X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get FSX box?

Hi all,

I've been reading all I can and trying to understand this multiplayer thing.

Right now, all I have on my machine is FSX Steam. I have a license for P3D version 1 and 2 but have neither installed at this time. I don't have my box FSX, I gave it away when my last machine just couldn't run it well.

A few months ago, I bought a desktop replacement laptop (I have a space issue where I live) with a 4790k processor and a 980M video card. FSX Steam runs perfect for me and I enjoy it. I'm simply waiting for P3D version 3 that is supposedly in beta rather than reinstalling v2.5.

I do have a potential issue with storage because I'm using a SM951 m.2 PCI-e card for FSX Steam for the blazing speed of the PCI-e bus. I think I can get P3D and FSX box on it if I have to because I put all the scenery files on a 1TB Samsung Pro SSD.

So, this is the long journey to my question.

It seems to me that many people fly on the box server rather than the Steam server. All I ever see on the Steam server is Vancouver....which is great but most of the time it's night when I get on and I figured out from another recent thread here that I can't change the time. I'm learning that things like FSHost and FSCloud allows cross platform flying but I haven't made the decision to mess with them yet.

It seems that the easiest solution is to simply have FSX Steam and box both installed. I'm ok with that because I'm pretty certain my machine will run it especially if I don't load it down with all the addons like I have for FSX Steam. The problem I think is getting the box. It's not like they are available at Walmart for $25.

So my question comes down to....in the opinion of the veterans of msflights, to get the full experience of making the most of my time here, should I spend the big buxs and get FSX box or will everyone eventually migrate to Steam so it won't matter in the future?

I'm happy with Steam but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of fun flying with a lot of you here.

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.
    “We deliver anything to the people there—food, mail, the morning paper, the afternoon paper, laundry, refrigerators, Christmas trees, just about anything that will fit in an airplane.”

We have a reasonable number of newer members such as yourself that only have Steam. As far as the Vancouver thing goes, the server is just a FSX session where that computer is setup as the "host". Which means that the person starting the sessions must select where to place the aircraft. It has absolutely no influence on your activities. The host aircraft is just a parked plane. I personally avoid the "host airport" like the plague. It's where all of the new users who don't know how to change the starting location join at. It tends to be a free for all play zone for the folks that know little if anything of aviation or FSX.

Over the course of the next few weeks or months we should arrive at a conclusion of what, if any, multi-platform software that we'd like to use. That would make this discussion mute if we go that route.

Installing the Boxed version after the Steam version can cause some headaches. The best bet would be to completely remove Steam, install the boxed version, and reinstall Steam.

With all of these things in mind combined with your potential need for storage space I would think that FSX boxed is not really a route to go just yet. If you can wait until the end of October we may be able to scare you into trying the multi-platform client if we select one.

Comment

Thanks karlh,

That helps me a lot. I'll watch the forums and TS3 for information on the multi-platform host you decide on. Also, thanks for the information on the Vancouver thing......I was wondering why people were flying fighter jets into me....LOL

Thanks again for the help. I'll stay with Steam and P3D v3 (when it comes out) and do the multi-platform thing.
      “We deliver anything to the people there—food, mail, the morning paper, the afternoon paper, laundry, refrigerators, Christmas trees, just about anything that will fit in an airplane.”

Comment

I guess it depends who you ask, personally I only have Steam installed now...and plan on getting p3d V3 when it comes out. Steam is basically service pack 3 for boxed and is still getting updates so it runs better. I think most people that still run only classic and haven't made the switch yet is because its a huge pain to re-install FSX with all the add ons, it's probably best to make the switch when you have to re-install windows.

As Karl said were looking into programs that allow cross platform multiplayer, once we decide on one a few group flights will probably be flown with that program each week.

Comment

Thanks Kalo,

I was reluctant to go to Steam for the same reason and also because I had this mental block about allowing Steam access to my machine. I got over it as I saw how Dovetail essentially did a SP3 and the reviews came in. I really like how well it works without any tweaks to the cfg file.

I gifted a $4.99 copy I was holding to my flying buddy and he may move over when, as you suggest, he does a windows reinstall.

Thanks for the info on the cross platform, I think that will be my path.

Bobby

Comment

I'm glad I'm here at msflight.net because the people here are helping me learn.

I read through a detailed description someone wrote here about FSHost and managed to get it installed. After some trial and error, I got myself sitting on the ramp of one of the stops in the P-51 race last night. Then the magic began.

I heard some pilots on TS3 talking about shooting the approach to where I was sitting, then saw 2 pilots taxi up to me where both of them took the time to explain how the client works. They were on box and I was on Steam. This demonstrated to me the answer to my original question.

I had 2 great experiences yesterday, the short hops with props and the P-51 race. I want to thank everyone for their kindness and patience teaching this old rampie new things

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X