Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Landclass - what a difference!

I've never before spent just $10 on FSX with such good results. The US landclass product from FS Genesis makes a huge and lasting difference to my sim experience.

Who?

FS Genesis are much better known for their many mesh products. But tucked away in a corner of their catalog is a single landclass-only product for FSX, and for United States only. I missed it before now. Many thanks to N404_mike for bringing it to my attention. We were flying the Monday Mail Run over the barren high altitude stretches of Wyoming, and he was seeing settlements by the I-80, that I knew to be there in real life, but which neither default FSX (that I was running) nor FTX Global and Vector (that several others were running) were displaying.

What is landclass?

Landclass contains the details of what each piece of the landscape is used for. Think of it like a zoning map. Is a particular tile a town, or a forest, or desert, or steppe, or grassland, etc.? It's the landclass that tells FSX what textures to display at any particular point and whether or not (and how) autogen scenery ought to kick in. It doesn't matter how good your textures are - whether they're from FTX Global, or default, or some other product - without a good landclass telling FSX what it should be displaying, your experience may fall far short of simulated reality.

Doesn’t FSX have a landclass file already built-in?

Yes, it does. But, from my experience, it falls short of what I want.

What difference does a landclass add-on make?

See for yourself. Here are some screen shots, deliberately set to clear weather, summertime, daytime. The first in each pair is with default FSX landclass only. The second is with FS Genesis landclass active.

In all of these, I have scenery and autogen sliders set fully to the right (and my frame rate set to unlimited). I've kept all the "red letters" on so you can see frame rates for yourself.

You can click on all pictures to see the full-size shot.

KAPA
    Here's my home airport, Centennial (KAPA) in Colorado, short finals for the ILS runway 35R. I was always disappointed with the way FSX rendered the airport's surrounding areas as semi-desert scrub with few buildings. It's not like that; I should know I live here! With the FS Genesis US landclass active, it looks MUCH more like the real thing. It was worth $10 just for that alone!

Without FS Genesis US landclass:

With FS Genesis US landclass:

KLGA
    Overflying LaGuardia (KLGA), New York, and looking toward Manhattan. The areas around New York city center (Queens, in this case) are not, in general, delightful garden suburbs, as default FSX landclass would have you believe! With the FS Genesis US landclass active, it's not as pretty, but it gives a better feel of urban sprawl.

KRWL
    Inbound to Rawlins (KRWL), Wyoming, at the end of the Monday Mail Run, following Interstate I-80 over the barren high wastes. This is what first caught my attention. The town of Sinclair is not large, but it is missing entirely from default FSX landclass. Wyoming is a sparsely populated state, so even the smallest habitations stand out in reality and I feel you should be able to see them.

And this is a Plan-G map showing my position relative to Sinclair and Rawlins when the above screenshots were taken:

Does using a custom landclass impact frame rates?

That depends. If you have autogen set very high, like I do, FSX may display more complex autogen scenery with FS Genesis landclass active, especially in urban areas. That - for me - seems to have a very small impact on frame rates, yes. You can see for yourself in the screenshots. But I'm running a high-end Alienware laptop and fancy graphics card, so my results may not be what you would find.

What about the rest of the world outside the US?

If you're using FS Genesis US landclass as your only landclass add-on (like I am at the time of writing), then that will kick in only for the US. Outside the US, FSX will switch back to its old default.

Does it interfere with products like FTX Global?

As far as I'm aware, no. It shouldn't. N404_mike was running Global and FS Genesis US landclass. The landclass, whether default or FS Genesis, is merely telling FTX what textures to use at any part of the map. That is happening already for you. It should only make it more accurate. Disclaimer: I am about to purchase FTX Global and Vector and I'll tell you for myself when I have them!

Where did FS Genesis get their data from?

They say:

The FSGenesis US National Landclass Project for FSX uses as source data the latest, most highly-refined dataset available to bring the FSX depiction of landuse to the most accurate possible within the confines of the current terrain engine. This product is derived from the 2001 National Land-Cover Database for the United States (NLCD 2001), produced by the Multi-Resolution Land Characterization 2001 (MRLC 2001), a US federal consortium designed to gather an updated pool of nationwide Landsat 5 and 7 imagery to create a second-generation National Land Cover Database.

As in the real-world, this landclass product is a "living" project, meaning that it is in constant evolution. As new, more recent data is discovered, and as local end-user feedback comes in, changes are made and free updates become available.
    Does it take long to download? Is it a complicated install?

No. And no. It's a really small download - less than 3 Mbytes - and so very quick. It has an easy installer. Just check very carefully that the address you are installing to is the correct one. It will prompt you for that, but check it carefully. It should be:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery
    and it will install it in the Scenery folder underneath that, creating one if it's not already there.

If it's that small, is it worth $10?

In my opinion, yes. Easily. The difference it makes is huge.

Would you recommend purchasing GS Genesis US landclass?

If you fly a lot in the US, YES! I am recommending it (though of course not insisting on it) for all my Monday Mail Runs from now on.

Where can I get it from?

Please go here: http://www.fsgenesis.com/us-national...roject-for-fsx

Excellent review, Storm, and nice examples. Sinclair, for instance, is depicted on the VFR sectional chart. It should definitely, therefore, be somehow represented in-world as well.
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
      Does it interfere with products like FTX Global?

As far as I'm aware, no. It shouldn't. N404_mike was running Global and FS Genesis US landclass. The landclass, whether default or FS Genesis, is merely telling FTX what textures to use at any part of the map. That is happening already for you. It should only make it more accurate. Disclaimer: I am about to purchase FTX Global and Vector and I'll tell you for myself when I have them!
      It should work like everything else in your scenery library. So you can sort it to be above or below other entries that may do the same thing. With just landclass it shouldn't be much of an issue, but with vector roads, or objects, you may see multiple that are not quite placed the same as they are layered on top of each other.

It will be interesting to see how the Orbx OpenLC ends up looking for the US... of course at the rate they are putting it out versus their initial goal, we'll probably see NA in 2017.
      - Michael
      Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

looks good, I like how the before and after images are the exact same frame

Do you know if they make a global landclass product?

Comment

Thank you Wingman. Yes, Waterman, I don't expect any problems at all. And Kalo, that's just a little Storm magic (the technical name for which is "pause").

It seems FS Genesis are mainly a mesh company. They make only three landclass products, of which only one is for FSX. (They also do a version of the same thing for FS2002/2004, and a bundled version of Hawaiian Islands 9.6 meter terrain and landclass for FS2004.) So no global landclass product.

Comment

Since there is no Yelp for flight simulator vendors...

I'm a newbie here that just registered and I should probably just read and listen before saying anything but seeing this post about FS Genesis just requires some immediate comment notwithstanding my newbie-ness.

In 2009 FS Genesis owner (Justin was his name, unclear if he is still owner now) wrote his customers imploring us to help save his company by buying a lifetime membership that would allow downloads for both present and future terrain mesh products for, well, life. Fast forward to 2014. FS Genesis closes down one website and after a while opens another website. On the new site they now say that all previous orders were lost in the migration (just look at their FAQ) and, regardless, the lifetime membership would no longer be honored and no offer of a refund (also see their FAQ). I submitted complete documentation of every purchase and they replied with a form letter saying too bad.

So I hope the reader of this gets the idea. FS Genesis has not been very honorable (offer of refund would have been honorable) to its customer base. Question them if you go ahead and place an order. See how you feel about their response. Potential customers must beware and as there is no YELP for FSX I guess it's my duty when I find a reference to this company to relay the experience I and many others have had with them. There are a great number of sim developers that deserve our generous support but FS Genesis is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by brubros View Post
              I'm a newbie here that just registered and I should probably just read and listen before saying anything but seeing this post about FS Genesis just requires some immediate comment notwithstanding my newbie-ness.

In 2009 FS Genesis owner (Justin was his name, unclear if he is still owner now) wrote his customers imploring us to help save his company by buying a lifetime membership that would allow downloads for both present and future terrain mesh products for, well, life. Fast forward to 2014. FS Genesis closes down one website and after a while opens another website. On the new site they now say that all previous orders were lost in the migration (just look at their FAQ) and, regardless, the lifetime membership would no longer be honored and no offer of a refund (also see their FAQ). I submitted complete documentation of every purchase and they replied with a form letter saying too bad.

So I hope the reader of this gets the idea. FS Genesis has not been very honorable (offer of refund would have been honorable) to its customer base. Question them if you go ahead and place an order. See how you feel about their response. Potential customers must beware and as there is no YELP for FSX I guess it's my duty when I find a reference to this company to relay the experience I and many others have had with them. There are a great number of sim developers that deserve our generous support but FS Genesis is not one of them.
              My review was not about FS Genesis but about their product. I have no opinion about the company; I have a strong opinion about the product. So far, my review seems to have inspired 20 or more people to purchase the product and, as far as I know, none of them has been dissatisfied with it. It's a shame you had a bad experience with the company, but the product's $10 price tag hardly rates as generous support and they deserve their money for this one.

Comment

Your review was truly terrific - much better than many. Their product is arguably terrific. Long-time supporters however were shafted. I spent hundreds of dollars with them (not just $10). If I were a potential customer of theirs I would sure like to know about how prior customers were treated so that's all I am doing.

I should have been more clear in distancing the substance of your review from my experience with the vendor however so sorry about that.

Comment

From what I can see it is completely new ownership and management. In that situation it's a hard call. They chose to keep the name and try their best to keep customers by honoring purchases to the previous owner. They could have easily rebranded everything and tried to start from scratch to avoid the problems they had with folks with Galaxy memberships, but it would be much harder to get immediate sales. And at that point FSGenesis would have ceased to exist and you still wouldn't have access to everything.

It definitely sucks when you pay a premium for a lifetime membership only for it to disappear with ownership changes. I personally am glad I only ever bought their stuff when it was drastically marked down.
                  - Michael
                  Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

This is on sale today for thanksgiving for $6.47. http://www.fsgenesis.com/us-national...roject-for-fsx

Their world mesh is also on sale for $16.22. Has anyone tried this/think it may be worth it? http://www.fspilotshop.com/fsgenesis...sx-p-4221.html

Comment

found it cheaper on the Fs Genesis website for $12.97 http://www.fsgenesis.com/world-terrain-mesh-for-fsx

Comment

I make my own terrain landclass "mesh" using SbuilderX over the area that im interested. Somewhat time consuming, but i feel good after making FSX looks better
                        Central American living wanna be pilot :)

Heavy hauler favorite! Jets:anonymous:
                        Most of time near MPTO (Panama) and SPIM (Peru)

Favorite ACs for multiplayer
                        B737-800 Any
                        CRJ-700 Pacifica
                        B747-400 Global Freights
                        KingAir-350 Tricolor

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/CzarWilkins[/url]
                        :D
                        CPU:i5 4670k @4.2Ghz
                        RAM:8Gb
                        Video:GTX770 2GbRam

Comment

Seems we are getting away from the original Storm's post about "land class" to Kalo's post about "terrain mesh". We are talking about two different things aren't we? I don't want to buy apples when I wanted oranges.
                          [COLOR="#008000"]Josh
                          CW4 US Army Retired [/COLOR]:)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            Seems we are getting away from the original Storm's post about "land class" to Kalo's post about "terrain mesh". We are talking about two different things aren't we? I don't want to buy apples when I wanted oranges.
                            Yeah correct!!!

For mesh I use fsGlobal 2010, now upgraded to FSGlobal ultimate america, not tested too much really! Im intersted more in landclass!
                            Central American living wanna be pilot :)

Heavy hauler favorite! Jets:anonymous:
                            Most of time near MPTO (Panama) and SPIM (Peru)

Favorite ACs for multiplayer
                            B737-800 Any
                            CRJ-700 Pacifica
                            B747-400 Global Freights
                            KingAir-350 Tricolor

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/CzarWilkins[/url]
                            :D
                            CPU:i5 4670k @4.2Ghz
                            RAM:8Gb
                            Video:GTX770 2GbRam

Comment

The FS Genesis US landclass works for me on FSX Steam Edition and brings the same improvements. When you run the installer, you just have to specify the appropriate installation directory, which for me was this:
                              C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X