Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MONDAY MAIL RUN #3: New York to Bellefonte

For this run we will fly the Boeing 221A Monomail, as flown by airmail pilot Elrey B. Jeppesen, who went on to found the famous Jeppesen company.
    You can download it here: http://tinyurl.com/storm-monomail (Seven liveries included.)

If you already have the Monomail downloaded and installed,
    please skip to the flight plan by clicking here.

You can more read about the Monomail here:
    About this FSX model:
    • Flaps: None.
    • Gear: Retractable. No speed restrictions.
    • Prop: Constant Speed (inauthentic, as the prop on the real airplane was fixed pitch).
    • Nav aids: ADF only.
    • Comms: Single channel, no standby.
    • Autopilot: None.
    • ASI units: mph
    Cockpit:
    The passengers and cargo are forward of the pilot.
    This is good, because it gives a quiet ride for the pilot, with the motor more distant than usual.
    This is bad, because it reduces forward visibility on the ground and when landing. (See below.)

V-speeds:
    Max indicated airspeed (sea level): 158 mph (137 knots).
    Max indicated airspeed (8000* ft): 131 mph (114 knots).
    Final approach: 75 mph (65 knots).
    Stall: 55 mph (48 knots).
    * 8000 ft is the highest altitude needed on the transcontinental mail route (week #12).

Special gauge:
    Fuel-air gauge (bottom right): Adjust mixture to keep around 83 mills (needle vertical).

Animations:
    Shift+E then 1: Opens/closes the cabin door.
    Shift+E then 2: Lifts/lowers the mail hatches.

Pop-ups:
    Shift+1: Mini-panel. Six main flight gauges only, plus gear up/down indication.
    Shift+2: Comms radio. Zoomed-in view of the Lorenz radio (in cockpit by pilot's right hip).
    Shift+3: ADF radio. Zoomed-in view of the ADF radio (in cockpit also by pilot's right hip). The corresponding gauge is combined with a directional gyro-compass on the left of the main dashboard.

Radios. Warning!
    Note that the On-Off switch on the Lorenz radio controls both Comm and Nav/ADF.
    Therefore make sure the Lorenz switch is down ("Ein" = On) if you want your ADF to work.
    If you switch the Lorenz off while tracking an NDB, the gauge will freeze where it was.
    (This could lead you to believe you were still on course.)

Taxiing:
    Zigzagging during taxiing is the norm, as it is for many nose-high aircraft.

Take-off:
    Holding the take-off roll direction is easy because the roll is so short.
    During the take-off roll, only a little right rudder is needed.
    With neutral trim, the tail lifts at 70mph and you can rotate at 80.
    For very short take-offs, with back trim, you can rotate at 75mph.

Cruise:
    Very easy to fly. Good visibility for spotting landmarks on either side.

Landing:
    Forward visibility is poor, especially as the Monomail has no flaps.
    (Flaps would have helped by allowing you to push the nose down on approach.)
    The most reliable approach is a curving close-in base leg, starting at around 90° to runway heading, and flying a balanced turn.
    This allows you to maintain sight of the touchdown zone diagonally all the way through the curve.
    At the end of the curve, let the plane side-slip to ensure you register the final landing point and heading.
    Then release the slip and touch down at the noted point, holding the final heading.
    This maneuver takes practice!

This information is posted early so you can get practice flying the Monomail.
    Hopefully you will like it as much as Jeppesen did!

Flight plan in the next post.

Belmont to Bellefonte - flight plan

On September 8, 1920, the Transcontinental Air Mail service between New York and San Francisco began, although it would be a further four years before this was flown in its entirety by night as well as by day. A wide variety of different aircraft types would end up being used.

The Boeing Monomail was actually used on the main transcontinental airmail route between Chicago and San Francisco from July 1931. Later it was also used on "spur" routes, such as Billings, MT to Cheyenne, WY. We are using it further east simply for our convenience because of the distances we need to cover.

Week 3: New York, NY to Bellefonte, PA via Hazleton, PA.
    (Note the original flights did not stop at Hazleton; that is just for our convenience.)

Depart: KLGA (LaGuardia). Nearby airport with parking to original departure from Belmont Park racetrack
    Intermediate stop: KHZL (Hazleton Municipal).
    Arrive: KUNV (University Park). Nearby airport with parking to original arrival at Bellefonte (which we'll overfly).

Aircraft: Boeing model 221A Monomail only.
    See previous post for details. Available from the Vintage Hangar of Storm's Skydrive (click banner below) with 7 liveries.

Scenery: default is good.
    Scenery Complexity (Options > Settings > Display > Scenery): Do not set to "Very Sparse", or you will not see some waypoints. "Dense" or higher is recommended, to see waypoints at greater distances. Set as high as possible while maintaining reasonable frame rates. If your frame rate is a problem, reduce Autogen Density first, rather than Scenery Complexity, to boost frame rates.

Route: You can download the following maps and flight plan here.
    • The route is a mix of visual waypoints and NDB fixes.
    • The yellow rings on the map are range limits for each NDB (37 nmi).
    • We will track toward NDBs using our RMI as soon as we have a positive fix.
    • If the weather is very bad with poor visibility, we may also track outbound.
    • See the warning note in previous post regarding radio on/off switch.

Last edited by Storm; April 7, 2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I've got to hand it to you once again Storm, a great job on BOTH the aircraft, AND the flight plan. The work you did for this group flight sets a new standard of excellence in group flight preparation and planning. What is left is for the rest of us to do our homework using all the resources you have provided.

Thank you.

PS: I love the tobacco card image you included in your event post. I hope others will learn a little more about how these types aviation cards were provided to the public during this era.

Another image:

-Coast
      Last edited by Coast; April 3, 2014, 07:09 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
      "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

In case of bad weather/poor visibility, here is an IFR flight plan for tonight. The weather forecast is for heavy rain and showers, with strong gusty easterly tailwinds near the coast. Visibility may be too poor to fly VFR using the original landmarks. Therefore we may choose to switch to IFR in one of three ways:
        1. "I Follow the Rabble". Follow the mass of planes and hope the one in front knows where they're going!
        2. "I Follow Roads" or railroads, or rivers. This is what the first airmail pilots did before they had ADF and NDBs. Say hello to Interstate I-80, which we'll follow roughly right across the US. We can do this quite easily, but it's rather winding and exhausting to fly, possibly quite boring, and it will add considerably to our flight time.
        3. Instrument Flight Rules. The Boeing Monomail is equipped with ADF and RMI, and is the only one of our mail planes to be so equipped (as it's one of the latest and is purpose built). We could take advantage of that. It makes it possible to fly almost the whole route only using the three NDBs: MOREE (MM on 392 kHz), HUMBOLT (HXM on 366 kHz) and PENUE (UN on 388 kHz). Their ranges almost touch (see the yellow rings on the map below), so there's very little flying out of range of one or another.

Option 1 is possible but not always as easy as it sounds!
        Option 2 is easy, if a little tedious and slow. If you miss the road, what's your fallback?
        Option 3 is quicker and gives you the opportunity to show off (or practice) your NDB tracking/bracketing skills.

Which should we choose? If at least one of us uses option 3 (I guess I'll volunteer), the rest can use option 1! What would you be most comfortable with?

Should we fly IFR at all? Let's decide at the time. Our decision point is our first waypoint: the MM NDB. If visibility is unreliable, we can switch from the original flight plan to the following:

P.S. Thank you Coast for your kind words!

Comment

Reminder: tonight 9pm ET. Bring your Monomail! Here's where we'll be going...

(Flight plans above.)

Comment

Howdy all,

just a few pics from the first flight with the magnificent Monomails. Thanks Storm for a great flight!

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Novawing24
            Join me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Novawing24
            Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/novawing24
            Official Novawing24 website! http://www.novawing24.com
            My Onedrive! http://tinyurl.com/novawing24-onedrive

Comment

After our arrival at today's final destination nearby Bellefonte...

Comment

Here are some screenshots from our last flight in the Boeing Monomail.

-Coast
                "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Great shots Nova and Coast. The last one, Coast - the departure from Hazleton - is a classic. Thank you!

Comment

Sure is hard to compete with all of the great pics you fellas posted, but heres a few shots from last nights great monomail flight.

Happy landings,
                    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Late addition... Mist over Appalachia. Picture taken when Idle and I re-flew the second leg the next day - Hazleton to Bellefonte - this time in the Bush Flying Unlimited livery #1. Because we wanted to. :eagerness:

Click on the thumbnail to get the full 1920 x 1005 picture >>

Edit: The latest version of the Monomail (v1_1) is available. It's discussed and linked in the thread for next leg of our Monday Mail Run, #4, from Bellefonte to Cleveland. See here:
                      http://msflights.net/forum/showthrea...e-to-Cleveland

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X