Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazer's Around the World Returns!---Season 5--- Episode 1: The Curious Professor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazer's Around the World Returns!---Season 5--- Episode 1: The Curious Professor

Hi pilots! Looks like its time to dust off those cargo-props for another adventure around the World!

Thursday night will mark the beginning of our 5th trek Around the World as we transport a very distinguished and very odd Michigan State University Professor from MSU's campus in East Lansing to a physics conference in Chicago. H.Q. has given us very few details on our brilliant passenger, except that we are to extend every possible courtesy to Professor Willard, and to make sure to cater to his every need.

Tonight's Flight Plan:

Mansfield Lahm Regl. Departure (KMFD)
    Lansing- Capital City Intl. (KLAN)
    Chicago Midway- (KMDW)
    Return to MSU- Lansing Capital City(KLAN)

A Flightplan .PLN file for this flight can be found here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kE?usp=sharing

This flight will take place in SimLink. See here for details:

Please connect to SimLink using the following IP:

AIRCRAFT
    The preferred aircraft is the C-130 Hercules. Alternatives include the C-97 Stratofreighter, the Antonov An-12 and An-32, the C-133 Cargomaster, the Howard 500 and the Boxcar - or any cargo prop that can do 260 kts IAS at around 9,000 ft.
    No Jets.

-------------------------------------------
    Not sure what to fly?

For those who don't have or don't want to fly the C-130, Storm was kind enough to document which are the best planes for these "Around the World" cargo flights. This should help you decide.

• C-97 Stratofreighter Popular, quality freeware that comes with an installer (v2) available here, or without an installer (v3) but with extra models and separate optional extra mods and liveries here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • C-133 Cargomaster Largest aircraft with massive payload. Easy to fly (with practice). Keeps up with the C-130. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section; install both v1 + cumulative v1.3 upgrade). Warning: a small number of pilots have frame rate problems when flying this aircraft.
    • An-12 Most similar to C-130. Most extras (airbrake, autothrottle, paradrop). Russian annotations. Most difficult to fly. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • An-32 Most frame-rate friendly. Best cockpit model. Easy to fly except long spool time. Needs refueling on long flights. Download with an installer here.
    • Howard 500 Easy for piston engine pilots. Best climber. Tail-dragger. Performance tails off at altitude. Poorest frame rates. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • C-119 Boxcar Easiest to fly. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
      • Re-engined (French) variant: Faster. Normal climb rates.
      • Normal engine variants: Slower. Half the climb rate so gets left behind on short-medium length flights.

Comparative flat-out speeds:

Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:
    Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

X-Plane 11 includes a C-130 as a default aircraft. To give it a 3D cockpit, fix a couple of bugs and to get a very basic SimLink model matching file, I've added a mod to Storm's Hangar and you can download it from there.

The original files were provided by pilots at x-plane.org. They're credited in the mod's readme. The bugs I fixed were:
    * Inability to maintain altitude on autopilot (it kept climbing slowly). I've increased the elevator trim tab's angular range in the nose-down direction and reduced its deflection time.
    * The prop looked unrealistic when spinning. I've reduced its opacity by 80%.
    * The SimLink model matching (XSquawkBox CSL files) had texture errors and static props. I've improved the textures (slightly), removed the props, and limited it to a single livery.
    There may yet be other bugs to fix!

Comment

After such a long wait I was really looking forward to this. Alas time is not being kind this week. Had to postpone anniversary dinner last night because I got stuck at work. So we're going tonight. Hopefully I can join late, but join. Hope you all have fun if I don't make it.

Storm: Kudos friend on the tweaks for the C-130. Can't wait to try it out. Still haven't corrected the view issue that the Oculus Rift caused with XP. But I will.

Comment

Pictures of start around the world flight lap 5 by Lazerbolt. Lap 5 http://imgbox.com/g/0RqUuttZV2

Comment

13 pics from the flight, with my MC-130P Combat Shadow in X-Plane 11.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X