Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for joystick recommendations

With FSXX on the horizon, I figured this would be a good time for a thread discussing the current options for flight sim hardware.

What is everyone currently using in their current setup? I'm looking to replace my Cyborg FLY 5, which has turned into quite an ordeal because now I can't see myself flying without split throttles and of course the only options with split throttles are on the very high end of the market.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Thrustmaster TM16000000000000M or the Logitech X52.

Would love to hear your thoughts on any and all joysticks or even yokes and other accessories that are part of your setup or intend to be.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
    Steam Group:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

ak, I currently have a 7 year old Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick and throttle which has been nothing short of wonderful. I use similarly aged Saitek Combat Pro pedals which continue to work fine. I'm looking at an additional Honeycomb yoke and throttle in the future but I'll keep my Thrustmaster stuff mounted.

ak, I'm delighted to see you here in forums and I hope for some bush flying with you sometime in the future.
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Oh wow; I remember (I guess I had selectively forgotten) my Cyborg F.L.Y. 5... What a unique little springy center-heavy tilt-off-the-desk nightmare with awesome looks and split (but link-able) throttles that was! I haven't done much (any?) flying since replacing it with a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS-X. P.S.- Do you cover those two annoying blue LEDs near the hat switch that always used to shine in my eyes?

While not perfect, the HOTAS-X has been a "just fine" all-rounder. It has a solid/wide base so it doesn't have the constantly-tipping-over issue of the Cyborg, and it has more buttons than the Cyborg (though I believe far fewer than the two options you've listed), and it has a center-detent on the throttle, making it quite ideal for application of zero forward/back-thrust in Eliteangerous, where I've mostly used it since purchase.

That all being said, I remember discussions (long ago) of the difference between potentiometers and hall-effect sensors. My HOTAS-X has pots. The 16000's stick advertises as having hall-effect sensors. I can't find solid evidence of the X-52 having either Pots or HE Sensors; some seem to say that the major axis (stick/Pitch&Roll) are HE, and the rest (e.g. twist/Rudder) are Pots. Thus, get the 16000!
      Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT DUNN 2 View Post
        I currently have a 7 year old Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick and throttle which has been nothing short of wonderful. I use similarly aged Saitek Combat Pro pedals which continue to work fine. I'm looking at an additional Honeycomb yoke and throttle in the future but I'll keep my Thrustmaster stuff mounted.
        I have the exact same items, and also considering the Honeycomb. If I didn't have all the old Saitek stuff I have I do think it would be a no brainer. But as I have all that it makes the honeycomb just seem busy, and flimsy. But the levers that will come with the throttle they are working on is sweet... again if I didn't have the other gear. For now I'm also watching https://www.fulcrumsim.com/ for their new yoke to be finished and will then decide.

I have heard of folks having problems with their Warthog's, but I haven't had any problems with mine yet either. Although I do switch between stick and yoke often. I previously had Thrustmaster F-16FLCS combo that was pretty solid for having pots (I did a USB conversion on it and still have it). Although the Warthog has a much better feel all around versus that old one. If it was in your budget I'd recommend it for sure. It is pretty nice being able to program everything for Elite Dangerous so I can play in VR and not have to peek out to find a key on the keyboard. Everything at my fingertips.

So like Wingman said the 16000 having the same HE sensors as the Warthog versus (possibly) pots is a good point. As well there is the throttle where do you have a preference of a sliding or rotating. I would think the lights on the Logitech would bug me. On the Logitech stick it seems like the buttons are more accessible to your thumb, versus lots on the Thrustmaster look to be on the base, so removing your hand from the stick likely. I don't know what I would assign to the rotary dials on the Logitech.

While I personally prefer the rotating throttle versus a slider, I think between the two I'd go with the Thrustmaster. Overall the buttons on the throttle are what tipped my opinion.

- Michael
        Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

I'm using a VKB Gladiator II now and its been the best joystick I've used by far. Some of my previous ones have been Logitech 3d pro, thrustmaster t.1600 and another older thrustmaster model. The logitech was decent quality but the stick sensor was not great. The thrustmasters I had seemed really low quality. The t.1600 had a good sensor on the stick, but I did not like the ergonomics of it, and the throttle slider was really bad, and it just had a overall cheap feel to it. It also broke right when the warranty expired....it looks like this has happened to so many other people with the t.1600 I wonder if they are designed to fail...lol.

This VKB gladiator II has been great so far and is the best quality/performance of all my previous joysticks. It has a great stick sensor and lots of buttons on the base, my only complaint is there should be more buttons on the top of the stick, but it looks like their new model has added some. It looks like they only sell the gladiator K now which is the new version of mine...the base looks almost the same they just changed the stick up and added more buttons on it. It runs $150-$170 (it looks like they have a premium version with slightly different setup and a ministick like some throttles have). They also make super high end joysticks if your into that but they are quite expensive.
          https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-k

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
            Oh wow; I remember (I guess I had selectively forgotten) my Cyborg F.L.Y. 5... What a unique little springy center-heavy tilt-off-the-desk nightmare with awesome looks and split (but link-able) throttles that was! I haven't done much (any?) flying since replacing it with a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS-X. P.S.- Do you cover those two annoying blue LEDs near the hat switch that always used to shine in my eyes?
            Despite all of it's flaws, if it were available, I would probably consider buying a new FLY 5.. I had two buttons fall off of mine, and like you said it was super unstable but I think that could be fixed with some suction cups. It was surprisingly responsive and smooth and the split throttles were perfect for flying two of my favourites, the A2A Cub and the A2A P-51. I ended up cutting the wires to those LEDs, they were blinding!

Originally posted by ROBERT DUNN 2
            ak, I currently have a 7 year old Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick and throttle which has been nothing short of wonderful. I use similarly aged Saitek Combat Pro pedals which continue to work fine. I'm looking at an additional Honeycomb yoke and throttle in the future but I'll keep my Thrustmaster stuff mounted.
            Originally posted by Waterman981
            I have heard of folks having problems with their Warthog's, but I haven't had any problems with mine yet either. Although I do switch between stick and yoke often. I previously had Thrustmaster F-16FLCS combo that was pretty solid for having pots (I did a USB conversion on it and still have it). Although the Warthog has a much better feel all around versus that old one. If it was in your budget I'd recommend it for sure. It is pretty nice being able to program everything for Elite Dangerous so I can play in VR and not have to peek out to find a key on the keyboard. Everything at my fingertips.
            The Warthog retails here for $729.99, before taxes. Add a set of pedals and the price is just too high. If I were going that route, I would probably consider going with VIRPIL instead anyway because of the customization they allow.

Originally posted by Kalo
            This VKB gladiator II has been great so far and is the best quality/performance of all my previous joysticks. It has a great stick sensor and lots of buttons on the base, my only complaint is there should be more buttons on the top of the stick, but it looks like their new model has added some. It looks like they only sell the gladiator K now which is the new version of mine...the base looks almost the same they just changed the stick up and added more buttons on it. It runs $150-$170 (it looks like they have a premium version with slightly different setup and a ministick like some throttles have). They also make super high end joysticks if your into that but they are quite expensive.
            https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-k
            This is the joystick I want and have been watching for a few months now. It is very difficult to find in stock and very few retailers have them. I had the Gladiator MKII from the X-Plane store in my cart and ready to buy when they restocked it recently, but decided against it when I was quoted $80USD shipping for a $100USD joystick.

Thank you everyone for your input, lots of great discussion here.

I'm still undecided on what to do. Maybe I'll do some maintenance on the FLY 5 for now until I can find the VKB Gladiator in stock, because that really is the ideal joystick for me and the price is right. If I get impatient, I'll probably swing for the T1600000000M.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed, it's given me a lot to think about it!
            Steam Group:

Comment

Originally posted by ak416 View Post

This is the joystick I want and have been watching for a few months now. It is very difficult to find in stock and very few retailers have them. I had the Gladiator MKII from the X-Plane store in my cart and ready to buy when they restocked it recently, but decided against it when I was quoted $80USD shipping for a $100USD joystick.
              I bought my gladiator 2 directly from the VKB website...total price was $125 including their high $40 shipping (they ship directly from their factory in China, hence the high shipping). The new K version is about twice the price of the older version so I'm not sure if that includes shipping...or do they still charge $40 shipping? They do have a Notify button on that webpage to get a instock alert. I'm thinking I'll probably pick one up when they get back in stock.

Comment

I'd never seen those VKB's. For a single unit they look pretty sweet at that price point. And again, never saw the VIRPIL's either, also cool looking.

And exchange rates can suck.. The warthog is currently under $500 US on Amazon.com.
                - Michael
                Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
                  Honeycomb
                  I bought the yoke. Very solid for the money. Closer to the Thrustmaster Warthog than the Saitek X-55 in build quality. So far having no issues. Of course too new to report on long term durability.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
                    I'd never seen those VKB's. For a single unit they look pretty sweet at that price point. And again, never saw the VIRPIL's either, also cool looking.

And exchange rates can suck.. The warthog is currently under $500 US on Amazon.com.
                    I have seen very little negative reviews regarding VKB's products, and same goes for VIRPIL but I pay less attention to their products as they are very much out of my price range :P VKB also offer upgrade kits and seem very transparent and upfront about what their products are and what they are not.

Originally posted by Karl
                    I bought the yoke. Very solid for the money. Closer to the Thrustmaster Warthog than the Saitek X-55 in build quality. So far having no issues. Of course too new to report on long term durability.
                    The Honeycomb yoke was tempting and I did consider it, but I rarely fly anything with a yoke but decided against it. I really like their style and the seem to make quality products, looking forward to seeing more products from them in the future. I know their throttle is expected to release sometime this year and it looks great!
                    Steam Group:

Comment

So against my better judgement I went ahead and ordered the VKB Gladiator MK2 and it arrived this morning and I couldn't be happier. Went for a short flight in Flight and its such a smooth and precise stick. I paid way more than I wanted to for it due to the shipping costs and I was really worried it wouldn't get here for another month or more given that it was shipping with USPS.

Metal base, very clicky and tactile buttons, you can switch modes and use the shift button to map different controls to the same buttons, the throttle is fine but I'll probably pick up a TWCS throttle because I want a proper hotas setup.

If anyone is looking for a desktop joystick in the US I highly recommend it, they aren't making them anymore and it's difficult to find any joystick in stock right now, at least here in Canada. X-Plane.org (not affiliated with X-Plane) had my order shipped a few hours after I made my purchase. USPS was slow getting it to Canada, but once it got here it arrived overnight. Currently, X-Plane.org is not shipping the stick internationally due to how slow USPS is, so it looks like I got mine just in time. They ship from Tallahassee, FL.

https://store.x-plane.org/Gladiator-MK-II_p_595.html
                      Steam Group:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X