Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanx to the secred Website worker!

Just wanna say "Thank You" for the re-designing job on our Website....

Just an idea, what do you think about to move the server list on top of the left culumn and the Most Active underneath TS, to make the big blank space down below more little, and the site shorter?
    CaseyRyback59/Andreas
    Staff Member
    VA-Manager

Likes: Recent Forum Posts expanded from 5 items to 7 and more prominent. Current time (zones).
    Dislikes: Most Active takes too much space. Recent Blog Posts takes waaay too much space (back to January!). Recent Polls - who needs them?
    Suggestions: Make Multiplayer servers more prominent (I agree with Casey). Make Follow us on more prominent but reduce Amazon logo to 75 pixels. Add New Event and View Calendar buttons go logically with the Upcoming Flights list, not the clocks.

Comment

Agreed; nice job oh mysterious maker of the msFlights.net interwebz site. I like the layout so much, I've already forgotten how it used to look. Oh... the map is gone. I liked that map. The first person to execute a multi-feed map, geo-positioning players from multiple flight simulation platforms, wins my sincerest gratitude! The Day/Night feature was also handy, but that poses an additional layer of complexity if polling multiple platforms. Perhaps an interactive radial button to chose which platform's/server's day/night cycle to overlay would work.
      Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Thanks guys :redface-new:
        Originally posted by CaseyRyback53 View Post
        Just an idea, what do you think about to move the server list on top of the left culumn and the Most Active underneath TS, to make the big blank space down below more little, and the site shorter?
        I just put the server list on top of the teamspeak section....do you like that better or would you guys like the teamspeak widget up top? My plan was to try and have server info to the right, and keep the left sections for community content. I would be fine to move the server info to the left side, but I would also want to keep the Most active on the left so it is not buried by the teamspeak widget.

Originally posted by Storm View Post
        Likes: Recent Forum Posts expanded from 5 items to 7 and more prominent. Current time (zones).
        Dislikes: Most Active takes too much space. Recent Blog Posts takes waaay too much space (back to January!). Recent Polls - who needs them?
        Suggestions: Make Multiplayer servers more prominent (I agree with Casey). Make Follow us on more prominent but reduce Amazon logo to 75 pixels. Add New Event and View Calendar buttons go logically with the Upcoming Flights list, not the clocks.
        Thanks for the feedback, I just reduced the Most Active widget to display only 7 posts and Recent Blog Posts to show only 5, should I make them less? I kind of like having polls on the homepage, I would be willing to put them in a less prominent spot. I noticed some polls on the site got burried and no one would vote on them, for instance one poll was a month old with 0 votes, and after the changes 4 people have voted already. On the other hand it would be more exciting if people came up with more interesting polls.

The problem of the clocks with the add new event/calendar buttons and upcoming flights is that they are different codes. "Join us for these Upcoming Flights"widget is PHP while the "Click below to host a flight, we encourage everyone to host flights!" widget is HTML. You should be able to combine PHP and HTML into the same page but I was unable to get it to work(I tried various opening/closing tags with no success). My guess is its something with the vbulletin software, because you have to specify whether each box is PHP or HTML, so once you pick one I'm guessing it ignores the other code. Originally I wanted to put them all in one box...but had to revert to two separate ones. I'd also like to try and change the format of the upcoming flights box to show both UTC and EST time....so it would read something like: "on Thursday Dec-10-2015 @ 4:00pm EST / Thursday Dec-10-2015 @ 9:00pm UTC"

Thanks to Coast and dc9 for helping me with PHP and other codes for the site in the past. Perhaps they or others knowledgeable about PHP could help me find a way to combine both HTML and PHP into the same widget box.

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
        Agreed; nice job oh mysterious maker of the msFlights.net interwebz site. I like the layout so much, I've already forgotten how it used to look. Oh... the map is gone. I liked that map. The first person to execute a multi-feed map, geo-positioning players from multiple flight simulation platforms, wins my sincerest gratitude! The Day/Night feature was also handy, but that poses an additional layer of complexity if polling multiple platforms. Perhaps an interactive radial button to chose which platform's/server's day/night cycle to overlay would work.
        I put a link to the player map in the Servers box under the FSX classic listing. That would be neat if there was a way to put all platforms onto one map.

Comment

COOL!! I like the way it looks like now....
          CaseyRyback59/Andreas
          Staff Member
          VA-Manager

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work put into the the website improvements. It looks better than before, and should improve its usability.

IMHO it still has a very intense information content look that rewards those that can read above the average level. That's actually a good thing for most of us who are no longer teenagers! It is especially useful for those of us who remember what was there before, and have the skill to skim a single page to find what we need.

There are some who would argue it's too much like an old style physical card catalog that was used by local libraries in the 1950's, and is about as useful. I for one don't see it that way since I liked the old card catalog.

We could try to make it a more modern sales oriented high intensity graphics "experience", but that is not us as I see it. But a few more meaningful images placed at important parts of the page might give a little more appeal, especially to the younger crowd. That's if we want to do that in the first place.

I also think we should consider cutting back on the content of the top level page a bit to avoid all the scrolling that is needed. <joke>That is not a big problem for me since I can use the scroll wheel on my mouse, but could be problem for others who might require additional training in its use.</joke>

In general I could have used the old page or this new page to find what I need since I am interested in what is going on here, and willing to put in the effort it takes to find it. For first timers or the impatient types, this could be an obstacle to providing a short attention span style web page for those who feel entitled to it.

I know these comments don't really help in any way to help to improve our website, and I apologize to anyone who is offended. It was just my ancient mind reacting to things I no longer understand.

-Coast

PS: I'm not nuts, just having a little fun!
            "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                The first person to execute a multi-feed map, geo-positioning players from multiple flight simulation platforms, wins my sincerest gratitude!
                Believe it can be done.
                Although it would require each server to run a small program to send the data to the map.

I'll have a play when I'm bored.
                If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Roo, On the topic of maps and stuff, Would it be possible to force the type code to show up on our FSD map without filing a flight plan? This would help a lot during troubleshooting with new users. Also it would be nice if speed, heading, and altitude would show up there too.

Thanks for all your hard work, if this cant be done, no biggie

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
                    Roo, On the topic of maps and stuff, Would it be possible to force the type code to show up on our FSD map without filing a flight plan? This would help a lot during troubleshooting with new users. Also it would be nice if speed, heading, and altitude would show up there too.

I'll have a look regarding the type but can't promise, as I think it reads the flight plan to get it.
                    ie No FP no info.

I can't see a problem posting the info under the username though.
                    I'll have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post

Baby Roo has just had me up at stupid oClock, so I've been productive and edited the map on my phone whilst winding a baby.

Is that what you were looking for Travis?

Afraid I confirmed that the Aircraft type code won't display without a Flight Plan.
                      The type data just isn't sent, so the map can't read it.
                      Sorry.

Sorry to jump on a thread too.

I also like the look of the new website.
                      Seems to have decluttered things

Comment

I like it, All the info is easily see-able. But its not all up to me, I hope everyone else likes it. Thanks again Roo! You are awesome!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        Who has read this thread:
                        Working...
                        X