Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MONDAY MAIL RUN #4: Bellefonte to Cleveland

Updated version (1.1) of the Boeing Monomail available!
    If you already have v1_1 installed, please skip to the flight plan in the
    next post.
    If not, you can download it here: http://tinyurl.com/storm-monomail
    This fixes the "missing gauges" problem some people had. For more details, see below.

Week 4: Bellefonte, PA to Cleveland, OH via Grove City, PA.
    (Note the original flights did not stop at Grove City; that is just for our convenience.)

Depart: KUNV (University Park).
    Nearby airport with parking to original departure from Bellefonte.
    Intermediate stop: 29D (Grove City).
    Arrive: KCLE (Cleveland-Hopkins International).
    The second original 1920s destination, now significantly developed.

Aircraft: Boeing model 221A Monomail only.

For more details, click here or "View replies to this Event" (at the bottom right of this post).
    What's in the new version of the Monomail
    Full list of changes, from v1.0 that we used for week 3 from New York to Bellefonte:
    • Borrowed DC3 gauges and sounds are now local and don't rely on previous installs.
    • Start switch (did not work reliably) replaced by red start button (forces auto-start).
    • Antilock braking system button added next to gear switch (Gabriel Voisin, 1929 vintage).
    • Cleaned some of the bugs off the windshield (credit and thanks to N404_mike).
    • New menu thumbnails so you can see the options more clearly.

What's not in the new version
    I've missed out two of N404_mike's other suggestions:
    • Change of prop texture. Existing one works well for me - or at least I prefer it!
    • Increase in rudder effectiveness. Existing setting works well for me, allowing coordinated turns even when over 45° bank.

How to install
    If you flew the Monomail for MONDAY MAIL RUN #3, and already have it installed, you will need only to replace your existing "Boeing 221A Monomail" folder in your FSX SimObjects\Airplanes with the new one in the download. You can ignore the other two downloaded folders as they haven't changed; they're only for new installers. Full installation instructions are included in the download.

The next Monday Mail Run, and beyond...
    For MONDAY MAIL RUN #4 we'll be flying the Monomail again, this time from Bellefonte to Cleveland. At Cleveland we'll be changing aircraft and flying another airplane that was used on the first transcontinental US airmail runs in the 1920s: the Junkers F.13.

Flight plan
    Following post...
    Last edited by Storm; April 8, 2014, 11:05 PM.

Bellefonte to Cleveland - flight plan

This week we'll be flying the Monomail again. If you haven't got the latest version, please see the previous post. Our destination will be Cleveland, Ohio.

When transcontinental airmail began on 8 Sept. 1920, planes made their Cleveland stop at Martin Field, located behind the aircraft plant on St. Clair Ave. That airfield is no longer there, but we'll overfly it as we approach TABEY NDB.

The U.S. government considered this makeshift field unsatisfactory and, in 1925, what eventually became Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport emerged when a team of city officials and Army Air Service personnel selected 1,040 acres at Brookpark and Riverside Drive as the site for a new municipal airport. The much larger facility reflected good long-term planning, although the administration and passenger buildings did not open until 4 years later.

Our progress so far... (click on the picture for full-size)

Week 4: Bellefonte, PA to Cleveland, OH via Grove City, PA.
    (Note the original flights did not stop at Grove City; that is just for our convenience.)

Depart: KUNV (University Park). Nearby airport with parking to original departure from Bellefonte.
    Intermediate stop: 29D (Grove City).
    Arrive: KCLE (Cleveland-Hopkins International). The second original 1920s destination, now significantly developed.

Aircraft: Boeing model 221A Monomail only. New version 1_1 strongly recommended.
    See previous post for details. Available from the Vintage Hangar of Storm's Skydrive (click banner below) with 7 liveries.

Altitude: 3000 - 3500 feet, cloud permitting.
    Speed: 145 mph approx.

Scenery: default is good.
    Scenery Complexity (Options > Settings > Display > Scenery): Do not set to "Very Sparse", or you will not see some waypoints. "Dense" or higher is recommended, to see waypoints at greater distances. Set as high as possible while maintaining reasonable frame rates. If your frame rate is a problem, reduce Autogen Density first, rather than Scenery Complexity, to boost frame rates.

Click on the flight plan and maps to download.

Please note:
    • The route is a mix of visual waypoints and NDB fixes.
    • The yellow rings on the map are range limits for each NDB (37 nmi).
    • We will track toward NDBs using our RMI as soon as we have a positive fix.
    • If the weather is very bad with poor visibility, we may also track outbound.
    • When using the ADF/RMI, ensure you have your COM radio on too (down = "Ein") , as the switch on that is the master for both.

Comment

Reminder: Tonight's Mail Run starts at 9pm ET. Boeing Monomails only. See first post above to download. Flight plan also above. See you at KUNV!

Comment

Workers at Glenn L. Martin Co. (next to Martin Field, Cleveland, original airmail stop) taking a break from working on a Martin Bomber.

Comment

Look Ma, no Windows!

Source: http://centennialofflight.net/essay/...rmail/POL6.htm

Another of those airplanes without the windows:

Source: http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/airma..._monomail.html

Last edited by Coast; April 15, 2014, 03:49 AM.
          "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Here you go guys
            When God finally says, "King, my office. Now!" I want to go barreling in there half spun out with holes in my clothes, smoke rising from me, and my hair in a mess. I want to be busy. I don't want to go explain myself and not have a great story to go along with it.

Comment

Click on the pic for full size...

Comment

A screenshot. More if I can find a good one.

-Coast

"Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Happy landings,
                  Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X