Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KORD - Chicago HUB

There has been some discussion in making a KORD hub for the VA, and possibly removing the plans of making Indiana and Minnesota as potential hubs in the mid-west.

Based on this, and being from the Chicago, IL area myself, I decided to spearhead some flight routes. Several factors were taken into consideration, including the theory that neither Indiana nor Minnesota would have a hub, and the need to cover terrain that otherwise would have been covered had those hubs existed. In the same thought, I did not want to take over too much area to the West, where we could potentially have additional hubs fill in.

As you will see, I did extend pretty far South on two separate routes to include two airports, KMEM (Memphis) and KBNA (Nashville) which were previously established as route destinations from the Texas and Atlanta hubs. I also made a connection to the Northeast with the KCLE (Cleveland) airport to link routes to the CYYZ (Toronto) hub. This was all intentional and will expand the potential for a variety of routes between these 4 hubs. The plan was to provide a more unified feel to the VA.

I also extended East to KPIT (Pittsburgh), to cover uncharted territory, and not knowing the plans for the KPHL hub.

There are a few routes that were geared toward the smaller GA and helicopter pilots desires, with the remaining longer routes set to satisfy the larger and/or faster style planes.

I believe most of the longer legs have airport runways that are 5000-8000 feet and longer in length to accommodate most planes. The smaller, GA focused legs have at least 2000 feet long runways.

I have not set-up any national routes, as I wanted to see how the regional routes were taken. I hope I did not step on anyone's toes who may have already been working on routes for a KORD hub.

The attached image is an overview of the routes. The attached PDF explains the routes and shows the minimum flight altitude, the distance between airports, and the estimated flight time if cruising at 100 knots.

Please enjoy.

KORD Hub Area Coverage

KORD Hub Routes
    Last edited by c0p0ut; May 21, 2013, 09:16 AM.

Awesome!!!! I can not wait!!!! Can I make a request though? I do not want this to sound too commanding, but could you possibly move the KOSH stop up to KATW as it has real airline traffic and I favor it because it is my home airport? :P Hope this does not sound too...picky. Thank you for putting this together Copout!!! I am very excited to fly em!
    If it ain't Boeing — I ain't going.

[img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0024.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by WheeledWeevil82 View Post
      Awesome!!!! I can not wait!!!! Can I make a request though? I do not want this to sound too commanding, but could you possibly move the KOSH stop up to KATW as it has real airline traffic and I favor it because it is my home airport? :P Hope this does not sound too...picky. Thank you for putting this together Copout!!! I am very excited to fly em!
      I originally chose Oshkosh due to its notoriety and novelty, along with it having some after-market scenery packs. I also noticed that Oshkosh has a VOR. I haven't flown via VORs, so I'm not sure how important it is to have one stationed at a specific airport. If there are no objections, I would be willing to switch this leg from KOSH to KATW to accommodate your request. Thanks for your input. Hopefully we can get this hub up and running soon.

Comment

I hope Kalo and Oz flyer use this hub. I would love to see the US fill out.
        Greetings from Dale
        Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

It would be nice to stop at KOSH, as it is interesting, with the many event planes and stands set up in default.

Comment

Due to Wheeled's request, I drafted a route to eliminate KOSH and replace it with KATW. Then, taking into consideration KLM's request, and my personal desire to have KOSH still on the map, I decided to add another leg to this route with both airports included. I did not want to have a direct 16-18 miles leg between KOSH and KATW (too short), so I added another leg going out from one airport and coming back to the other. This also filled a territory void on the map.

The new flight plan will be KORD-KMKE-KOSH-KCWA-KATW-KMSN-KRFD-KORD. This will be the most hops (7 total) in a single route out of Chicago than any of the other proposed Chicago routes. With this new configuration, each leg will be between 55-76 miles, which is very comfortable for GA flight time.

I think this is a fair balance and also provides the GA community with a little more flight time in the VA.

If all goes well, and there are no more requests to work out, I will be plotting the Google Maps waypoints within the next week.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for your hard work and contribution. Looking great...
              HawgDawg4Life.....

HawgDawg4life@msflights.net
              See my videos Here

Comment

Thank you sooooo much Copout!!! I can not wait to fly these routes!!! Thank you for putting my home airport in the mix! I hope my request did not sound too selfish and bad.

Comment

Thanks for putting out the effort. Look forward to flying the routes. Geographically, it should be interesting. The distances look good for GA.

Comment

The routes have been reviewed by Oz, and approved for the most part. The files have been sent to Kalo for review and publishing. As long as I did everything correctly, fingers crossed, we should have the Chicago Hub open for business shortly. Yay! Thank you all for your support in this endeavor.
                    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Thank you Copout!

Comment

Started the routes. Good mix. Thanks again.

Comment

Excellent routes! I am flying to my home, KATW, right now. Thank you so much for making these and adding my airport!

Comment

Hey guys!

I am new to the VA, and have chose KORD as my hub. I am stationed out of KUGN in the real-world. Let me know if anybody would like some company on any routes!

I look forward to flying with you all!
                            [IMG] http://www.fsairlines.net/signatures/72896.png[/IMG]

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                            Who has read this thread:
                            Working...
                            X