Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boinc

This is nothing to do with flight sim which is why its in the General section.

But I thought I'd make everybody aware of BOINC, as I think it's an excellent program which is under used.

BOINC is a program that sits in the background of your PC, tablet or phone and processes data for other people when your device is not in use.

Why would you want other people to use your processor I hear you shout?

There are scientists out there looking for solutions to problems we have today in the world.
    A cure for Cancer
    A cure for malaria
    Finding Aliens on other planets.....
    to list just a few.

If a scientist were to use thier massive Oct core, 1000gig PC to help their research, on certain problems it would take years.

Where as if the same scientist could use the computing power of millions of computers all over the world, that same research could take months, weeks or even days.

How does it work?

You download a client like BOINC or World Community Grid and configure it to run when your PC or phone is not in use.

The client will download a small portion of the scientists project and use your PC to work out the answer.
    It then sends the results back to the scientist and downloads the next problem.

I have used BOINC for around 10 years on various machines and have had no problems.

I currently have it running on a PC, Laptop, Raspberry Pi and my Samsung S6.

For example I have my phone setup to CRUNCH (as it's known) only when it is on charge, the battery power is above 90% and the screen is off.

I leave my phone on charge all night while I'm asleep.
    As my phone takes around an hour to charge the rest of the time I'm asleep it's helping to find a cure for Cancer etc.

If you want to use this, the easiest place to get started would be World Community Grid which is where I found it.

I do have a team called Boinc'ers if you wanted to join it.

The android BOINC client can be found in the Google play store and world community grid can be added to that along with others.
    Last edited by ATC_ROO; February 7, 2016, 03:12 PM.
    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

BOINC CRUNCH?
    Basic Online Information Network Coordinating Computational Reasoning & Understanding (for) Naturally Curious Humans?
    TLAs be damned!
    (on TLAs... I tutor a friend/student pursuing a degree in the healthcare industry. OMG how TLAs are over-used!... LOL)
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
    Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X