Promoting MsFlights.Net

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting MsFlights.Net

What unique ideas do you guys have for promoting our group?

Would anybody like to volunteer to help private message users commenting on FSX-Related videos on Youtube to tell them about us?
    Or seeking out facebook fsx groups and advertising to the users there?

Personally, I'm against both of those things. Any message I have ever received on YouTube has been spam. Anything meaningful has been in a comment on a video or on my page. Personally, if I were to receive a message saying "Hey, heard you like FSX, come check out this website!" that would be a sure fire way for me to never visit your website. But that's just me, it could go over well for some, I just find it really tacky.

Same goes for the Facebook thing. I am not willing to use an already established page for our own advertisement. We have rules against groups doing this to our community, why should we do it to them? We outright ban people for advertising in our Teamspeak and on our forums, I am not going be a hypocrite and do that to someone else.

So far we are doing just fine without actively advertising. I seem to be the only one using the Facebook page, and I try to "like" as many posts and make as many comments as I can on prominent FSX pages (for example, A2A recently posted Jakes landing video on their Facebook page. I made a comment using the msflights account saying how nice it is flying with him in our community on FSX). I think if people are interested, they can come to us, we dont have to reach out to people on an individual basis.

I also am on other websites such as reddit, and whenever I see someone who might want help in FSX or are LFG, I direct them to the Teamspeak and the website without pushing them too much.

Personally, I don't like advertising. We arent making any money off of this, and its not like our group is suffering from low player count, we are doing better than ever. I just feel that its a waste of time and will actually hurt is more in the long run if we're all out there recruiting anyone and anything that even associates itself with FSX or flight sim.

Again, this is all just my opinion, I'd love to hear the other side of the argument if anyone has a different opinion.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
    Steam Group:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

Comment

Fair points, however I look at it from the standpoint of lost players. There's not many mediums to reach out to those who are at a disconnect with the major communities for FSX. Either they are a part of something, or they have no idea it exists.
      I had contacted http://www.youtube.com/user/Jon5700 about FSX Beyond Gamespy and what he can do to let FSX Players know, and he's interested in getting something out there for us.

There's no emergency to go out and spam people. For YouTube I was thinking of just letting them know about FSXBeyondGamespy and let them know who we are and where we're from, and make sure that they know they can still play online with others.
      As far as the Facebook groups are concerned, there's dozens of FSX Fan Pages, I was talking about those, not established communities and advertising within those, that's a big no-no.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

I'm neutral on the topic of active pilot recruitment. I have positional opinions on so many of the topics we discuss here but methodology of finding more interested active pilots ain't one of them. I will defer to the position of the majority on this one and I cannot think of anything unique to find and inform FSXers (or MS Flight affectionados). However, on this new pilots subject, I would like to reiterate this; When a new pilot comes on TS or introduces himself in that thread on the forum, I'll make sure I comment positively and sound welcoming and informative. I don't actively lobby nor advertise on other venues but I do drop our name subtly whenever appropriate, even working our name into conversations that might not obviously call for a name drop.

I regret the way I personally handled FSXBG opportunity for a prominent msFLIGHTS.net position. My motives were good but my execution and perseverance sucked. I'll tell you all about it if you ask. I'll follow other members to other venues and add another enthusiastic and supportive voice to whatever those members may be saying (ak to Reddit, Kalo to AVSIM among others).

I'm apprehensive about our physical ability to dependably handle a great number of frequent FSX multiplayers in FSX host. I'll bring those concerns to a relevant mod level thread or meeting as the subject may arise.

WarHawK, I personally appreciate your efforts to recruit more pilots to here. ak, I hold many of your opinions on the subject, particularly our need (lack of need actually) for more pilots, as my own. I'll contribute to this topic as it is important, relevant and timely but again, this is not one of the decisions which we surely do need to fully address that I have a strong positional opinion on. I'll go with the flow, as it were.
        Respects, Bob ...

Comment

I think the best way to advertise is to advertise our group flights in appropriate forums like "Avsims MS FSX Multi-Player ForumFlight Simulator X Multiplayer forum. Have a multiplayer session to announce, questions about Mulitplayer, seeking assistance? This forum is for you." In fact I'm about to make a post about our flight this Friday there. Advertising on Facebook/youtube is probably a good idea, but it might not be good to private message people because they could consider it spam like AK said.

Comment

Hmm maybe if I draft something of what would be sent to them snd you guys can judge if its kinda spam or hard pressed advertising. When ik home tonight ill write up something.

Comment

Originally posted by ak416 View Post
              Personally, I'm against both of those things. Any message I have ever received on YouTube has been spam. Anything meaningful has been in a comment on a video or on my page. Personally, if I were to receive a message saying "Hey, heard you like FSX, come check out this website!" that would be a sure fire way for me to never visit your website. But that's just me, it could go over well for some, I just find it really tacky.

Same goes for the Facebook thing. I am not willing to use an already established page for our own advertisement. We have rules against groups doing this to our community, why should we do it to them? We outright ban people for advertising in our Teamspeak and on our forums, I am not going be a hypocrite and do that to someone else.

So far we are doing just fine without actively advertising. I seem to be the only one using the Facebook page, and I try to "like" as many posts and make as many comments as I can on prominent FSX pages (for example, A2A recently posted Jakes landing video on their Facebook page. I made a comment using the msflights account saying how nice it is flying with him in our community on FSX). I think if people are interested, they can come to us, we dont have to reach out to people on an individual basis.

I also am on other websites such as reddit, and whenever I see someone who might want help in FSX or are LFG, I direct them to the Teamspeak and the website without pushing them too much.

Personally, I don't like advertising. We arent making any money off of this, and its not like our group is suffering from low player count, we are doing better than ever. I just feel that its a waste of time and will actually hurt is more in the long run if we're all out there recruiting anyone and anything that even associates itself with FSX or flight sim.

Again, this is all just my opinion, I'd love to hear the other side of the argument if anyone has a different opinion.
              I have to agree with AK here, I hate Ads, and I think the trickle of new members we get is good because yes, we are growing but at a comfortable rate. I think growth is good but if the growth is slow we keep the same personal connection with everyone that we grown to love.

On a side note, I think if we start to advertise we could put pressure on other groups which might make them have a sour outlook on us.

This is just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

I might respectfully suggest that you're all starting at the wrong point here. Instead, please consider the following:

Step 1. Foster a discussion within the existing community to identify exactly what kind of place we collectively want msflights to become.
                Step 2. Identify the kinds of people who would both promote and fit in with that vision (and any that might not).
                Step 3. Only then decide whether any kind of advertising is necessary and, if so, what form it should take.

Unless step 1 above has already been done and we already have a community vision (and I apologize if I missed it since my recent arrival here), in going straight to step 3 we may lose as many people as we gain, as we journey toward some random as-yet-unknown destination.

And step 1 might reveal that we need to develop what we already have first, perhaps creating or extending facilities, or encouraging further groups or activities that build on what we already have.

Perhaps this is a topic for a new thread in this suggestions forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                  I might respectfully suggest that you're all starting at the wrong point here. Instead, please consider the following:

Step 1. Foster a discussion within the existing community to identify exactly what kind of place we collectively want msflights to become.
                  Step 2. Identify the kinds of people who would both promote and fit in with that vision (and any that might not).
                  Step 3. Only then decide whether any kind of advertising is necessary and, if so, what form it should take.

Unless step 1 above has already been done and we already have a community vision (and I apologize if I missed it since my recent arrival here), in going straight to step 3 we may lose as many people as we gain, as we journey toward some random as-yet-unknown destination.

And step 1 might reveal that we need to develop what we already have first, perhaps creating or extending facilities, or encouraging further groups or activities that build on what we already have.

Perhaps this is a topic for a new thread in this suggestions forum.
                  Storm, this is an older thread that was in the ideas section back when it was a Mod only section. But I have to agree with you. I really don't think we have laid down the need of a mission statement. Great Idea.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X