Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimLink US2 node and Steam TacPack requires further maintenance

The BigBox server which hosts our SimLink US2 node (IP 72.193.52.237) as well as our FSX Steam TacPack and member host will be taken off line Friday, 8 July, for maintenance (again). Further testing by our knowledgeable staff member Travis has determined with certainty that the solid state drive containing the operating system is the faulty part causing the lag evident in the last two weeks. New SSD has been ordered. Existing suitable SSD will be harvested from my fully functional client computer for use in an immediate BigBox rebuild and full fresh reinstallation of OS and server softwares.

I will edit this existing Tech Chat thread, post #1, and this thread's title to communicate with our sim server admins, general staff and interested membership the intentions, requests for assistance, progress and eventual resolution of this community resource maintenance. I will leave the original BigBox maintenance thread posts in place for reference only. Refer to this constantly edited post # 1 for current, timestamped BigBox status. Please refer to Discord voice app Text Channel #msflights-info for Discord-level BigBox status reports.

It is my intention and decision that this time, BigBox will function under Windows 10 operating system after rebuild. My efforts at reinstalling Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center Edition, the OS that has run BigBox for years, presented unnecessary delays in effecting the recent prior rebuild. I truly feel that Microsoft Corp. is doing everything in its power to thwart, hinder and confound efforts to install and reinstall their legacy OS's. Previous efforts to secure Windows 10 digital entitlement (think product ID, license) proved orders of magnitude faster, more direct, simpler and with no inherent Microsoft Corporation "spam" to refuse, opt out of, decline and avoid. During last week's BigBox repair and rebuild efforts, I took the opportunity to install Win 10 OS for purposes of securing the free OS upgrade registration before the expiration of the free upgrade time limit (29 July).

Thank you again to Travis, ATC_ROO, Razor, 404Mike, Storm, Buck, AIRWOLF and anybody I forgot for your historic and consistent efforts in maintaining this sim server for the benefit of our community.

Respects, Bob...

[ EDIT ] 16:30 EDT Recently ordered replacement SSD hardware has arrived. As of last night, BigBox fails to even boot to OS multiple times. Eventually, this morning, I was able to successfully boot one last time. I deactivated TacPack license. BigBox will be off line until disk storage (SSD's and spinners) are rearranged between BigBox and my client computer. Windows 10 will be fresh installed in both computers. BigBox will be brought back to server status as rapidly as possible, about Monday. Such hardware and OS installations will preclude me from participating in flight for about another week. I will maintain full forum and Discord contact from an uninvolved laptop. I'll keep status updated.

[ EDIT ] 18:30 EDT 9 July BigBox and my client computer now have Win 10 fresh installs functioning and most hardware hung and working. I'll rebuild from scratch the seven remaining unconfigured spinners after a nap. I anticipate SimLink node server software and Steam TacPack will be ready for configuration Sunday morning EDT.

[ OLD POST #1 FOLLOWS]

The BigBox server which hosts our SimLink US2 node as well as our FSX Steam TacPack and member host will be taken off line today for maintenance. Steam TacPack hosting will be transferred to a temporary hosting arraignment thanks to our respected tenured member, Toto (David) and the administrators of our Shadow Squadron TacPack team. Due to continually degrading performance (which apparently has NOT affected sim server experiences), BigBox will undergo a full OS reinstallation and sim server software overhaul.

I will post further details and update the community and staff on this project's progress in further posts in this thread. Thank you in advance for your continued sim multiplayer use of our other sim server connection alternatives.
    Respects, Bob ...

BigBox SimLink US2 node and TacPack Steam server is being taken off line for at least 3 days for major operating system and flight sim software reinstallation. There have been several delays caused by SimLink network problems resulting in BigBox being the only operational SimLink node and other local computer preparations and personal real life needs. I apologize therefore for the fluctuating maintenance calendar schedule. Much of that was beyond my control.

BigBox is being taken off line now. Thanks in advance for your patience.
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work, Bob.

Comment

For a SimLink n00b like me, can you clarify which (from the SimLink quick start guide) is the US2 node?

Thanks!
        Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
          For a SimLink n00b like me, can you clarify which (from the SimLink quick start guide) is the US2 node?

Thanks!

BigBox server computer is configured in our community's SimLink network on IP 72.193.52.237 and is designated "US2" SimLink node only arbitrarily. This IP information should have been specified initially and is my error in not being IP-specific.

Operating System reinstallation work is going without any insurmountable errors but is more time consuming and fought with obstacles being overcome one by one satisfactorily. This question reply post is the firstuse of any sort coming from Bigbox under the TEMPORARY Windows 10 installation which has been completed early this morning. I will test several aspects of this temporary Win 10 OS, such as it's functionality in its traditional role as SimLink node and functionality as a Steam server before I verify the Win 10 license "digital entitlement" (which replaces traditional OS product key) that I have secured and then revert BigBox to its original Win 8.1 OS with a complete virgin Win 8.1 OS reinstall.

This server maintenance is going forward satisfactorily but slowly.
          Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Yes the US2 is the Las Vegas Node which Bob is repairing of course. The other ip's you can use are 23.255.202.27 (Kansas City Node) or roo.servebeer.com (UK Node).

Comment

BigBox server computer hosting SimLink US2 node and ~msFLIGHTS.net~ TacPack Steam facilities has been fully restored to service. Many thanks to ATC_ROO for the SimLink server software installation and configuration, Razor, Shade 2 for TacPack and related components configuration and to N404Mike for SimLink server and other SimLink component testing. Appreciation is also extended to the community flight leads and members for their patience and accommodation during this lengthy sim-server facilities rebuild.
              Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Please see this thread's post #1 for updated BigBox server maintenance status. Updated 18:30 9 July.
                Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X