Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing Mountains With a Beetle

Howdy folks! As some of you know, I've got an old bug that is my pride, joy, and the most common/frequent cause of injury to my wallet. She (yes she) is a 1975 standard beetle with the 1600cc 4 cylinder and a 4 speed manual transmission. Recently I had some MAJOR work done to her by a local shop that works on nothing but classic bugs, buses, ghias, and other VWs and I'd been jonesing to take her for a long cruise.

Initially I didn't even plan on going to where I wound up, but when I got to the end of my planned route I wound up on the on ramp for I-80 rather than the turn around I needed. So, with my bug running like a top, an awful lot of confidence in my abilities, some MAGNIFICENT scenery (can't get these addons for FSX lol), I went bounding up the mountain on something other than the 2 lane windy road I started on.

Having 2 lanes in each direction on a highway that was planned rather than a mountain road of "Hey! Let's put asphalt HERE! This hill isn't that steep," was very nice. As I said, I was in the slow lane with all of the semi trucks. The reason being, Four Cylinders of Fury! doesn't make for great acceleration uphill. Topped out at 7277ft above sea level. It was wonderful. I stopped to take in the scenery and mountain air to the west of Donner Lake. Yep, Donner Lake, that place where those people ate each other...It makes for a strange setting to be in a place so incredibly beautiful, that has a HORRENDOUS past.

Here are some pictures from my cruise. The pictures don't do it any justice at all.
    When God finally says, "King, my office. Now!" I want to go barreling in there half spun out with holes in my clothes, smoke rising from me, and my hair in a mess. I want to be busy. I don't want to go explain myself and not have a great story to go along with it.

When God finally says, "King, my office. Now!" I want to go barreling in there half spun out with holes in my clothes, smoke rising from me, and my hair in a mess. I want to be busy. I don't want to go explain myself and not have a great story to go along with it.

Comment

Comment

beautiful pics but where is a shot of the beetle? (by the way, nice shoes too.)
        Marty

Comment

There ya go Marty. Thought I tossed one up already lol

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X