt. But the value for
                        money on this product looks very good. It also has a joystick resistance setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZuWi3nyYF8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1

It wanted waiting to buy a microphone for FSX. I will maybe buy these released in 4 days. Turtlebeach z60 headset
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTG4zSSkOUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcnmB6Sbc4c
                        -Thomas Fuller

Comment

Sounds good that thrustmaster will probably be just fine since it has a separate throttle control. My main problem with the one I returned was it had a throttle slider that was very inaccurate and flimsy.

Comment

If you ever do get to the point of wanting to build a large grand cockpit, bookmark this link:
                            http://irisdynamics.com/force-feedback-yoke/

They launched a kickstarter this time last year, and are now getting close to shipping. The price is very high at $1500/CDN, but other force feedback yokes on the market are considerably more. This is at least at the top end of the enthusiast range... (It was originally estimated to only be $800... They have said if they get a group order of 100 they could drop it down to $1000... based on the volume price breaks they get from their suppliers)
                            - Michael
                            Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                            Who has read this thread:
                            Working...
                            X