X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few notes on FTX Global, Vector, and Mesh

During last night's Gooney Bird flight I couldn't help but notice some inconsistencies between peoples scenery, including Orbx users not seeing what other Orbx users are. There are a few reasons this might happen. Below I'll list some notes and tips to ensure your scenery is configured correctly.

1. Hybrid Mode - The biggest mistake you can make is to set FTX Central to Hybrid Mode and think you'll never have to touch it again. Hybrid Mode should ONLY be used when flying in or out of an Orbx Region (Like PNW) to a default area or other Orbx region.

Examples:
    PAJN to CYTZ - Hybrid Mode Enabled - Departing from Orbx region to non Orbx region
    PAJN to PAYA - Hybrid Mode Disabled, FTX Central set to North America - Flying within an Orbx region
    PAJN to YPAD - Hybrid Mode Enabled - Departing Orbx region, leaving Orbx region, entering different Orbx region

However, if your goal as an Orbx user is to fly with non Orbx users and have matching mesh, simply set FTX to Global and do not tick Hybrid Mode.

2. Vector users - Vector contains airport elevation corrections, most which do not match up with the the default FSX mesh. As of version 1.15, they released a tool to fix that.

There is a tool that will automatically scan your scenery library for airports it will deem to be conflicting. What this does NOT do is automatically restore all of your airport elevations back to default. To do this, you MUST disable AEC for ALL airports. I have created a profile for VECTOR that has AEC disabled for all airports, which can be download HERE. To use it, open the FTX Vector Configuration Tool, browse to the Airport Elevation Corrections tab, and click Load Profile in the bottom left corner to load the file you just downloaded. Make sure you click Apply! The column labeled "AEC IS ENABLED FOR:" should now be empty, and all airport elevation data should be consistent with default FSX data.

3. Ideal Group Flight settings - Your ideal settings for a group flight where the majority of users do not have the Orbx region you are using are as follows:

FTX Central set to Global, NO HYBRID MODE! Hybrid Mode WILL alter your mesh.
    FTX Vector with all AEC disabled.

This configuration allows you to use FTX Global textures, FTX Vector data and any other landclass products you might have installed while not altering the mesh. Bear in mind, any other products you have installed that do not use FTX Central (Tongass Fjords, for example) have not been taken into account in this post and will have to be manually adjusted to suite your needs.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments, I'll try and keep this post up to date as more updates are released.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
    Steam Group:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

That is great information, ak. Thank you. :eagerness: It goes a long way toward clearing the reticence I've had about purchasing these products.

Comment

Thanx, AK, but i have a question... allways, when i fly from KBOS to KSEA i'm crashing during the approach...OOM. I did it with Global, Global Hybrid and Northamerica settings... allways crash by running out of memory. the last VA flight i just could make because as i got the first OOM warning from windows, i went quick to fsx settings scenery and put all to zero, so i touched down sent the report. then i thought to put the settings back to normal and it crashed with OOM. i read alot in fsx forums but nobody has a good solution. My rick setup u can see in my signature and i'm using all Orbx sceneries and airports, Tonga Fjords, all OZx airports for Australia and NA, Steves DX10 Fixer to run DXD10, Rex4 and FS Global 2010. All runs fine except this KBOS-KSEA flight.
      CaseyRyback59/Andreas
      Staff Member
      VA-Manager

Comment

AK, thanks for that information! Very useful knowledge.

Comment

That is strange indeed. You have 16GB of system memory so there is no problem there besides, I think FSX only uses 2GB or 3GB anyway. What kind of video card do you have? Maybe it has something to do with running 3 monitors at the same time? Have you tried it using only one monitor? I am currently using P3D v2.2 and have not had any OOM's. I use FSX for multiplayer only now, but I have never had any OOM's in FSX. I couldn't use P3d v2.0 or v2.1 do to OOM's in the same flight area you are talking about and setting the vegetation generation to zero would also prevent the OOM's. Seattle is a very intensive area, lots of trees, buildings and mountains that all want memory. P3D has optimized the tree generation, greatly reducing the amount of memory needed for each tree...something like from 276bytes to like 16bytes a tree.
          [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0027.png[/img]

Comment

To Splithorse.. yes i'm using 2 graca's from gigabyte GTX 650 OC with 2046Mb each, on 1 i have the game monitor and on the second i use the other 2 monitor's. both graca's are overclocket to 1202 mhz GPU-CLOCK and 2600Mhz of MEMORY-CLOCK, so i think thats plenty and not the prob.....the max Virtual Memory what FSX is using is 4Gb and there i got the OOM's, not in the 16 GB of Physical Memory...
            CaseyRyback59/Andreas
            Staff Member
            VA-Manager

Comment

Casey, check out this article. Looks like it might be exactly what you are looking for. I have never had OOM errors so I unfortunately can't be of much help :\

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/f...don-vas-usage/
              Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
              Steam Group:
              http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
              YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

Comment

I created an account just to Thank You! I was having issues with KDEN by FlightBeam - there were cliffs surrounding the airport, taxiways, and runways (I felt like I was taking off from one of the Death Star trenches). I followed your advice and the problem is now solved!!

Thank you!
                Stevan

Comment

Hi ak416, just an appologize, because i never said thank you for this:
                  Casey, check out this article. Looks like it might be exactly what you are looking for. I have never had OOM errors so I unfortunately can't be of much help :\

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/f...don-vas-usage/
                  Since i did this i allready forgot the OOM's.......
                  CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                  Staff Member
                  VA-Manager

Comment

Since this thread seems to have helped so many people (some of whom have said so in thread), I'm making it a 'sticky'. :eagerness:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X