•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Rely On GPS Alone?

Can You Rely On GPS Alone?

Click here to find out.

I suppose if we're working backwards from full GPS dependency, the next logical step towards independence would be knowing where the function is on your particular GPS to view additional info about a target airport. For example, you may be -D>0O2 (Baker Airport, California) from the east, which puts you right into the possible GPS service unavailable NOTAM radius. Fortunately, even if positional data goes wonky, you can still use that function to search the GPS's database for the NAVAIDS/VORs nearest to Baker such as GFS (114.4). It should give you the distance and radial from that VOR to Baker, so you just need to go Direct to the VOR via plain ole NAV radio instrumentation (if available), and then OUT FROM that VOR on the prescribed radial for the prescribed distance (via DME, if available).

The best part is: no messy charts! (Though you'd still better have them available!)

Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Most problems with the GPS are caused by the operator. It takes you someplace. Just not where you wanted to go! :applause:
      [COLOR="#008000"]Josh
      CW4 US Army Retired [/COLOR]:)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

A friend of mine, whose Luscombe I flew, once got a device that used two or more VORs to plot your position on a map. Then GPS became available. I'd rather have GPS than that VOR device: far more accurate and far more reliable. And remember INS?

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
          And remember INS?
          The Chief and someone else and I were talking about that the other day.

Comment

That someone was Randy.

Talked about DNS also..... ?
            [COLOR="#008000"]Josh
            CW4 US Army Retired [/COLOR]:)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              That someone was Randy.

Talked about DNS also..... ?
              Ah yes. I couldn't remember to save my life.

Comment

On my way to sun 'n fun this year we had a total blackout in the sky the hole panel reset itself in IFR conditions.
                All we had was a small arera 500 made by garmin till it loaded back up.
                [IMG]http://173.83.96.30/stuff/images/A2A/banner-n7048p.png[/IMG]
                [COLOR="#006400"][B][I]Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself![/I][/B][/COLOR]
                [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]✈️Youtube:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw[/URL]

Comment

Scary! Did you uncover the cause of the random reboot? ... was it running Windows 10?
                  Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleCube View Post
                    On my way to sun 'n fun this year we had a total blackout in the sky the hole panel reset itself in IFR conditions.
                    All we had was a small arera 500 made by garmin till it loaded back up.
                    Where are the standbys?! I don't see any on the dash. :uncomfortableness:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X