Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, on calculating Flight Ticket Price

Recently I investigated the issue of how VA calculates the Flight Ticket Price, in order to predict the profitability of a flight, in advance.

This issue exists in a thread named Ticket Prices from January 10th, 2014, with kalo, martypk and OZ-flyer, as I recall.
    In short:
    • Minimum flight price is 50$
    • For flights with 1-200nm, it will be 1$/nm
    • For flights with 201-800nm, it will be 0.5$/nm
    • For flights with 801-3000nm, it will be 0.2$/nm

BTW, there shouldn't be any distance range left uncovered – the range beyond 3000nm. I understand that at the time of configuring the formula, there were not flights with more than 3000nm, but it should have been covered – see the two flights that were added recently, with more than 6000nm each.

What I found in my investigations is that the flight's log represents exactly this formula… but IMO it's wrong.

This way, a 199nm flight will "cost" a passenger 199$, while a 201 flight will cost him only 100.5$, which is odd, to say the least. Even a flight of 396nm, will cost him 198$, which is even more strange. The same happens when the distance changes from 800nm to 801nm.

The reason behind this, is that the formula was not implemented correctly, no offence to anybody. The formula as it is today, behaves graphically, like the graph with the blue frame, in the attached file, while it should behave graphically, like the graph with the green frame, in the attached file.

The later graph describes a formula that I built, which says in plain English, as follows:

1. Minimum flight price is 50$
    2. For flights with 1-200nm, it will be 1$/nm
    3. For THE NEXT 600nm (i.e. beyond 200 until 800), it will be 0.5$/nm + line 2
    4. For EVERY nm beyond 800nm, it will be 0.2$/nm + line 2 + line 3

I hope the attached graphs.jpg file went thru and that the formula will be fixed in the future.

If karl as the VA admin would like to contact me for the correct formula (Excel), he will be more than welcome.

Yigal

Thanks Yigal for taking the time to make a forumula! I will take a look at this and have an update this weekend (I am very busy the next few days).

Comment

Wow; nice analysis Yigal!

How about this formula?: $$$ = 50 + (10 * SQRT(miles) )

It looks like this:
      Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Wingman, Kalo, Yigal,

I will run the formulas you have both (Wingman, Yigal) posted against what we have now.

David
        Oz Flyer
        Oz Flyer.
        David.
        VA Operations Manager.
        SPAD.neXt Beta tester.
        FIPGauges.com Beta tester.

Got a question about the Virtual Airline? Please post in the VA forum or send me a private message.

Comment

Thank you all for the compliments and openess.

kalo & OZ-flyer, if you use Excel, then here is the Excel formula:
          =MAX(50, (IF((A2-50)>=0, MIN(150, A2-50), 0) + IF((A2-200)>=0, MIN(600,A2-200)*0.5, 0) + IF((A2-800)>=0, MIN(2200,A2-800)*0.2, 0)))

But... beleive it or not, I like wingman's formula ! It is much simpler and smoother then mine, and I think you should addopt it, instead.

Wingman, how did you come out with this simple and nice formula ?

Yigal

Comment

Hi Yigal,

Yes I am looking at wingman also and talking with Kalo

As for your formula I am getting $50 until it get over 100nm.

I was able to write my own to your rules as posted above.

David
            Oz Flyer.
            Oz Flyer.
            David.
            VA Operations Manager.
            SPAD.neXt Beta tester.

Got a question about the Virtual Airline? Please post in the VA forum or send me a private message.

Comment

True. My mistake.

I still like wingman's formula much better.

Thanks, Yigal

Comment

Thanks Yigal; I can't explain exactly why/how, but I tend to visualize number relationships in order to work with them. Numbers and formulae themselves are annoying and hard to work with at face value, but seeing how they interact with one another really helps understand the role each one plays in a system.

Perhaps unrelated, but I always felt that math is just another language (or language syntax is derived from mathematics, whichever your perspective is).

Kalo & David, I wasn't sure if any of this was actionable, but if so, thanks for your efforts!
                Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Wingman, Yigal,

Have been back and fourth with Kalo and I am going to be updating the database using Wingman's formula.

Thanks to you both for the time and work you put into looking at this.
                  Oz Flyer.
                  David.
                  VA Operations Manager.
                  SPAD.neXt Beta tester.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X