• Coast
    replied
    Originally posted by Storm View Post
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Alea iacta est!

Leave a comment:

• Cesar82Pilot
    replied
    I tried that game, but only the tutorial, for some weird reason, i could never play the rest of it, some log info or other crap, I think that their mistake was to make profit of every scenario, if they were doing a FSX improovement, probably the game would have better results.

Leave a comment:

• air1
    replied
    I think everything but multi player will continue to work just fine even if offline, try it.

Leave a comment:

• Novawing24
    replied
    Count me in on that final flight......

Leave a comment:

• WheeledWeevil82
    replied
    I will join you guys... If that does not spoil the moment. :P

Leave a comment:

• Pandanator
    replied
    Originally posted by Wingman View Post
    I want to be sitting atop Mauna Kea at the observatory in my RAAF Stearman when the servers go off-line.
    I think that would be a great way to end the string of group flights. All of us sitting beside the great observatory, gazing at the setting sun as we count down the minutes to the server shutdown. Holding back the... manly tears.

Leave a comment:

• Wingman
    replied
    I want to be sitting atop Mauna Kea at the observatory in my RAAF Stearman when the servers go off-line.

Leave a comment:

• WarHawK
    replied
    It is a little sad knowing that our founding platform may be lost to cyberspace for eternity, and all that we will have left of it will be our videos and screenshots that we created spending time together in the game.

I think we should commemorate what was, what is, and what could have been with a string of group flights in Microsoft Flight some time before the game officially goes offline; With a final farewell in June of next year.

Leave a comment:

• wolfneil
    replied
    /this is indeed sad but FSX is a good alternative!

Leave a comment:

• Wingman
    replied
    Originally posted by Storm View Post
    How doth the busy bee,
    Dum vivimus vivamus,
    I stay mine enemy!

But working to make of it what we can while we can, we delay -- or perhaps therein find some way to defeat -- the inevitability of its demise. It cannot cease to exist entirely if it remains in so little as but memories.

Leave a comment:

• Vidken
    replied
    This reminds me, I still play Falcon 4.0 (1998) online via BMS, and Doom (1993) online via Skulltag/Zandronum. I'd hate to think I wouldn't be able to play these anymore due to some horrendous online dependency.

If Microsoft doesn't want to pay to keep the GFWL servers online, fine, but it's rather disgusting how a lot of these games don't have any form of dedicated server software. People are willing to take on the responsibility and costs to set these up themselves to play with friends, but rather being being given that opportunity, they're told to suck it and not have multiplayer at all.

Gaming in the 2010's is a bit less awesome than I thought it would be when I was dreaming about it back in the early 90's.

Leave a comment:

• WheeledWeevil82
    replied
    Wow... Even though I have not touched Flight in a long time, I am very sad about this because I have so many great memories from it... Maybe I should start the Bing rewards thing back up again to get the P40 for free like I did the rest of the Warbirds... I got up at 4:30 in the morning to download Flight on March first.

Leave a comment:

• F50ACE
    replied
    Well, we still have FSX, and any other sims for the moment. I've beening spending more time in World Of Warplanes just cause I like the combat element. I hope to have the flights finished before that date. I'd like to see a nice sim with the stock detail of flight, but all the functions of FSX. ( That doesn't crash)

Leave a comment:

• Storm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ROBERT DUNN 2
    replied
    This official announcement saddens me even tho I long suspected something like this would be decided at some time. This shutting down of the Microsoft Flight servers comes sooner than I expected. The vague announcement of what I then thought would be FSXI (Microsoft Flight Simulator Eleven) way back in August 2010 was what caused me to invest in a large desktop in January, 2012. You see, I thought such a fast computer would surely be handy to run next the Microsoft Flight Simulator. How wrong I was there, huh? That purchase turned fortuitous tho, when this desktop served several extended tours as our FSX host and was my FSX client in between server stints.

I'm one of those guys that stayed up late the night of February 29th to be the among the first to download Flight. I bought every add on from GWFL at full price the day it came out. At first I only flew single player and was timid and confused in the multiplayer environment. Soon after, after several more positive group experiences, multiplayer was all that I ever flew. Early in this franchise's history, those group experiences were with a British group which I called Microsoft Flight Fours UK. That group is long gone dark. Several of my good friends from there are present with us here like KLM and Oz Flyer and others not so frequent or prominent. After the Microsoft announcement of the cessation of development of Flight and the resultant demise of that UK group, I rejoined some of my old acquaintances in Flight over here at msFLIGHTS.net. I had registered on the original FLIGHTS.net website but, until this discontinuance development and its resultant effects, I had never actively participated in FLIGHTS.net forum nor multiplayer flights. I joined msFLIGHTS.net actively for take two of the Pearl Harbor video shoot and I have been actively involved with this community on a daily basis ever since.

Even considering today's announcement by Microsoft, I will consider my investment in time and money fortuitous and well worth it as my involvement in Flight led directly to my involvement with this active and interesting community we have built.

I'll post more later here in Panda's thread, particularly regarding a redefinition of what the ms in msFLIGHTS.net might be redefined to stand for as an abbreviation.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X