Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random quarter rolls to left or right

Does anyone else have this problem? When flying planes (helicopters don't do this) that use a stick instead of a yoke, they have random quarter rolls to left or right. (Extra, F/A 18, and Mustang) I use an old Saitek ST290 pro joystick and am wondering if this may be the problem. The joystick is calibrated. It did the same thing while using:livid: FS2004.
    Surely this in not a flight characteristic? A random quarter roll 4 feet off the runway is bad.

Watching the flight controls in the game themselves, are there any inputs actually occurring? It may be an issue of aileron trim or a weight indifference in fuel for the wings perhaps as well.

Comment

Hi WarHawk, No, even with no inputs (that I know of), the ailerons move to make a roll even when sitting on the runway. I've been using the joystick for flying helicopters with no problem.

Comment

When my previous joysticks started going south (all sub-$50 joysticks from Saitek and Logitech), they all exhibited the same sign: jumpy inputs. Without touching the control, the various axis would twitch resulting in a sudden pitch (usually up), sudden roll, or sudden change in throttle. I found, after many disassembles and reassembles, that the most effective (and rewarding) solution was to just replace the joystick.

My guess -- as to why you don't see this with helicopters -- is that you're never really "hands-off/dead-center" on the joystick with a heli, so you don't even notice it happening. Think that could be the case?
        Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Hi Wingman, yes, that could be the case. I'm currently looking at joysticks online. In the meantime, I'm still going to adjust the null zone more to see if it will reduce the twitching.
          Last edited by Torchman; November 1, 2014, 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Ordered another Joystick.

Comment

Excellent... Sorry I didn't see your previous update. You'll be flying like yourself again in no time!

Comment

Just got the new Logitec extreme 3d pro. Worse than my old joystick. It feels like it is catching on something when it is pushed all the way forward or aft. It has a lot of slop when centered. Started flying normally, then turned left and was unrecoverable several times. Downloaded Logitech gaming software and calibrated it. Changed settings several times. Unplugged and moved to different USB ports. Restored defaults in FSX. Parameters were normal when calibrating.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED! I disconnected the Genius steering wheel and pedals from the PC. Don't know why, but it was that simple.

Comment

Well... at least you have a solid backup stick now!
                    Glad you resolved it.

Comment

Actually, I did send it back. It had a lot of slop when centered and felt like it was catching on something when pushed all the way forward and aft, but not when moved side to side. I will still order another joystick, just a different kind. CH Products makes a joystick.

Comment

I used one of theirs at oshkosh this year, good stuff

Comment

And here I thought we were talking about a coin...
                          Greetings from Dale
                          Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

After all these years reading about oshkosh....didn't know that flight sim hardware would be there. Makes perfect sense though.
                            Did you happen to try out the Redbird simulator?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                            Who has read this thread:
                            Working...
                            X