Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Chasers and my ASN views

I wanted to comment on ASN. I tried it last spring and though I liked it and it worked well I didn't think I'd use it often enough. The price has since come down from $60USD to $48USD. With this group's activity I considered it again. I had several issues getting it to run in P3D when I installed the switched to the FSX version.

Many of you might recall that I see the main benefit to being its weather depiction. The clouds in P3D don't pop in and out. An airport in P3D with 1 mi visibility is not going to be seen until 1 mi out. Where as in FSX often the airport is visible from 5000 AGL and then disappears in fog on approach. REX's textures and weather engine, while a great improvement, didn't resolve that issue.

With ASN, I flew a jet around KSEA with 8 mi visilibity and a scattered cloud deck of 800 and overcast at 2000. That is EXACTLY what I saw. No turning, popping clouds. Airport faded in and out of view quite realistically. After flying it for 15 minutes I'd say it looked as good as P3D!

thanks, screenshots look nice. So would you say you like it better than rex?

Comment

Kalo, Pending the results of an hour or so of head to head comparison, I would say certainly. All the guys I know who are in the know about storm chasing and FSX still use REX for textures and Active Sky for weather generation.

Comment

I have not flown in p3d but I do agree it brings realistic weather to fsx. Using the x gauge I flew through a thunderstorm last night and it was amazing. I hopped in the general area of where the storms where and used the in game weather gage to locate the storm it worked well.

Comment

I haven't done it in p3d yet but in fsx it has worked perfectly. The map in ASN is from NASA live monitoring and as your plane travellers through the clouds shown by NASA, see if it is the same in the game.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X