BigBox community server will be off line for one day, IP address will change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigBox community server will be off line for one day, IP address will change

I must take BigBox server off line to replace this IP's current Cox leased modem with a customer owned modem. The IP address 72.193.52.237 here at BigBox's Henderson, Nevada address WILL change. I will publish the new IP address for all BigBox server functions to the community in general and to ATC_ROO specifically as administrator of our SimLink nodes. BigBox serves as SimLink US2 node.
    Respects, Bob ...

Coincidental timing? I heard that the ISP my family uses in New York recently increased its monthly modem "rental" fee by about 50%.
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Wingman, I've been meaning to replace the rental modem for quite some time. Since the dissolution of the Comcast IP service in Seattle a week ago, I now have a suitable cable modem (from Seattle) to make this economical. The Cox rep advises me that the Motorola Surfboard model SB6121 that I changed to only has four channels whereas more recient cable modems made by some company that bought Motorola's modem hardware division puts out a model SB6183 with sixteen channels and an overkill (futureproofing) model SB6190 with 32 channels. However, I am continuing to get the same 120 Gb down, 20 Gb up that I am used to seeing with the Cox rental modem. Additionally, I have no idea what benefit additional cable modem channels are nor what a modem channel is a channel thru or to. My techie friends are welcomed and encouraged to enlighten me in this thread, particularly regarding any possible benefit to our community that an increase in number of cable modem channels might engender (sim server-wise). I'll be glad to buy a bigger modem but the current SB6121 hasn't exhibited lack of capacity nor undependability, ever.

The new IP is 72.193.29.165. The old IP, no longer in use was 72.193.52.237. I will publish in this thread further details, communicate via forum PM with ATC_ROO (SimLink) and explain as much as I dare after dark, PST. There was more to this necessity of an IP change than the mere economy of not renting a modem from Cox. I will share such a tale only in staff forum and only in vague terms. Be assured that I do have my tin foil hat firmly fitted.
      Respects, Bob ...

Comment

ATC_ROO has replied to my forum PM indicating that SimLink UK mothership server has been updated with Henderson, Nevada new IP address of 72.193.29.165. ROO indicates in that message that such mothership update is sufficient to activate a correctly configured US2 SimLink node on our sim network. ROO has not TeamViewered into BigBox for any other IP address updates.

No textual reference, either on our webpage nor Discord, have been edited. The IP address change is permanent, or as least as permanent as non-commercial ISP service can ever be. Any staff that feels like making such IP address textual updates, please feel free. As BigBox no longer hosts any IP specific sims, this IP address accuracy does not affect our sim server operations. Steam and SimLink, the two current sim multiplayer networks of which BigBox is a part, do not require user knowledge of the hosting IP address.

May I request that any BigBox TeamViewer capable staff attempt experimental connection to BigBox and report in this thread success? Thank you in advance.
        Respects, Bob ...

Comment

TeamViewer seemed to work just fine. Thanks for all the hard work.

Comment

NOTAM sent to all our Twitter followers.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X