No announcement yet.

Windows 8.1 Release Preview first thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 Release Preview first thoughts

So I installed the Windows 8.1 RP and I figured I would throw out my thoughts on it as well as if you should try it.

Should you try it... depends, on how bleeding edge you like your OS to be. Microsoft is offering 100,000 dollars for a bug that can be reproduced but their is a small issue and that is that the bug has to deal with the OS not drivers and what not.

That being said 8.1 is very stable and the added features are great but with the new kernel drivers aren't working totally yet so if you have something a little older then my Lenovo u400, something where there is no 3rd party drivers you shouldn't have an issue. On my u400 I have no Bluetooth, which is really bumming me out because I just got a the new Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse a few days ago and now I cant use it. Also AMD drivers aren't able to be used yet.

Skydrive and Skype integration are great as well as the new tile sizes. I am a huge fan of the new settings menu structure in the modern UI it allows you to do everything you would ever need to do in control panel but with out the non-user-friendly nature of control panel. Bing search is also a great addition to the search feature, now from anywhere on your computer you can search locally and on the web.

Most of what 8.1 brings to the table are small little features that really bring together some pieces that where left open with the RTM version of 8.

It's worth mentioning that if you install the Release Preview of 8.1 you will NOT be able to easily upgrade to the final release.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...ll-get-to-you/
    Once the final versions of Windows 8.1 are available, after their release to manufacturing, those who have downloaded the preview will get the same Windows Update plus Windows Store notification. While their data and accounts will be preserved if and when they choose to install the free, final 8.1 release, all their apps must be reinstalled, Niehaus said.

Even if testers opt instead to roll their devices back to Windows 8 after installing the preview bits, they still will have to reinstall their apps once they move to the RTM version of Windows 8.1.

Windows 8 users who do not install the preview build and opt instead to go straight from Windows 8/Windows RT to Windows 8.1 will not have to reinstall their apps. All settings, data and apps will carry over, a spokesperson said when I asked.
    - Michael
    Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
      It's worth mentioning that if you install the Release Preview of 8.1 you will NOT be able to easily upgrade to the final release.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...ll-get-to-you/
      Yes, I did forget that part. But only because that is not much of a concern for me because of the lack of things on my laptop, office, TS, Slacker, etc not a whole lot on here to start with.

Just threw up some pictures. (I know the blue and orange is not that good of a match but i am still playing with it)
      Last edited by Flyingdreamz; June 28, 2013, 08:49 PM.

Comment

thanks for the update, I just got a laptop with windows 8! Do you know when the full release will be ready of 8.1?

Also that reminds me Dakoda, I enabled RSS for that app you wanted to make for our website on windows 8. Let me know if it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
          thanks for the update, I just got a laptop with windows 8! Do you know when the full release will be ready of 8.1?

Also that reminds me Dakoda, I enabled RSS for that app you wanted to make for our website on windows 8. Let me know if it works fine.
          8.1 will be free and date is unknown. I am going to take a guess and say late august, to me that sounds logical.

The app is something I will work on after windows 8.1 goes RTM or RTW. I just dont have time to work on it currently but thank you.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X