Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MONDAY MAIL RUN #1: Washington DC to Philadelphia

On May 15, 1918, the first scheduled U.S. Air Mail service began using Curtiss Jenny biplanes. The route was between Washington DC and New York, with an intermediate stop at Philadelphia. The Jenny was quickly found to be slow and somewhat frail, and was eventually replaced by modified Airco DH-4s.

Two years later, on September 8, 1920, the Transcontinental Air Mail service between New York and San Francisco began, although it would be a further four years before this was flown in its entirety by night as well as by day. A wide variety of different aircraft types would end up being used.

Many famous pilots were at one time employed in the U.S. Air Mail service, including Elrey B. Jeppesen and Charles Lindbergh.

These Monday Mail Runs celebrate this history. We will use the kinds of aircraft flown at the time - quite a big choice - and we will fly only visually, without any radio navigation or GPS. And whatever the weather, "The mail must get through!"

Weeks 1 and 2. Washington DC to New York, stopping at Philadelphia.
    We will fly Curtiss Jennies only.

Then we leave the Jenny behind!

Weeks 3 through 16. New York to San Francisco.
    We will fly all sorts of pre-1932 civilian aircraft that can maintain around 100 knots.

Note: There are no default FSX aircraft that will do the job!
    Examples of freeware airplanes that do meet the above will be listed in advance of our flights.

Week 1: Washington DC to Philadelphia, PA, via Elkton, MD.
    (Note the original flights did not stop at Elkton; that is just for our convenience.)

Depart: KDCA (Ronald Reagan). Closest airport to original depature from Washington Polo Grounds.
    Intermediate stop: 58M (Cecil County, Elkton).
    Arrive: KPNE (Northeast Philadelphia). Closest airport to original arrival at Bustleton Field.

VFR route: Full VFR flight plan is here, together with maps.

Aircraft: Curtiss Jenny only.
    The Jenny will fly, straight and level at sea-level, at only 67 knots max. It has:
    No flaps. No brakes. No tailwheel. No lights. No ASI. No VSI. No Turn and slip.
    No radio navigation. No GPS.
    Available from the Vintage Hangar of Storm's Skydrive (click banner below) with 12 liveries.

Scenery: default is good. See here: http://imgur.com/a/CKihx (taken in multiplayer, 2014-03-18)
    Scenery Complexity (Options > Settings > Display > Scenery): Do not set to "Very Sparse", or you will not see some waypoints. "Dense" or higher is recommended, to see waypoints at greater distances. Set as high as possible while maintaining reasonable frame rates. If your frame rate is a problem, reduce Autogen Density first, rather than Scenery Complexity, to boost frame rates.

It is a little known fact that members of the Simulated Heritage Aircraft Ferry Pilots Association were historically involved in flying the mail in the Curtiss Jenny's as you can see from the photo below of a SHAFPA training session.

Please note the very high trainer to pupil ratio we had back then of 46::2!

In fact, two of our members who were also avid tennis players were able to combine both interests .... interestingly!

-Coast
    Last edited by Coast; March 19, 2014, 07:56 PM.
    "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

great idea storm! Hopefully I can go in late to work one of these days so I can make some of these flights

Comment

Great pictures Coast!

Comment

Flight plan for Monday Mail Run #1

There is no GPS compatible flight plan available. We are not using GPSs!
          • We will be steering using our compass, allowing for wind drift.
          • We will be watching for landmarks to appear at certain times (so bring a clock or watch).
          • We will also be following roads, railroads and rivers if appropriate (though only rivers are appropriate this time).

You can download this flight plan and these maps here.

Comment

Reminder: this re-enactment flight starts tonight at 9pm ET. Bring your Jenny! (Flight plan above.)

Trivia questions:
            1. The first flight took off at 11:47am, on May 15, 1918. When did its mail arrive in New York, and why?
            2. How many presidents of the United States were present at take-off, and who were they?
            3. What's the story behind this postage stamp?

Comment

I intend to participate in correct A/C type and fairly well studied on the plan and the history. Thanks for this flight, Storm.
              Respects, Bob ...

Comment

For those who are interested the Flight Recorder files from tonight's flight can be found here.

You can pick up FS Recorder from http://www.fs-recorder.net/

Happy viewing!

Novawing24
                Per Ardua Ad Astra

Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Novawing24
                Join me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Novawing24
                Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/novawing24
                Official Novawing24 website! http://www.novawing24.com
                My Onedrive! http://tinyurl.com/novawing24-onedrive

Comment

Comment

A couple more quick snaps from tonights awesome flight!

Great flight Storm! Looking forward to spending more time with this old bird!
                    Happy landings,
                    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Here a few screenshots I got on this inaugural Monday Mail Run in your new Curtiss Jenny JN-4.

Enjoyed it thoroughly.

-Coast

Comment

Some more screenshots from last night's flight...

Comment

Based on my research, the US airmail flights were being done on an experimental basis as early as 1911.

Reference:

Reference: U.S. Postal System 1775-1993

In this article ... "Simultaneous takeoffs were made from Washington's Polo Grounds and from Belmont Park, Long Island, both trips by way of Philadelphia."

Finally, the aircraft used for the first airmail flight was a JN-4H not a JN-4D which had amore powerful 150 hp engine than the 90 hp in the JN-4D.

Reference : Smithtonian Air and Space Museum

-Coast

Comment

Thank you Coast. Yes indeed. The National Postal Museum records Fred Wiseman's flight, but I decided to reenact the first scheduled services. However, the museum does not corroborate any simultaneous take-off from Long Island, nor does any other credible referenced source I can find, so I can't really comment on that.

As for 150hp engines - yes, though in the absence of reliable performance data for the JN-4H that would have allowed me to tune the flight characteristics of the JN-4D for the effects of the Hispano-Suiza 8 V-8 engine, I decided to go with the established FSX model - which is at least known to be accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                              Thank you Coast. Yes indeed. The National Postal Museum records Fred Wiseman's flight, but I decided to reenact the first scheduled services. However, the museum does not corroborate any simultaneous take-off from Long Island, nor does any other credible referenced source I can find, so I can't really comment on that.

As for 150hp engines - yes, though in the absence of reliable performance data for the JN-4H that would have allowed me to tune the flight characteristics of the JN-4D for the effects of the Hispano-Suiza 8 V-8 engine, I decided to go with the established FSX model - which is at least known to be accurate.
                              I was a bit reluctant to use the second reference about the Long Island flight since I was not able to verify it from more creditable sources, but I used it only as a possible group flight alternative choice that could be used if you were so inclined.

I also appreciate how hard you work to modify your aircraft, and did not want to imply the engine used in the Jenny was wrong. Personally, I think it fly's great.

-Coast

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X