X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrain Mesh

originally posted by waterman....

After the helicopter flight in Hawaii on Friday I mentioned terrain meshes and piqued some peoples interests. I think the best way to describe terrain mesh is by pictures. So attached are 3 images from the same location in New Jersey (images were taken with a photo scenery)

One at the FSX default for the US of 38 Meters,

one at 10 M,

and one at 5 M.

So as you can see the difference is in elevations of the land itself. Think of it this way.. the 38M mesh has data points 38 Meters apart. This means a general smoothing. The larger the number even more smoothing. Some of the FSX default world is up to 612M! But if that is a superflat part of the world, with no geographic features, that’s great. It saves disk space. But in some areas you want the world to look more realistic. So the 10M mesh has datapoints 10M apart. And the same for 5M.

There are Payware addons, such as FS Genesis, that have higher resolution meshes, and there is also a lot for free. Both Flightsim.com and Simviation have lots of it. You can also use http://www.freewarescenery.com/ to find mesh for the part of the world you like. I’ve uploaded most of the continental US in 10M to Hawg’s FTP, along with 10M Hawaii, 5M New Jersey, and 5M Mount St. Helens. Simviation limits you to 2 transfers at a time at 39kbps without paying for access. So much easier to grab it for our group if you want it. Let me know if you have questions.
    Last edited by Waterman981; May 11, 2013, 02:23 AM.

previously from waterman....
    So last night I took the plunge and bought my first pack from FSGenesis. They just released the Northern Andes which takes the mesh from 612M to 19M!
    The major reason I decided to jump on it was right on the front page they listed a coupon for 60% off their entire catalog. I probably should have gotten Europe as well, but I figured the Andes should be fun to fly through. They are working to get the entire world up to at 19M mesh or better (as the FSGenesis product for North America is already a 10M mesh).
    So if you are interested check it out, no word on how long the coupon will work. http://www.fsgenesis.com

Comment

Mesh,mesh, mesh. This gets expensive.

Does anyone know if FS Global is a world wide mesh "all in one package" right now it's 70 euros.

Comment

It is for elevation mostly, i dont see any new terrain, has some errors in elevations, mostly of lakes and rivers, is good if you want to fly in middle of mountains!, if you can afford it, get it!
        Central American living wanna be pilot :)

Heavy hauler favorite! Jets:anonymous:
        Most of time near MPTO (Panama) and SPIM (Peru)

Favorite ACs for multiplayer
        B737-800 Any
        CRJ-700 Pacifica
        B747-400 Global Freights
        KingAir-350 Tricolor

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/CzarWilkins[/url]
        :D
        CPU:i5 4670k @4.2Ghz
        RAM:8Gb
        Video:GTX770 2GbRam

Comment

From what I understand,you need Vectors to correct rivers and lakes which is something different from mesh.

This is one I'm looking at. All Orbx since I'm still building a new FSX sim.

FTX Global
          FS Globalmesh...maybe Ultimate North America as well.
          FTX Vectors ,which comes out next month from FS Pilots (FS Global) and Orbx
          Orbx LC
          Then I might add some Orbx regions.
          Last edited by jj2414; September 16, 2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

My pc is already taxed out with what i have already lol, so im not getting more payware scenery for sometime!

I cant help you with that sorry!

Anything is better than stock fsx lol!
            Central American living wanna be pilot :)

Heavy hauler favorite! Jets:anonymous:
            Most of time near MPTO (Panama) and SPIM (Peru)

Favorite ACs for multiplayer
            B737-800 Any
            CRJ-700 Pacifica
            B747-400 Global Freights
            KingAir-350 Tricolor

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/CzarWilkins[/url]
            :D
            CPU:i5 4670k @4.2Ghz
            RAM:8Gb
            Video:GTX770 2GbRam

Comment

Unless I'm missing something it looks like currently FSGlobal 2010 is the one that is 70 Euro's. So FSGlobal 2010 is the entire globe, but they also have a newer, higher detailed product in FSGlobal Ultimate, but that is broken into three regions. My understanding is that all the FSGlobal Ultimate series results in about 120GB of data uncompressed... Make sure you have the room!
              - Michael
              Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

That's one of the reasons I would stick with FS Global. My entire FSX is only about 25GB.

Comment

I used to swear by FSGlobal until I looked into FSGenesis. FSGenesis has automatically corrected the plateau problem in 90% if the "problem" areas, and they have the same 10m mesh resolution as FSGlobal.
                  "Remember, when in doubt hold on to your altitude, no one has ever collided with the sky"

"Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance"

"Respect the ground, for during the 100 or so years that man has been flying things made of metal going hundreds of miles per hour, and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose."

[IMG]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0041.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8081/8414713730_5a72947ba2_o.png[/IMG]

Comment

*edit*
                    so if I understand right FTX Global does not include mesh and is only textures...? So would you have to buy FSGenesis World Mesh to get better mesh with FTX Global? Does anyone know if they work together ok?

Comment

yes,yes and yes. FS Genesis and FS Global are mesh both of which will work with FTX Global.

Comment

And there is a bunch of freeware mesh out there as well... I know Simviation has a 10M mesh for the US available to download that I mentioned in the OP. I had a few anomalies, but it wasn't too bad. I'm now using FSGenesis mesh myself.
                        - Michael
                        Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        Who has read this thread:
                        Working...
                        X