Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discord member role changes

Hey guys, just wanted to update everyone of some changes we made a few days ago on Discord. In order to simplify things like having to add people to member groups, we decided to remove the member group entirely. This makes it so people don't have to seek out someone to make them a member.

I'd like to see if anyone else has some feedback on this issue, I have heard a couple complaints about this change already, mainly that it's difficult to find people that have actually flown with us every now and then in the long list of online members. A lot of the online members listed in Discord might have signed onto Discord once, never to come back again, so it's hard to distinguish people that participate in the community among this list.

Any how, do you think there should or shouldn't be a member group on Discord? Another thought was to give people membership when they register on our forums, that way it's actually like signing up for a membership, instead of forcing it on people.

I am neutral on restoring Discord membership category. With my tendancy to think and feel philosophically rather than practically, Discord membership elimination feels more inclusive of the general multiplayer simming public. Practically, I can't tell who is a previously participating flyer that I just have yet to meet. Members-only locked rooms for the purposes of non-membered troll avoidance were also eliminated.

Much of this Discord rearrangement, along with immediate webpage cleanup and update were done pursuant to a widely attended Discord discussion during tarmac time after Kalo's Wednesday night Short Hops group flight. A philosophy of community governance and facilities configuration of which I am a most vehement proponent is that we listen and act on suggestions, requests and complaints. These Discord editions and changes are and were demonstration that this member-accommodating philosophy is still the way we roll.

In keeping with this member-centric as opposed to technically practical philosophy, I have encouraged my friends in staff to much more frequently post and publish to member accessible forums (as opposed to staff only sections) much more than has been our (justified IMHO) custom of working out the details in staff-only discussion before general membership presentation for discussion. Of course it is much easier to work out implications of changes in a smaller group such as our active staff than it is to achieve timely accomplishments in open member discussions. We, as a community, also run the risk of seeming like we don't know what we are doing technically when we bring or entertain non-planned out ideas into public forum member discussion.

I encourage those caring to identify as msFLIGHTS.net members to forum register. I welcome those who do not care to register to participate in our activities on our various multiplayer sim-serving facilities.

I also encourage comment on Kalo's specific Discord questions here in thread by all those who frequent our skies and our voice comms. I fear lack of forum thread participation will demonstrate the necessity to take such discussions back into the confines of staff only forum. I encourage your posts and thoughts on ANY of the topics of community direction and organization you may have heard being discussed on Discord. I encourage any new topic(s) that may be of importance to you be brought to public attention in existing topical threads or a new focused thread as may be applicable.
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

If we start having issues again with trolls we should put it back. That is really our only defense against an informed person wanting to be disruptive.

Comment

Hiya all, i allready wrote something similar to Kalo via PM, what do you think about to put a VA section below the Staff, where all VA-Admins are listed.

Reason 1) i'm tired to make conversations with VA newbies via the Comments in our VA

Reason 2) Pilots , who have interest in our VA can find quickly a person for questions and adwises verbal or textchat.

Reason 3) It would be like a comercial for new joiners of the community, and we would have the VA displayed in Discord, because Kalo mentioned the VA in the Discord channel search. And maybe put the link for the VA into the "read me" section of the voice channel section.

I guess, my request would even fit in the Thread of Wingman: http://msflights.net/forum/showthrea...-the-Community

I think our VA is an attraction of our Community and deserves to go public on Discord!!
        CaseyRyback59/Andreas
        Staff Member
        VA-Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          If we start having issues again with trolls we should put it back. That is really our only defense against an informed person wanting to be disruptive.
          Can you mute a user in discord?

I've found over the years that it's a lot easier to just mute somebody you don't want to hear.

They have no idea you've muted them and can carry on playing music/shouting obscenities instead of trying to find a way around a ban.
          An admin also doesn't have to be around to mute.
          If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

yes u can, just by right clicking on the username
            CaseyRyback59/Andreas
            Staff Member
            VA-Manager

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyRyback53 View Post
              Hiya all, i allready wrote something similar to Kalo via PM, what do you think about to put a VA section below the Staff, where all VA-Admins are listed.

Reason 1) i'm tired to make conversations with VA newbies via the Comments in our VA

Reason 2) Pilots , who have interest in our VA can find quickly a person for questions and adwises verbal or textchat.

Reason 3) It would be like a comercial for new joiners of the community, and we would have the VA displayed in Discord, because Kalo mentioned the VA in the Discord channel search. And maybe put the link for the VA into the "read me" section of the voice channel section.

I guess, my request would even fit in the Thread of Wingman: http://msflights.net/forum/showthrea...-the-Community

I think our VA is an attraction of our Community and deserves to go public on Discord!!

Sounds like a good idea to me, and I like that it would promote our VA also.

Comment

@Kalo, can u switch this off ? Theese green arrow messages?

CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                Staff Member
                VA-Manager

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X