Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazer's Around the World/ Back in Time- EXTRA EPISODE: Midnight Madness Movie Night! (11 pm EDT Saturday night)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazer's Around the World/ Back in Time- EXTRA EPISODE: Midnight Madness Movie Night! (11 pm EDT Saturday night)

Hi guys! Looks like its time for another msFlights Movie Night!. So set your auto-pilot, grab some popcorn and enjoy the in-flight movie!

Saturday night HQ has tasked us with moving our time-traveling fleet across the great distance between Hawaii and San Francisco. This is a distance of more than 2,000 miles so we will need a special set of aircraft for this one!

Our cruise will be at speeds of mach 1.8 to mach 2. at 45,000+ feet. (i.e. 1,000+ knots ground speed.)

Aircraft:
    Any aircraft capable of traveling 2000 nm in 2 hours non-stop such as:
    Concorde
    the F-111 and the XB-70
    The Convair F-106A Delta Dart (not realistic, but will work in FSX)
    Feel free to fly any fictional vehicle that is up to the task as well. I will be flying the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars.
    We are not aiming for realism on this flight, so adding fuel mid-flight (via the fuel/payload screen) is acceptable if you need.

Some may remember the last Movie Night was hosted by Storm in December. Any vehicle used on that night will be fine for this flight as well. Here is a link to that event that includes great discussions on possible aircraft as well as links to a few of them.
    http://msflights.net/forum/showthrea...mber-29th-2014

Thursdays flightplan: PHNL --> KSFO

So bring your favorite beverage, pop some corn and join us Saturday as we enjoy an in-flight movie together! (I will supply a link to the movie we will watch with MovieSync on Thursday.)

Hope to see everyone there!

Happy landings,
    Lazer

please visit my Onedrive here:
    Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

I shall fly the Orion III spaceplane, modeled as the Boeing 7072 by Tim "Piglet" Conrad. Many will recognize this fictional craft from 2001: A Space Odyssey as the shuttle docking at Space Station V to the strains of The Blue Danube. It's available with an installer from rikoooo here, and it's up to the standard you'd expect from one of Piglet's Peculiar Planes.

Climbing out at 14,000ft over Molokai.

Once you have learned to tone down the severe acceleration at take-off (which is perhaps best done at half throttle) so you an maneuver and set course, the Orion III is easy to fly. Landing with a Vref of 150 knots is appropriate. As for cruise, the Orion III will max out at Mach 1.77 at any altitude between 1,000 and 50,000 ft. This gives a ground speed according to the following graph, and certainly adequate for this movie flight:

Why am I not flying Concorde? Although I loved the real-life airplane - it flew directly over my house several times a day for 12 years - FSX freeware models can be tricky to fly, requiring control via flaky popups that often crash after a while. (This has happened to me on each trans-Pacific group flight I've flown it on.) Moreover, its packet rate of nearly 700 is risky. By contrast, the Orion III sends 150 packets.

Comment

I can finally do another one of your group flights, and im looking into switching my days off to include Thursday, so hopefully I will be able to attend more of these amazing flights soon! Now to find which supersonic jet to fly!

Comment

Just a reminder for tonight's Saturday night Special Movie Flight!

Grab your favorite beverage, Pop some corn and bring your Supersonic aircraft to PHNL Honolulu for an 11pm EDT departure!
        Happy landings,
        Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

The Orion III spaceplane (Boeing 7072) en route and at KSFO.

Click on the pics for full-size/clarity.

Climb out from Hawaii.

Over the Pacific.

Journey's end.

Last edited by Storm; July 19, 2015, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Steam with Buck293:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X