Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying the Hump

This article should bring back memories... not to mention it has some entertaining language: "...most of us proceed to pat ourselves on the back the moment the mains touch, because our machines have the steering gear in the front so, even on a windy day, it takes a feckless dolt to lose control once rolling along the ground."

The article contrasts IFR flying today with that of decades ago, focusing on one particularly famous and dangerous route, "The Hump," and the aircraft that very often flew it -- the C-46 Commando.

Serious IFR: Flying the Hump
    Durden, Rick. AVweb.
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Interesting article. I will admit I skimmed most of it, its pretty extensive, but interesting....
    HawgDawg4Life.....

HawgDawg4life@msflights.net
    See my videos Here

Comment

Excellent article. Brings back memories of my days in DC-3's and other Douglas prop jobs. Thankfully in those days I was to young to be scared. Nothing the flask in my back pocket and a smoke couldn't cure. I was also fortunate that my Dad had stories from the war and he had a job at the airport starting in 1948 and I was essentially raised on a tug on the ramp.

Thanks for the memories
      “We deliver anything to the people there—food, mail, the morning paper, the afternoon paper, laundry, refrigerators, Christmas trees, just about anything that will fit in an airplane.”

Comment

Yes, the good old days. Flying IFR in a single engine helicopter doing a stuck card ADF approach using the mag compass. Lead, lag, push the head, pull the tail. Please, let me just crash and burn! :smile-new:
        [COLOR="#008000"]Josh
        CW4 US Army Retired [/COLOR]:)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

... and they want to cancel the NDB approaches in our National Airspace System. That'd take all the fun out!

Comment

WOW! Even VOR/DME approaches also. Guess there will be no more VOR intersection holding either. I guess "lost communication procedures" will go also with cellphones now. How can an Instrument Flight Examiner have any FUN these days?
            [COLOR="#008000"]Josh
            CW4 US Army Retired [/COLOR]:)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Pull the glass panel fuse?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              Who has read this thread:
              Working...
              X