Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric 'winkle' Brown has passed away.

Many of you will not know who Eric brown is/was but he is one of my personal heroes of aviation and a very distant relative of mine (My grandfathers second cousin) unfortunately i never got to meet him but my father did at my grandfathers funeral.

Q: Who was Eric Brown?

A: He was The uk navy's most decorated pilot and his official name was Capt Eric Brown MBE,OBE,CBE,DSC,AFC
    Eric flew one of the most remarkable careers i have ever seen here are some of those incredible highlights:

• held the world record for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft - 487.
    • During World War Two, Capt Brown, who was born in Leith in 1919, flew fighter aircraft and witnessed the liberation of Bergen Belsen concentration camp.
    • "He also held three absolute Guinness World Records, including for the number of aircraft carrier deck landings and types of aeroplane flown."
    • He had caught the bug for flying at the age of eight when his father, a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps during World War One, took him up in a bi-plane.
    • Survived 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
    • Met Churchill and King George VI numerous times
    • Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma Grese

He Really was an incredible Man and i am honoured to share a bloodline (if somewhat distant) With him Winkle as he was known world wide passed away in a hospital in Surrey at the age of 97.
    Just thought id share the news.
    sigpic

1945-12-03: Winkle Brown makes the first landing and take-off from an aircraft carrier in a jet aircraft in a Sea Vampire.

Comment

Awesome man, I've read quite a bit about him. RIP
      [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RrDpHEG.jpg[/IMG]
      [url]www.fsxblueangels.com[/url]

Comment

That's an interesting guy. He was a man of may thing. Rip
        [IMG]http://picresize.com/images/tagdf.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X