Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pc.. Any suggestions?

So I recently thought of building a new desktop gaming computer.. So I thought there are some experienced and knowledgeable guys on here to ask for some advice and suggestions. I am not going to be using it for FSX only but other games too, for example; Elite Dangerous, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, GTA V etc.

CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4790k 4.0ghz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming7
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (8 x 2 sticks)
    Storage: 1TB HDD & 250gb SSD
    Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 960 2GB
    Power Supply: Corsair 430 Watt
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=5]Happy Flying :)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]YouTube:[/B][url]https://www.youtube.com/user/TrixterGaming36[/url][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]-Trixter36[/SIZE]

at first glance the graphics card is 2gb i presume ddr4 (maybe 4gb min for the intensive gpu games gta fallout etc)
    the power supply might need a bit more juice but will do.
    processor -fine
    storage-hhd fine, ssd - my fsx is 170gb alone so if you are planning to have the OS and or fsx on the ssd maybe go for a 500gb they are available for not much more than the 250gb if you shop around.
    Missing details- Cooling id recommend the h100i water cooling but you will need a bigger power supply.
    Hope my opinion helps but it is defiantly a good mid range pc as it stands.
    sigpic

Comment

I have the 4790k and love it, However the skylake 6700k is just a bit more and worth it, or so I have heard, This means you would have to get a different motherboard. If you can spare the extra hundred bucks, the gtx970 is where you want to throw it at! expecially for GTA V. the 960 wont let you max out, however as long as you are running around 1080p resolution the 970 will be able to. (the 970 should come with 4gb and GTA V takes full advantage of your Graphics RAM) I had the asus 970 in my computer for a year and loved it, but it did have some minor issues. Make sure you read the reviews before you buy. No matter what I recommend getting a 600 watt power supply. At max load, your system will use near 400 Watts and not having enough power can potentially damage components. A 600 watt PSU should only cost you a little more, Also try to get a "Fully modular" one and at either 80Gold or 80 Platinum.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Comment

Yup; I'd suggest trying to allocate more of your budget to the GTX960->GTX970 upgrade. Perhaps downgrade the MoBo to a $100 option if you're at your budget ceiling? You can also save by not water-cooling this system. I don't think it's necessary here.
        Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
          I don't think it's necessary here.
          In Australia Wingman its required :biggrin-new:

I agree with Edd and Travis as well Powersupply look at something in the 6-800W range As well the consensus of going to the GTX970.

I would seriously recommend a second SSD for FSX / Flight simming programs in the 500GB range.

Good Luck!

Safe Skies
          Novawing24
          Per Ardua Ad Astra

Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Novawing24
          Join me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Novawing24
          Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/novawing24
          Official Novawing24 website! http://www.novawing24.com
          My Onedrive! http://tinyurl.com/novawing24-onedrive

Comment

I'd also recommend water cooling. We all know FSX is very CPU bound, so the faster you can get it via overclocking the better it will run. At a minimum a really good air cooler, but the step up to a closed water system is not that much. Make sure your case can accommodate the cooling you choose.

And like Travis & Wingman said getting that card up to the 970 would help in the other games a lot.

The only other recommendations I would have would be generics... Look to the future or upgrading would be the entire PC in the future. Perhaps a M.2 slot for a future SSD (they will be replacing the SATA interface in the future just as SATA replaced IDE before it). USB type C (easily added via addon cards though), DDR4... It would mean a different chipset/cpu though, but easier to upgrade in the future. Buying the old technology can be cheaper but it locks you in for future upgrades.
            - Michael
            Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
              The only other recommendations I would have would be generics... Look to the future or upgrading would be the entire PC in the future. Perhaps a M.2 slot for a future SSD (they will be replacing the SATA interface in the future just as SATA replaced IDE before it). USB type C (easily added via addon cards though), DDR4... It would mean a different chipset/cpu though, but easier to upgrade in the future. Buying the old technology can be cheaper but it locks you in for future upgrades.

I agree that it may be wiser to invest into the newer tech. The skylake cpu's are more consistent with overclocks. However once you buy a motherboard, you are most likely going to be locked into that specific generation. I am in the Haswell generation, and since I have the 4790k, That will more than likely mean I cant upgrade my CPU anymore unless I get a new motherboard.

The old tech is a little cheaper, but if you put it side by side right now, I have noticed it is only about a 10-15% increase in price. But your return will more than likely be a 10-20%(or maybe more) increase in performance. Yes this will add a couple hundred bucks to ur purchase, but you have to buy the best to get the best... and also, You can hold off on buying a graphics card as well. I believe that chipset comes with "on board" graphics, meaning it runs from the CPU and mother board. Just make sure you check the motherboard as well for compatibility. If you hold off like I did on my build, you will notice FSX runs just fine this way. In fact, when i got my graphics card there was a very minimal impact to its performance. Other games like GTA will suffer a significant amount. Elite Dangerous will do pretty well but definitely not near max settings.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
              I learned a lot from Linus Tech Tips on youtube. I recommend watching that.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions, Much appreciated! I will upgrade the GPU, CPU, P.S, . I don't think I will water cool because it's too much of a hassle, & there's numerous possibilities that can go wrong (considering it's my first ever build), maybe in the future I will. But now keeping my budget in mind I don't think I can get the MoBo that I want, Do you guys have any recommendations? & Thanks again.
                [SIZE=4][SIZE=5]Happy Flying :)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]YouTube:[/B][url]https://www.youtube.com/user/TrixterGaming36[/url][/SIZE]
                [SIZE=2]-Trixter36[/SIZE]

Comment

Trixster36,

I agree with the recos the other guys advised. If you are looking forward to the LM P3D route in the future (FSX is practically dead in terms of support & development from MS unless you go with DTG's FSX-SE) which harnesses more GPU vs. CPU power, invest on a step-up, reputable GPU brand/model with at least 4GB for more headroom like a GTX 970 or even a 980 if you budget permits as more, newer games will become more demanding due to hi-res graphics processing not to mention payware FS scenery, aircraft, etc. addons. You may step down your mobo to a Z97 Gaming 5 or similar as it wouldn't substantially differ much. And oh, an SSD upgrade will make a huge difference in terms of smoothness and faster loading times. Just my 2 cents ;-)
                  Last edited by GhostRider; February 15, 2016, 07:13 AM.
                  [B]Flying a helicopter is the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind...[/B] :very_drunk:

Comment

So it's been a year now. Is the GTX 970 still the way to go?

Comment

I haven't regretted going with the GTX 1080. Two of them.

Comment

Depends on your budget. To my knowledge the 1070 is still the best price/performance ratio on the high end side without going to extreme. If you have the money I would shoot for the 1080ti, or wait another 6 months or so for the next series. Depends on what it is for and how bad you want it. At this time, I would probably stay away from the 900 series or older. It isn't bad, but as things age, price to performance degrades as well unless you can really find that card for 150 bucks or less. If you can find 2 of those for 250-300 bucks and put them in SLI with an actual use for them such as P3D, and I think maybe Xplane? Then Heck ya, that would be worth it. But probably best to stay away unless you have a real good incentive.

Comment

I decided to go with the 1070 and haven't looked back. It's great.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814500408

Somehow I got it for $360. I can't find it that cheap anywhere anymore. The benchmarks on PC gamer and some other sites show that the 1080 is only marginally better but costs a lot more, so as Travis said, bang-for-the-buck, the 1070 is the way to go.

I might actually go for a 980 over a 1060, but I'm not sure if that would be better.

I built my pc by looking at the various builds on tomshardware.com. As for price/performance, I've been very happy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ilds,4390.html
                          Craig "Bushman"

Find me on: MyCockpit.org, AlmostAviation.freeforums.net

Comment

The prices on GPU's have gone way up since the price for a bit coin has gone thru the roof. People are buying all of the GPU's for bit coin mining. At least that is what I read on the internet....and everything on the internet is true...
                            [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0027.png[/img]

Comment

New pc.. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Splithorse View Post
                              The prices on GPU's have gone way up since the price for a bit coin has gone thru the roof. People are buying all of the GPU's for bit coin mining. At least that is what I read on the internet....and everything on the internet is true...
                              Very interesting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu...ncy,34865.html

I'd say definitely go with the 1080 then. If price is no issue, get two! (And then mine cryptocurrency in your off hours!)
                              Craig "Bushman"

Find me on: MyCockpit.org, AlmostAviation.freeforums.net

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X