How I intend to get rid of my wallet...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I intend to get rid of my wallet...

Occasionally in life, you might see something and immediately decide no matter what it might cost, that you absolutely must have something. At that moment, you know you've committed your wallet to the slaughter, it may be young and growing (as mine is), but you already know it's going to die. I found just that kind of thing if the whole Oculus Rift thing doesn't work. Check out this crazy home cockpit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtOAWjlGsmc
    When God finally says, "King, my office. Now!" I want to go barreling in there half spun out with holes in my clothes, smoke rising from me, and my hair in a mess. I want to be busy. I don't want to go explain myself and not have a great story to go along with it.

Fantastic. I'm not sure if I would want something that geared towards airliner though myself, it wouldn't fit with other aircraft

Comment

Well here's how I've planned to solve the "other aircraft" problem. It's 2014, and the oculus is coming down the pipe soon, so add another 10 or 15 years so I can have the amount of funds necessary to purchase a home cockpit and who knows what kind of VR stuff we'll have. If I wanted to cruise in anything other that the 737, I'd just probably put a chip in the base of my skull and boom lol. Who knows?
      When God finally says, "King, my office. Now!" I want to go barreling in there half spun out with holes in my clothes, smoke rising from me, and my hair in a mess. I want to be busy. I don't want to go explain myself and not have a great story to go along with it.

Comment

I've seen some pretty nice cockpit videos. I think I like this one the best as far as airliners ones go.

Comment

There's an easier and much cheaper way: get yourself a job as an engineer at a company that makes flight simulators, and fly whenever you can on them. What's more they PAY you to do it! Then when you get home, you can still fly real planes. I know I did...

Comment

That's extreme haha I bet his wallet is light now you can tell by the kneeboard all that money in the sim that he has to use a notepad for a knee pad

Comment

This looks like a good place to post this... Last night I fired up P3D (2.4) up and got it running while borrowing a friend's Oculus Rift DK2. Wow. It was an amazing experience.

First off, I had 0 flight controls... nothing. I was hoping to use the mouse yoke/keyboard, but it wasn't working for me. If you had a good HOTAS system, it could work really well.

So I spawned in at my local airport in the stock B58. I was immediately amazed at how it looked... It was like I was really sitting in the cockpit ready to take off. With no controls I hit F4 and slowly left the ground (long after the runway ). In the air I would look down with an amazing sense of depth at farm fields below. This was amazingly immersive. I had my wife try it and she was amazed as well (especially when she moved her head outside the cockpit and saw the wings were not attached ). I then tried the Carenado A-36 and could immediately see differences in the cockpit (both good and bad). Everything had a higher rez feel to it, but the lower resolution/zoomed in screen resulted in unreadable text, and lots of screen door effect.

Pros:
              Most immersive I've seen.
              3D in flight sim is... incredible

Cons:
              Screens are not as crisp as your monitor. Looking at the dash text can be very distorted/blurry. These are limits of the tech. (This should be better with the final version of Oculus)
              Hard to use other peripherals that are not part of your joystick/throttle combo. (For example using the Saitek Switch Panel...)

When final production versions are released I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one. Not so sure though if I'll use it for all my flying. If you just use a HOTAS/Rudder system this may be an awesome way to go. It's definitely exciting to think of the future of simming with technology like this.
              - Michael
              Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              Who has read this thread:
              Working...
              X