Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Night Flights: Tasmania (SATURDAY 9:00pm ET)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Night Flights: Tasmania (SATURDAY 9:00pm ET)

Summary
    [From Wikipedia..]
    The island was adjoined to the mainland of Australia until the end of the last glacial period about 10,000 years ago. Much of the island is composed of Jurassic dolerite intrusions (upwellings of magma) through other rock types, sometimes forming large columnar joints. Tasmania has the world's largest areas of dolerite, with many distinctive mountains and cliffs formed from this rock type.
    The central plateau and the southeast portions of the island are mostly dolerite. Mount Wellington above Hobart is a good example, showing distinct columns known as the Organ Pipes. In the southern midlands as far south as Hobart, the dolerite is underlaid by sandstone and similar sedimentary stones. In the southwest, Precambrian quartzites were formed from very ancient sea sediments and form strikingly sharp ridges and ranges, such as Federation Peak or Frenchmans Cap.
    In the northeast and east, continental granites can be seen, such as at Freycinet, similar to coastal granites on mainland Australia. In the northwest and west, mineral-rich volcanic rock can be seen at Mount Read near Rosebery, or at Mount Lyell near Queenstown. Also present in the south and northwest is limestone with magnificent caves.
    The quartzite and dolerite areas in the higher mountains show evidence of glaciation, and much of Australia's glaciated landscape is found on the Central Plateau and the Southwest. Cradle Mountain, another dolerite peak, for example, was a nunatak. The combination of these different rock types offers incredible scenery, much of it distinct from any other region of the world. In the far southwest corner of the state, the geology is almost completely quartzite, which gives the mountains the false impression of having snow-capped peaks year round.

Time-zone BreakDown: Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 at:
    9PM Eastern
    8PM Central
    7PM Mountain
    6PM Pacific

Flight Plan:
    Starting Airport: YSTH
    Stops: YMLT, YGTO, YDPO, YWYY, YSMI, YSRN
    Ending Airport: YSRN
    http://skyvector.com/?ll=-41.548055727128876,146.22830199043446&chart=301&zo om=4&plan=A.YM.YSTH:A.YM.YMLT:A.YM.YGTO:A.YM.YDPO: A.YM.YWYY:A.YM.YSMI:A.YM.YSRN
    *Add missing routes to the SkyVector build if any legs are missing*

Target Airspeed: [150kias - 190kias]
    Average Cruising Altitude:5,500 FT.

Preferred Aircraft: High-Performance Single Engine Aircraft.
    Piper Malibu, TBM850 would be a fine choice.
    I will be flying the Lancair Legacy or the p40 Warhawk/P51 mustang.

Flightplan and kneeboard for tonight! (YGTO does not exist in FSX so I left it out)
    Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerbolt View Post
      [ATTACH]1755[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]1756[/ATTACH]

Flightplan and kneeboard for tonight! (YGTO does not exist in FSX so I left it out)
      YGTO does exist if you install the OZx scenery, as recommended here!
      It's quite nicely done, and my guess is we will be landing there.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
      Who has read this thread:
      Working...
      X