Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VATSIM Backcountry Short Hops Idaho

For this flight we'll be doing some back country short hops around some the Idaho mountains on the VATSIM servers. Many of the airports in the area are fairly easy. Some not as much. Altitude, density altitude and grass strips will provide a interesting but not overwhelming challenge for take offs.
    • Resources:

• Flight Plan: Plan on starting @ Johnson Creek Airport in Cascade, ID (3U2). We'll be visiting some of the strips to the north and east of 3U2. From 3U2, let's fly to Big Creek, Soldier Bar and the Flying B Ranch Airstrip.
    • Aircraft: Many of the single engine aircraft we ordinarily fly will work for these hops. Stepping out of the comfort zone into a bush style tail dragger might had to the fun of the flight. Plan on airspeeds in the 100 knots indicated range. I'll likely be flying a Super Cub, possibly a C-185.
    • Server Information : Refer to the instructions posted for our initial group flight on VATSIM for information. <link>. In addition to that information, X-Plane users need only enter the appropriate information into XSquawkBox v1.3.3
    Last edited by Karl; July 20, 2017, 12:32 AM.

Freeware Super Cubs for XP11 (good, 1 with tundra tires) and FSX (only basic). Additional XP11 3D scenery here, including for 3U2.

Comment

Looks like we have a bit of a challenge in store for us this evening. I was hoping in the past couple of days that they would put this fire out but no dice. It's location comprises some of the area I had planned to fly.

We're going to have to fly over some mountains to avoid this TFR area.

Comment

Flying a Super Cub in X-Plane 11/SimLink...

First landing at Big Creek

Land uphill and take off downhill at Soldier Bar USFS

Bernard USFS nearby with Flying B Ranch in the distance

Bernard USFS approach for touch and go

End of journey at Flying B Ranch

Comment

Here are a few pics. I had a really great time. Thanks for the flight Karl.

http://imgbox.com/g/RytgA7IU5x

Comment

Looks awesome. I wish I could have joined you guys. (Bushman Jr. has been taking more time these days...)

I did an air mail run as a passenger in Idaho in the mid-90's. We landed at Big Creek, Soldier's Bar, and a few other air strips. Amazing! That flight may have spurred my interest in aviation. I think the air mail run ended around that time. I'll post photos if I find 'em. (I've all but forgotten how to deal with "analog" photos...)

Thanks for posting the Idaho Exposed video. It brought back some good memories for my dad and myself.
            Craig "Bushman"

Find me on: MyCockpit.org, AlmostAviation.freeforums.net

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X