Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MONDAY MAIL RUN #14 (EXPRESS!): Elko to Reno

Today we return to our express plane, the Lockheed model 9 Orion, to fly our longest leg to the Biggest Little City in the World. We're making extra stops - because we can and because it's fun - as we fly through the pleasant Nevada countryside, racing at road level between trees and down a few canyons.

Week 14: Elko, NV to Reno, NV
    via Battle Mountain, Winnemucca and Lovelock.

(Note the original flights did not have intermediate stops; that is just for our convenience.)

Depart: KEKO (Elko Regional).
    Original 1920s airmail departure airport.
    Intermediate stop 1: KBAM (Battle Mountain).
    Intermediate stop 2: KWMC (Winnemucca Municipal).
    Intermediate stop 3: KLOL (Derby Field, Lovelock).
    Arrive: KRNO (Reno/Tahoe International).
    Nearest airport to original 1920s airmail destination. The original 1920 airport was called Reno Air Mail Field, renamed Blanchfield Field in 1924 (after pilot William Blanchfield, who lost his life when his plane plummeted to the ground as he tried to circle the Hillside Cemetery to drop a wreath on the grave of Samuel Garrrons, an air mail service mechanic), and later contracted to Blanch Field. In 1928 the airport moved 2 nmi east to Hubbard Field, which was renamed Reno Municipal Airport in 1956, Reno International Airport in 1960, and Reno/Tahoe International in 1994. The original Blanch Field is now the site of Washoe County Golf Course.

Aircraft: Lockheed model 9/9D Orions only.
    You can download the airplane from my Vintage Hangar here:
    http://tinyurl.com/storms-orion.
    If you use the Chrome browser, and you haven't downloaded the plane before
    be sure to read the "CHROME HAS BLOCKED IT! HELP" file there first!

Altitude: Low!
    Speed: 200 mph (174 kts) cruise.
    Flight plan: Following Interstate I-80. Maps and more details here.

Scenery:
    • Default OK.
    • Highly recommended: FSgenesis US landclass.
    • Desirable: FTX Global or other texture improver.
    • Desirable: FTX Vector (please set to Global region, non-hybrid, with all airports visited as exceptions) or other line feature improver.
    • Tunnel! In the 5th minute of our first leg there is a short tunnel for the I-80 and railroad. Vector correctly displays this. Default does not.
    • Undesirable: Any airport scenery packs that change runway elevation or position.

Mail plane taking part in the 4th of July parade through Reno, 1922.

nice picture! ahhh the good ol'days!

Comment

I wonder what these guys are doing?

Description: Airmail employees transferring airmail bags from one de Havilland (DH-4B) aircraft to another at the Reno, Nevada airmail field. On September 8, 1920, the Post Office Department completed the western leg of the nation's transcontinental flyway. Mail was flown through Reno on its way between San Francisco, California and New York City, New York. The 1921 "Transcontinental Air Mail Pilot's Log of Distances, Landmarks, and Flying Directions" provided to all airmail employees described Reno's airmail field as follows: "The air mail field at Reno lies two miles west of the city. The main runway lies east and west. The field is marked by a T and wind indicator. And landing from four ways is unobstructed. Reno is 4,497 feet above sea level. Whenever possible it is advisable to leave the Reno field on the east-west runway, taking off to the east. A slight downgrade enables the ship to quickly obtain flying speed. Just beyond the east edge of the field the ground is extremely rough and there is a huge ditch here." National Postal Museum, Curatorial Photographic Collection Photographer: Unknown

-Coast
      Last edited by Coast; June 18, 2014, 06:29 PM.
      "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

These guys seem to be everywhere. First they load the planes with the mail, move them into position for a photograph, and then stand around until the picture is taken.

Contract airmail pilots and planes outside the Reno, Nevada hanger. Reno was one of the first cities served by contract airmail, or CAM service.

Source: http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/exhib..._contract.html

-Coast

Comment

Flight plan and maps...

Comment

Reminder! Join the crew! Bring your Lockheed 9 Orions to KEKO for our express flight to Reno (at 9pm Eastern tonight).

Comment

[url=http://onedrive.live.com/?cid=d254b6e1b9854bf4&id=D254B6E1B9854BF4!387][img]http://dumpt.com/img/files/kypztx3x56pqaohrixnw.jpg[/img][/url]

Comment

A couple of Monday Mail run snaps!

Happy landings,
                Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Wonderful shots. Thanks guys! Two of my own from over Reno afterward. Please click and F11 for full size...

Comment

I guess I just use my VC most of the time. Here are some screenshots using default scenery.

-Coast

Comment

Thanks Coast. Nice! I think we all use VC most of the time, expect for screenshots if we can get to the F11 key briefly. Of course that's not always possible when hedgehopping like this.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X