Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coast's Old-Time Nostalgia Flight (1953 Classic Movie- Island in the Sky)- Part 2 - Operations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coast's Old-Time Nostalgia Flight (1953 Classic Movie- Island in the Sky)- Part 2 - Operations

Air Transport Command Emblem

LAZER 'S SCENERY FI LE

To install locate your Addon Scenery Folder and then the Scenery Folder it contains. That's where you put this .BGL file.
    I installed mine at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery" , but yours could be different. Please make sure its put in the correct folder.

P A R T 2: Search Operations (Week 2)

I watched the movie, and our lost aircraft was NOT found using any visual search pattern by lots of aircraft, but more focused and intelligent searching by fewer aircaft (which is all they had).

The last known location of our lost aircraft was determined from the last radio messages from the crew, and from an earlier search flight that came close, but didn't come close enough..

In the movie, Dooley and his crew encountered bad weather coming in from Greenland to Goose Bay, but they completely missed CYYR Goose Bay to the south. They could not get any signals from the navigation aids due to strong radio inference in the north country. They also could not get any visual references due to a severe storm. Knowing they were south and east of their original course, they turned west for a while.

When the wing icing became very dangerous, they stated to look for a place to land, and turned NORTHWEST (whatever that means). They flew in that direction until they ran low on fuel.

Their location as best we can determine here at KPQI Presque Isle, is somewhere between 50nm and 150nm north of the St. Lawrence river in some remote and uncharted area. They are north of Presque Isle, but could either to the east or west, we just don't know.

We also know they landed successfully of a frozen lake from a couple of weak radio messages they were able to get off before the aircraft's battery died. They also have a hand crank radio which was very important to their final rescue. While it is only a short range radio, the search aircraft refined the final search phase using the radio direction finding equipment in their aircraft.

THE RULES

We will turn off the red gamer tags using ctrl-shift-L, since a in-game C-47 aircraft will be placed on the ground at the crash site.

Starting at KPQI Presque Isle, we will fly to the north, either somewhat east or west of north as we think reasonable.

3. We will fly low enough so as to maximize the chances of picking up their hand crank radio signals on our "radio direction finder" .

If the search aircraft get close enough to receive a short range radio signal, they will be given the bearing to the downed aircraft from the "direction finder aboard their aircraft".

NOTE: Someone will be monitoring the progress of all the search aircraft using Plan-G, and if one gets within range of the hand crank radio, they will be given the information "from the direction finder". When other aircraft get within range of the hand crank radio, they also will be given direction information specific to their aircraft's location.

If any aircraft gets close enough for the "downed crew to detect the sounds of the search aircraft engines", a flare will be shot into the air, the search aircraft "will see it". The team that sees the flare will then turn on gamer tags using ctrl-shift-L, and find the downed aircraft.

6. Since all of the search aircraft will hear these clues, the closest aircraft should find them first. However since this a team effort, and all of us will be happy to find our lost friends.

7. The range of the hand crank radio is 12nm and aircraft engines can be heard from 2nm.

Latest News:
    I have determined via my research that the hand crank radio PROBABLY used was the "GIBSON GIRL" CRT-3 Air-Sea Rescue Hand Crank Radio with a frequency of 500kHz and a range of "200 miles" over water. Since we are in the mountains, and the temperature is over 40 below zero F, the effective range would be much less. Coupled with inference on this frequency from a radio station in Montreal, I will be reducing the effective range even further.

After the search aircraft come into the range of the GIBSON GIRL radio, they will be vectored toward our downed crew via TS in stages just as shown in the movie. We are relying on the crew on the ground to perform the final search action by hearing the aircraft and shooting the flare. The more search aircraft you have, the louder they are, and the farther away they can be heard.

"Having fun with friends! "

There are now two additional liveries - Buffalo Airways and Canadian Pacific - for Manfred Jahn's C-47 V2 available on my Skydrive (in addition to the European Air Transport Service livery that comes with the original download).

Comment

Mission accomplished!

Comment

Sorry I missed the adventure. Between RL and community duties, I wasn't much help to Lazer's team. A Coast adventure is something I always try to make and I have made application to join SHAFPA in another thread here. I shan't miss C-69's deliveries to Alburquerque as I read that our Air Force needs delivery of those aircraft desperately (for parts?) and also that the nonpayment is very good.
        Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X