Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarHawK View Post
    Sure, when I get home from work I'll paste in what I've brought up before which was dismissed so it can be dismissed again, as well as some other things that I did not mention before.
    Firstly, I'm loving the attitude.[<obviously sarcasm]

Also, real quick - Teamspeak is free, I'm tired of the misinformed individuals posting in here thinking otherwise. If you don't host it yourself (which we did), it costs money, like anything else. If you are a non-profit, (which we are), you don't have to pay for a license, however we chose to have an amazon link instead of a non-profit license, which led to an annual expense of $130 or so, or roughly $10 a month.
    Does that mean you are willing to host a TS server yourself on your own computer? Because for our community there has not been the feasibility to run a free server, so for our community the best option for hosting has been with a company, Discord provides us the capability to have it hosted "off site" by someone else, where we don't have to worry about maintenance, and it's hosted for free.
    Last edited by Razor; June 22, 2016, 08:41 PM. Reason: missed a word
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RrDpHEG.jpg[/IMG]
    [url]www.fsxblueangels.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
      Does that mean you are willing to host a TS server yourself on your own? Because for our community there has not been the feasibility to run a free server, so for our community the best option for hosting has been with a company, Discord provides us the capability to have it hosted "off site" by someone else, where we don't have to worry about maintenance for free.
      We had piggy backed our Teamspeak server onto our web server for over a year now if you were not aware. We are already paying for that host via the website. The expenses lay with the license, which would be free as a non-profit. Discord provides us the ability to do nothing but complain when there's an issue with the service, instead of being able to restart the server or check other vitals.

We have had a free non-profit license before, but had to pay for hosting, and now it's been flip-flopped, however we are able to do both, as Kalo posted on June 7th.

Comment

We had piggy backed our Teamspeak server onto our web server for over a year now if you were not aware.
        No we haven't. Our website is hosted with Bluehost, which isn't capable of running a teamspeak server. In the past, we were renting a separate server that was just for teamspeak. My plan is to move our website to another server which we could also run the backup teamspeak server off of. It's not advisable to run teamspeak off of a home computer because whoever would host it would be subject to the many ddos attacks our past teamspeaks have had. Even running the "free" version of teamspeak is not really free because you have to rent a server that's capable to run it.

Even though teamspeak has since changed their position to our community for which I'm thankful, they were pretty much holding us hostage before if we wanted a non profit license. Anyone that visits our website could easily tell at first glance we are a not for profit organization, yet the first time I applied for a non profit license they said we could not have one because we had a donate button and the amazon link. Basically if we removed the donate/amazon links we could get a non profit license....but what about the cost for the website server, domain name, and teamspeak server? It would be ridiculous to allow teamspeak to prevent us from collecting the funds to run our servers and domain. Since we moved to Discord, teamspeak has changed their minds, and have granted us a non profit license. I have even removed the donate button because we don't need it with Discord...the amazon link should raise enough.

Also the polls we had regarding the switch to Discord were pretty conclusive. Only 23% of people that voted said Discord was a downgrade, then in the staff forum we had another poll where only 13% of the vote was against moving to Discord (I rounded up the NO vote % for each poll for good measure).

Comment

So you mean to tell me that this entire time, you were needlessly paying to rent a teamspeak server? Bluehost does allow for teamspeak to run on their servers...
          https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/283

There are plenty of people within this community more than happy to help you if you didn't or do not currently understand Linux, as evidenced by your update on the 7th of this month.

And yes, that's what I've been saying about the non-profit license. That's great that they changed their stance, given their policy and requirements for obtaining the non-profit license has evolved over the last two years as communities and organizations have discussed. Did you make over $130 from the Amazon link in the last 12 months? I doubt it, given our last conversation about that very thing.

On the first poll, it was 19 upgrade to 11 downgrade, more importantly with 10 saying they're similar, and 8 undecided.

For arguments sake of a limited community opinion, let's remove staff from the first poll, and it's 8 for upgrade, and 8 for downgrade.
          On the staff poll, the numbers speak for themselves as well as the lack thereof rebuttal.
          On this poll, we're at what, 10 for going back to TS3, and 12 to stick with Discord.
          Again, for arguments sake, to see what the membership themselves want, subtract staff, and we're at 8 for going back to TS3, and 5 for going with Discord.

This has created a rift in this community. Perhaps if this wasn't so rushed (and yes, it certainly was rushed), this wouldn't be such a big deal. We should always be using the best available technologies out there to benefit our members. Some people may or may not be as passionate about it as others, but everyone in the end want what is best for this community and their experience. If people do not want to use Discord as what's been made clear, a Teamspeak server should be made available as soon as possible for those wanting it, such as myself.

Comment

So you mean to tell me that this entire time, you were needlessly paying to rent a teamspeak server? Bluehost does allow for teamspeak to run on their servers...
            https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/283
            It doesn't work with Bluehost's generic shared servers....I already tried...we would need one of their insanely expensive dedicated servers. I still have not heard a reasonable example as to why teamspeak is so superior (besides Karl's sound issue). I disagree with your perception of a rift....the community has felt much better to me since we have moved to Discord. I'm sorry but it would be extremely childish/selfish if someone refused to even try our Discord.

Comment

You need a VPS or Dedicated, both are compatible. Dedicated is expensive, the VPS is not.

I have used discord, I used it for months before. If I felt it was valuable or an improvement, I would've brought it forward to our group as something we can try out.

Below are my personal gripes.
              -----------------------------
              - You cannot record voice chat in Discord. RIP any interview plans w/ Josh about his Vietnam experiences.
              - There is no reserved global PTT button
              - There are no nested voice channels.
              - Discord is a centralized service with bare bones audio and server features, but a good chat. It's basically Skype. You even invite people to your group(not an actual server), like Skype.

- Teamspeak 3 is a decentralized audio communication software, with bare-bones chat. Teamspeak servers are actual servers.

- They don't even own Discord.com; the owner of that domain could easily set up a phishing scam.
              - Server's are centralized, you are sharing the server with thousands upon thousands of other people. server's get overwhelmed frequently. You cannot switch servers (locations) once the Discord has crashed, you're just shit out of luck.

- Discord started with $9 MIL investment. This has ballooned to over $20 MIL by Investment Capitalists.
              Jason Citron, lead for Discord is a self-admitted serial entrepreneur, where all of his past companies have gone bankrupt or he's sold out. His goal is to launch these businesses, get them valuable regardless of sustainability, and then sell it. Are we this desperate?

- They're going to sell "stickers" and "skins" to make $20 MIL..., BS.
              - Unrealistic Support System. With Free solutions, you get free problems.
              - Like discord? Get mumble. Once Mumble has a mobile RTC, it will be an open source of discord and is not headed by a serial entrepreneur who is going to fuck us all over once he get's his money.
              - No LAN servers. Doesn't effect us, but stupid none the less which means it can't be used for any competitive gaming or live events.

- Terms of service red flags:
              - It's against ToS to : be telling friends about a glitch in a video game.
              - It's against ToS to : sharing material that's considered NSFW.
              - It's claimed in the ToS that the operators are: Able to join any group, private or public.
              - It's claimed in the ToS that the operators can: Own your data.
              -----------------------------

Achr from aw.my.com had a really good break-down between the two. I will post his breakdown below since I think he does a good job at it:

Discord
              It is (currently) a free cloud-based service, that has fancy and rich features.
              The system is guarded by a log in authentication, so you need to create an account to use the application.
              You don't need to remember a URL/Domain name to connect to a channel
              Browser support
              Friends list
              Simple permissions system
              Low latency, high quality voice
              Modernized text chat
              Fancy in-game overlay
              Mobile app

Teamspeak (as per aw.syn-games.com)
              Hosted as a free service to the community (no charge now or in the future)
              Running on the Amazon AWS infrastructure, which allows IP/DDoS protection and failover protection (DNS also hosted with AWS)
              24/7 stability and uptime (give or take system updates or server upgrades which are normally pretty short)
              Does not require an account to connect
              Simple bookmarks for easy connecting
              Voice and text are encrypted
              All channels are publicly visible, so units can get their name out there (and for other units to talk with them/play with them)
              Friends list
              Low latency, high quality voice
              In-game overlay (using Overwolf, however, I don't really care for the UI/UX of it)
              Easy to contact admins for support
              Able to have custom icons and custom tags

Comparables':
              - Discord is good for the groups of people who want a bit more privacy (less public). Teamspeak is more aimed towards the community units and solo players to be located in one place.
              - Both are great if you are new to the game, and are looking for people to drop with.
              - If you are the channel admin, on either service, you have control over who is in your channel and who is not allowed. Both have ban and kick abilities. Not sure how to do this? Just ask.
              - Both have a text chat system.

Comment

I sort of enjoy the log in authentication on discord. We have had almost no trolls compared to the at least once or more weekly troll @ teamspeak. I thought about how much time I have dedicated to staffing related things today, and I have to admit they have been minimal. This gives me more time to enjoy why we are here.

In my opinion it is an equal toss up. I am not worried about discord being sold and/or changed to make revenue. Teamspeak isn't closing its doors, so we can always go back if it happens.

Also, I will say it again... I don't like us hosting TS3 on the website server. If one goes down they both do... But do as you wish. We always have USPS as a backup if all else fails!

Comment

Interesting to read the comments on this thread. I like discord I also like teamspeak I do not however like the argumentative tone I'm reading in the discussion of which to use. It seems to come from 2 sides on one you have the community members that are genuinely trying to make our community a better place for all. And on the other it appears to be a based on a "my d**k is bigger than yours" attitude and dropping in totally irrelevant knowledge to try and convince people to back your corner. I personally do not care what platform my voice is transmitted over as long as it can be understood as I am a flight simmer not an opera singer so the perfect quality is of no importance to me. As for the text chat via pm being a little different again I have to speak personally I join to talk to like minded simmers or gamers as I fly/play what ever game I am playing. If I wanted to enter into a txt chat I would use a platform designed for the purpose.
                  If the community as a whole decides we use one VOIP platform or another then so be it.
                  On a side note if you are writing in your argument stating there are people here willing to help it will have more persuasion if you are actually here offering the help.

Please remember teamspeak also caused us a community a lot of hassle in the past and at least with discord we know our servers are legal and will prevent the past repeating its self.
                  sigpic

Comment

Members who have read this thread: 41 but just 26 has voted allready.....please vote and maybe leave a comment, Thanx!
                    CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                    Staff Member
                    VA-Manager

Comment

I love discord....the simple fact of dragging a picture into the chat window is so convenient. If discord in the future can't sustain itself, then we can change back or move onto another platform at that time.

People need to stop acting like 5 year olds having a tantrum! Grow up! I agree with edd2287's statement.
                      [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0027.png[/img]

Comment

People need to stop acting like 5 year olds having a tantrum! Grow up!
                        You hit the point, Splithorse, almost the half of the TS3 voters are kids...
                        CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                        Staff Member
                        VA-Manager

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyRyback53 View Post
                          You hit the point, Splithorse, almost the half of the TS3 voters are kids...
                          Which is odd, because Discord's UI could arguably be said to be aimed at kids*. And yet it's we more mature folks who seem to appreciate it more.

*certainly the Help and the blogging is.

Comment

Why is this even still a discussion? Discord works fine. If someone wants to pay for Teamspeak, let them. msFLIGHTS.net is using Discord. Isn't it that simple?

Comment

Going back to the original posters intent, before he was mocked and things got off topic, we are having a discussion on people's thoughts about Teamspeak and Discord. This situation really did not have the proper time table to flush out completely because we were in a 3 week rush to make a decision as stated previously. Now that the band-aid has been ripped off and we're at this point, we can sit here and hash out what we're actually going to do.

Who knows, maybe Discord changes their entire business goal and a year from now we look on this as yet another step in keeping our community on the right track. Other people have more ideas to bring to the table and it's always good to hear what our member base has to say, especially now that we don't have the pressure of making an immediate decision.

Comment

I know what you mean by "kids" but what you really need to say is "immature". There are plenty of "kids" who are mature or at least not immature. There are immature 40 year olds. Now I mean I am 15 and technically a teen but I still am under 18 which is a kid. There are mature kids like LittleCube and I believe I am as well. Now I don;t want this to be the battle of the ages but lets use some more agreeable context. I know when you say kids your talking about the (excuse me) 10 year olds who scream in their mics or can't agree on a topic. I like both UI's but Teamspeak is just better to me because it's the first voice communication program I ever used and the one I used for years one end. I can't see how arguing is going to change this. If we're honest really who cares? WHO CARES? This is a flight simulation community. We are meant to be playing Flight Sim or even GTA V not staring at the Discord App hours on end. This is just a communication software. TS3 vs. Discord is stupid its not like its Communism vs. Capitalism! There ISN'T a Berlin Wall here! Just drop it. When you come up with the money to fund Teamspeak then we can talk.

Sincerely,
                                Clay

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                                Who has read this thread:
                                Working...
                                X