Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick summary video

Published November 2016, this user does a review of the choices available when looking for flight control items:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiIjcDYLKRY

Heeeeeey, they skipped the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X, which, for being a very budget-friendly HOTAS, does well enough for me (and the 1,178.1 four- and five-star reviewers on Amazon).
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

I use the Thrustmaster 16000M. It's very good but he omitted something important, viz. the slider wears out quickly (though the joystick is very durable). So it's a great stick but don't use the slider for a throttle. (To do so is ergonomically awkward anyway.) I'm still using the Joystick part of mine after 4 years and it gets intense use. (I use a separate Seitek throttle quadrant.)

It's worth noting the three main joystick axes (pitch, roll and yaw with twist) are Hall Effect sensors. In plain language, that means they're non-contact and therefore don't wear out or get "scratchy". In fact the centering springs will wear out first! (That's the problem with the separate slider: it's not Hall Effect - it's a contact potentiometer - so it wears badly.)

It also has 12 base buttons, a trigger, three thumb buttons and a HAT switch. The trigger on mine is starting to wear! And, for what it's worth, the base lights up around the stick (green for old models, amber for new) whenever the stick is moved, and stays on for several minutes - which you might think is cool or annoying but turns out to be neither.

Comment

I use the X-56 he showed in the end. I really like it. I had the X-55, but a couple buttons on the throttle quit working after six months. So, I sent it in for repair and got the X-56 back. It's basically the X-55 with a new paint job. The one thing I did notice when it came back is it seemed like it was put together on a Friday. One of the rotary knobs on the throttle feels like it's not on right, and I'm not a big fan of the new thumb axis on the stick. On the other hand, it has out lasted the X-55.:single_eye:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X