X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Li-Fi, Future Of the Internet???

Hey All,

This video is about the new internet technology called `Li-Fi`, I would like to see your thoughts
    and ideas about this, Thank you!

Video --> https://youtu.be/wqH9KX9o0vg?t=13s
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=5]Happy Flying :)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]YouTube:[/B][url]https://www.youtube.com/user/TrixterGaming36[/url][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]-Trixter36[/SIZE]

Li-Fi is incredible! It is really awesome to think about the potential and all the different possibilities that could come from replacing Wi-Fi with it. However I can't help but think about how many security issues that would come from it. I'm not that big into network security but I would rather stick with 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks rather than trying to figure out how to tighten up the security on Li-Fi.
    But the speeds that are capable with using higher frequencies are just astonishing!!!
    All's shiny!
    73s

Comment

It is really a great concept, however I like to turn off my lights during the day time. For this to work It seems the lights need to be on, Also what about dead spots/sensors? Sure It may work in good light, what about in your own shadow? Until proven otherwise, this seems to have many inconveniences. Maybe once more is done on this I will be more interested. Also since this technology has been known since 2011 and its almost 2016, I would expect a more known real scenario testing at peoples homes if it was as great as it sounds!

Comment

Rather than considering it a replacement for Wi-Fi or generally a gateway to the internet, why not start by envisioning some point-to-point applications where this technology currently could make sense and no other technology is being widely used (even if it may exist). For example:

- A vehicle's break lights send information such as speed and breaking strength to vehicles immediately behind. (Headlights could act similarly, but they're not always on whereas break lights are only off when broken.)
        - Your computer screen/TV/mobile device shares information to Google Glass or other wearable tech about the web site/application/TV show you're using, allowing the wearable tech to respond per the developer's programming.
        - Never see "printer not found" again! Just point your monitor toward the printer.

And how about some aviation applications:
        - Airport beacon carries airport identifier, current ATIS, NOTAMs, and the price of AVGas/JetA to a pilot's iPad.
        - Landing lights... hmmmm... spinoff thought:

Can the relativistic doppler effect if landing lights be measured by a sensor near the touchdown point on a runway to determine "time-to-runway" for an inbound aircraft? If so, visual indicator lights could warn aircraft before taxiing onto a runway (e.g. runway ahead yellow wig-wag lights could turn red when an approaching aircraft is within [x] seconds from the runway). Perhaps this theory is defeated by arguments such as that there is absolutely no standardization in landing light color, aircraft speed on approach will vary, landing light intensity may not be strong enough for measurement until it's too late anyway.
        Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

(Response to Travis.)

Your thinking about the direct influences of light. Light is made to "bend" around things as demonstrated in the TED demo. You can also have a light that you can't see with your human eye, but it can transmit data. (Forgot what it was called) If you really want to get into stuff like that, check V-sause.

P.S. That just gave me an idea! Ga-fi Gamma waves that can transmit data...

Comment

With the points stated above, there are multiple uses for the technology. But I still don't see it becoming the standard. Wingman and Travis brought up some great points that I will have to think more on. But my biggest issue with Li-Fi is the security side of things. I would love to see the creator of Li-Fi and the smart street tech (can't remember what it's called at the moment) get together to bring information technology to the roads. That would be able to give direct and real time data to D.O.T.s as well as drivers, law enforcement, and tow truck drivers. I could see Li-Fi and smart street joining together to repave high ways and turn pikes across the U.S.!
            All's shiny!
            73s

Comment

1st the most important thing to understand is what has happened for this to have made the news. It’s my understanding that the concept was recently successfully tested in a lab. Think of it as pre- pre- pre- Alpha.

Originally posted by Travis View Post
              It is really a great concept, however
              Because of the lighting limitations it should be thought of as a supplement to existing Wifi connection methods.

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
              Rather than considering it a replacement for Wi-Fi or generally a gateway to the internet, why not start by envisioning some point-to-point applications
              Ooo, good thought. Any one else seen the movie “Looker”? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082677/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              Who has read this thread:
              Working...
              X