Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSX: Connecting to an FSX Server via GameSpy

I find myself flying in FSX much more often, and mostly in multiplayer sessions, so I thought I'd give the other FSX-born-again pilots a quick intro to connecting to multiplayer sessions. This post will be all about GameSpy connections. I do also suggest that you read my guide to connecting directly via IP address, here.

In either case, you want to start by opening FSX and choosing "multiplayer" from the main choices on the left.
    - Select "Internet (GameSpy)" and immediately realize that you don't have an account!
    - Click "Create New Account" below
    - Enter your desired in-game name, and fill out the rest of the form
    - Receive an error about your password being of the incorrect format, even though you know it was ok.
    . . . Try using a random, made-up, unique email address. Yes, yes, I know the error message says something to do with your password. . . just try it anyway. It worked for me!

In either case, you're ready to go! Enter your username and password and click "Sign In" to see the lists of open servers.

Notice that once you log in, you will be in the "Free Flight" lobby. This is BY FAR the most active lobby. Make sure you read the description of a session before you join, as some hosts require you to follow very specific rules to avoid being ejected.
    Note: We often use the Fly-Ins lobby so that you can more easily identify us. We also noticed that "You have been disconnected from GameSpy" appears much less often in the less-busy lobbies.

On that note, you WILL often see "You have been disconnected from GameSpy." It's not you, it's GameSpy. You will not be disconnected from the session you were in, but you will have to re-enter your password if for any reason you decide to end the flight.

Things to know about multiplayer sessions:
    * You must "end flight" to change aircraft, and then rejoin the session (at a starting location)
    * The host decides whether you can control realism settings, change current airport, use in-game voice communications, etc. Some hosts are more strict than others.
    * Press CTL+SHFT+O to select a target user (name appears in the top-right), and then CTL+SHFT+F to suddenly re-position your aircraft directly behind theirs (at their speed, altitude, and attitude)
    * Press [Enter] to see the text-chat window. Note: Only people with the text-chat window OPEN can see what you type.
    * I highly advise you to turn on "Ignore Crash" in the realism settings before joining a session. You WILL be crashed into from time to time (accidently, I'm sure), and re-joining a session is rather inconvenient.

I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm forgetting to mention. See me in TeamSpeak for more help if problems arise. And, above all else, have fun!!!

-Wingman Tingly
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Too bad we have to end flight to change aircraft.
    Password incorrect format stymied me for a long time. Excellent tip !

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
    Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X