Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply to Graphics card?

I'm Installing my new graphics card into my PC. It's a GTX 970. I'm trying to hook up the power supply but Not really sure what wires to look for. My graphics card came with two connectors. https://m.imgur.com/a/nVzre

I'm not sure if my power supply even has the right cables. Not sure if I need to get a new one. My power supply is a turbo link 500W.

Comment

Well, first off you only have a 500w power supply. This may be workable however, I recommend at least 600, 750 should be plenty(and my choice). Also I looked up some reviews on this power supply and they are not good. I am not telling you to go out and buy a new one but I recommend doing so. I can not tell if your power supply has the right connectors for it based on online pictures.
      You may be able to get an adapter to make one of those 8 pins have the option of 6 pin

This would be a good alternative if you have the money http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K85X2A2/?tag=pcpapi-20
      This would solve your Pin problem and the quality is much better than your current one. I wouldn't leave that one running unattended, that's for sure.

Comment

I have these two cables laying around. http://m.imgur.com/account/Cougarbas...images/KrBtdMx

My graphics card came with these 2 cables http://m.imgur.com/account/Cougarbas...images/xnEbtS6

Comment

How hard is it to put in a new power supply

Comment

Does Best Buy sell any power supply's?? Like in store.
            Last edited by cougarbasketball; March 5, 2016, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Hey Cougar, I think BB might but you probably want to call ahead. You can also check stock online.

I agree with Travis that the 500 is probably a bit weak. I agree that a 750 is more what you should shoot for.

Those cables that came with the card are to adapt the big/standard drive power supply connectors to your graphics card. If you get a 750 Watt supply, it will probably come native with the cables and connectors you need.

I prefer the modular supplies which just means you get a pack of cables and just plug in the ones you need and save the ones you don't. (Be very sure that the connectors are fully seated where they connect to the power supply, though, and make sure they don't pull out with a medium tug) Best Buy shows a bargain Corsair CX750M 750 watt supply for $82 online. Don't know how you are for funds, but I always go with a silver rating or above (just how efficient they are) and modular.

But I do think you should replace the supply.

Comment

Okay thanks for the info. Ima head over to Best Buy and see if they have anything.

Comment

Is it hard to put in a new power supply?

Comment

Well, you need to connect your GraCa with both connectors, one 8 pin and one 6 pin, otherwise she will not work. and what ever adapter u use, for each of the connectors u need a separat powerline comming from the Powersuply. so u realy need to buy at minimum a 750 to have enaugh feeds for everything.
                    DO NOT USE TWO ADAPTERS ON ONE POWERLINE WHAT COMES FROM THE UNIT!!!!
                    CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                    Staff Member
                    VA-Manager

Comment

I'm gonna go get this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-...&skuId=8324202

Comment

Let's not confuse the subject. While Cougar's TurboLink XG500W does indeed lack the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors, his problem is not in the 500W capacity of the PSU. NVidia recommends (not even "minimum system requirements", but "recommended") 500W for this card. It only draws 145W peak, leaving 350 for processor/etc (more than enough). Let's not turn this into a "whose PSU is bigger" game.

Coug, the four-pins-in-a-row power connectors you show are not related to graphics card installation (more commonly, they are for DVD drives, hard drives, etc).

That all being said, it appears that your potential replacement PSU will work. If you can wait for shipping/etc, you may find it cheaper on NewEgg or Amazon. Best yet, use our msFlights.net Amazon link on the homepage to get it... no price difference, but the community gets a kick-back.

Installing a PSU is not hard, but it does take patience and a good short-term memory (or smartphone with a camera) (or wire labels/tape & paper) since it connects to just about everything (motherboard -- at least in three places, graphics card, each hard drive, each cd/dvd drive, and other peripherals you may have).

The big "don't forget-abouts" are:
                        - the long bar with two rows of a bunch of pins (powers the motherboard)
                        - the square plug with four pins (powers the CPU)
                        - the really small, thin plug with two-to-four small holes in it (powers the CPU fan)
                        - the aforementioned four-pins-in-a-row connector or fancy thin bar with a Tetris-piece-shaped slot (powers the hard drive)
                        - the 6-pin AND 8-pin "PCI-E" plugs for the new GTX970!

I didn't see for sure, but sometimes the 8-pin PCI-E connector is really a 6-pin with a small 2-pin hanging close-by/off to its side. You may have to puzzle-piece them together while you plug it in to make it an 8-pin... this is common. (Sometimes that long bar with two rows of a whole bunch of pins [motherboard power] is the same way, with a main 20-pins plug and a hanging 4-pins plug to piece together if needed).
                        Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

I'm just afraid of his power supply failing under heavy load, It has been mentioned in many threads. But I never owned one. And technically he should have just enough. But on the flip side, I think his investment will be worth every penny. His components should be better protected voltage and wattage wise and corsair is a pretty reliable company when it comes to power supply's. Also cougar, Best buy does price matching. If you see it online for cheaper like newegg or amazon show them.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I did buy that one that I linked above from Best Buy today. The corsair 750w. I got it for $80. Currently installing it right now. Seems pretty easy(:

Comment

When connecting power supply to the GTX using the PCI-e cables should I use 2 separate ones?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X