Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T or Comcast (XFinity) internet service

Next week I have to choose one or the other. Any thoughts, comments, experiences that would be helpful in making a decision?

Thanks!

I have had good long term stability with Comcast in Seattle. The Steam NA server on Comcast annoyingly disconnects from Steam with all to frequent regularity (twice a day is average but only periodically). However the variables concerning this are beyond me to properly quantify and analyze. Comcast has had some national scale service interruptions over the past few months that have been well publicized. Technical internet backbone regional problems is what I read.

Comcast customer service has been, for me, adequate to good. That seems to be a matter of who you get to deal with as opposed to a corporate directive to Comcast representatives and on-customer-site subcontractor technicians.

I have no experience nor knowledge regarding ATT. I advise asking any technically literate neighbors in your new neighborhood if practical.

Again, thanks for your sim server hosting and your overall work coordinating our sim server array. I trust you are reading my tech posts over in staff forum and my forum PM on sim server matters.
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Depends on what you're looking for. I can tell you only my opinion about Comcast.
      • Speed? Comcast seems reasonable value for performance. We have 125 Mbps down/12 Mbps up, negotiated for the same price from the 70 Mbps available to everyone in our building. They're also the fastest provider locally.
      • Reliability? Very few problems. Some occasional packet loss at peak times due to sharing the building with 47 other apartments.
      • Service? They're hard to reach on the net or the phone if you do have a query and you want to actually speak to a human (especially a human in this country). However, the tech people they send on-site are very knowledgeable and helpful (at their shops, less so).
      • Bundling? They'd be delighted to sell you a bundle with TV and/or landline.
      • Moving on? They're notorious for making it as hard as possible for people to quit them.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post

• Moving on? They're notorious for making it as hard as possible for people to quit them.

HTH
        Haven't heard that. Ran into something similar with Time Warner. They wanted to keep me on the phone forever and wanted this and offer that. Is that what you mean?

Comment

THanks for the feedback to this point.

I am leaning towards AT&T. Cost is 20% more than Comcast but speed is twice as fast (24 vs. 45 mbps). Son in law that lives near the new house says he experiences some occasional drops in wifi service but thinks it is the modem/router. Not worried about that. I will be buying my own modem/router.

Anyone have any stability issues with AT&T?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X