Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Flight Simulator returns - The rebirth of the beloved franchise.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalo
    replied
    Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
    they're then using Azure AI to stitch the seams together so as you're flying, you're seeing a seamlessly connected Earth.
    I agree that this sounds a bit concerning. Microsoft Azure is basically cloud computing, so will it actually require an always on internet connection? I would hope they will allow you to download different regions of where you want to fly instead of relying on an internet connection. I find it a bit hard to believe that they would require an always on internet connection, especially after the failure/backlash of other games that have required an always on internet connection. Maybe the guy meant they used Azure AI for development (as demonstration/sales pitch) and the game will not actually be using it during playtime.

Leave a comment:

• Novawing24
    replied
    I share Waterman's concerns, but at the same time temper that with while it might have taken peta bytes of data to build...it may not need it as an always on connection to stream it. Features like live weather might, but not everything.

Regardless, we still have nothing more than 100 seconds of visuals to go on, so we will all wait and see what happens next.

For those on Facebook, there is a group started to join in the discussion and share information as it comes to light https://www.facebook.com/groups/MSFS2020/

Safe Skies

Novawing24

Leave a comment:

• Waterman981
    replied
    Originally posted by ak416 View Post
    Spencer says that 2 petabytes of geographical data is used to seamlessly stitch together Earth.
    While this all looks amazing, and I'm very hopeful for it, this is the part that has me worried.

This looks like the full interview (pg 2 where FS is discussed): https://www.pcgamer.com/xboxs-phil-s...games-store/2/
    'You're going to have to put at the bottom that that's in-game. because nobody's going to believe that's in-game." You notice the video says '4K in-game'. And then I said, "why does it look like that?". There's 2 petabytes of geographical data behind that game, that they're then using Azure AI to stitch the seams together so as you're flying, you're seeing a seamlessly connected Earth. I was like "you've gotta put that in the video because it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen". It's using real geographical data, real weather data, to give you the ability to literally fly around what looks like a living planet.
    So it's going to require an always on internet connection to get that scenery. Fine... I'm sure Comcast will love me going over my data cap, but besides that what happens to those services if this unfortunately fails? If like with Flight you get a bunch of 3rd party developers talking bad about it. Especially scenery devs as I don't see how they would have any business, that do all they can to sour the communities and try to get it to fail. It would only be a matter of time before MS pulls the plug on that. I guess we'll have to see how much will run offline for this.

I hope this is successful.

Leave a comment:

• ak416
    replied
    Microsoft Wants to back Flight Simulator to show it supports PC

Microsoft Flight Simulator is returning, 13 years after the launch of Flight Simulator X. It's a long time to go without what used to be a PC mainstay, with 12 games appearing between 1982 and 2006. Phil Spencer, Microsoft's head of gaming, hopes that its revival is more evidence of its renewed commitment to PC.

It was revealed after Microsoft's Game Pass for PC announcement, and Spencer says Microsoft wanted to use the opportunity to put its PC games in the spotlight.

"I didn't know if the PC community was going to be watching or not, but we went Flight Sim, we went Age, we went Wasteland," he says. "We want to make sure we're building games and supporting games that the PC community... we want to respect what they love."

Microsoft apparently has some pilots on its teams—big surprise—who are fans of the series, and they've been passionate about bringing it back. I guess sometimes you don't want to drive all the way to the hanger. It's also got a community that has stuck around. After Gamespy shut down, killing Flight Simulator X's multiplayer, Dovetail Games got the license and released a Steam edition with multiplayer and Windows 8.1 support. It launched in 2014.

"Flight Sim was a game in our past that sold millions and millions of units and had a very, very passionate community—in fact, they're still out there," says Spencer. There had to be a reason to resurrect the series, though. "Can we do something new with Flight Sim? Can we actually move it forward in an interesting way?"

The result is something that, judging by the trailer, looks impossibly vast and real. Spencer says that 2 petabytes of geographical data is used to seamlessly stitch together Earth. The trailer rushes past cities, swoops down so we can see elephants and giraffes hanging around and then soars the mountains for some truly incredible views.

Spencer warned the team: "You're going to have to put at the bottom that it's in-game, because nobody is going to believe that's in the game."

Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming next year.

Keep an eye out for our full interview with Phil Spencer, coming soon.

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-wa...t-supports-pc/

Leave a comment:

• ak416
    replied
    Originally posted by Wingman View Post
    I'm not a console gamer... not since N64, at least... so I have to wonder: How in the world does an Xbox controller have enough buttons, triggers, d-pads, etc. to effectively simulate flying in anything but the most basic of VFR circumstances??
    So I used 360 controller to play Flight from release until whenever we moved over to FSX, and used it with FSX for somewhere between 6 months and a year before finally getting a joystick. I actually prefer the 360 controller for Flight but didnt find it ideal for FSX. It's tricky but I think you would be surprised by how well it works. I used triggers for rudders, left and right d-pad for flaps extend/retract, d-pad up and down for elevator trim, X was wheel brakes, B was throttle down, Y was throttle up, A was interact, left stick was pitch and roll, right was hat switch and I can't recall what I used the shoulder buttons or the LS/RS buttons for. Anything more technical than that required the keyboard and mouse, but for actually flying I think it works really well and is super comfortable.

The Xbox One also has keyboard and mouse support so there is nothing stopping them from allowing console players to plug in a keyboard and or mouse.

And, would/could an Xbox MSFS2020 user be Discord-ing while Xbox-ing?
    Yes, Xbox One has Discord support. First party Microsoft games on Xbox One and PC also have cross-play, so PC players can play online with console users and vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• Wingman
    replied
    I'm not a console gamer... not since N64, at least... so I have to wonder: How in the world does an Xbox controller have enough buttons, triggers, d-pads, etc. to effectively simulate flying in anything but the most basic of VFR circumstances??

And, would/could an Xbox MSFS2020 user be Discord-ing while Xbox-ing?

Leave a comment:

• ak416
    replied
    Originally posted by Lazerbolt View Post
    From what I've seen on my Xbox one, games that are available on the "Xbox game pass" are also available to purchase. Hopefully this is the case here.
    Yep, this will almost certainly be the case. There have been a lot of rumours surrounding the "subscription service", but it should also be available to purchase separately. I say should because anything could change, but at the time of writing this post there are no "subscription only" games as part of the Xbox Game Pass, each and every title available on the service is also available to purchase separately.

Think of Xbox Game Pass as Netflix. You pay a monthly fee and are granted access to a library of content, and you have access to that content as long as your subscription is active. That library of content might change from month to month or year to year. However, Microsoft has already committed to launching all of their first party titles on Xbox Game Pass, day and date with retail copies, so I would expect their first party titles to be the staples of the service, while the 3rd party titles cycle in and out on a more frequent basis.

Wingman, in the article that you posted, Russ states that Flight Simulator is "part of a new gaming system for Xbox that will stream games in the console or on PCs." and I just wanted to specify that, as it stands currently, you are downloading the entirety of the game and DLC to your PC or console, you are not streaming the game content as you would Netflix or something like Google's Stadia or Sony's PlayStation Now service. You are basically granted a license to that game for the period of your subscription and it is no different than purchasing it outright.

Nova, at the moment, Microsoft does not require a Live subscription for multiplayer on PC. I don't think that's likely to change anytime soon, so lets keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way!

I would also be surprised if this didnt launch on Xbox and PC at the same time, or at least the same window. From my understanding, games and apps on the Xbox One and Windows 10 are both "UWP" apps and are mostly compatible with each other, meaning if it works on one it should work on the other, or at the very least be "portable" with minimal effort. I could be way off base, but that's my understanding of it.

This is a very exciting trailer and I can't wait to see more! The weather, the night lighting, the performance, the Cubs! All look very promising. Here's hoping they can deliver.

Leave a comment:

• Trixter36
    replied
    Looks Amazing!

Leave a comment:

• Lazerbolt
    replied
    From what I've seen on my Xbox one, games that are available on the "Xbox game pass" are also available to purchase. Hopefully this is the case here.

Leave a comment:

• Wingman
    replied
    Following to see if there's any mention of VR support.

Edit/Addition:
    Russ seems to think it's part of a $14.99/mo subscription service, as Nova was referencing.
    https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...ght-simulator/ ...Yup -- AVweb again...
    ... Russ also thinks E3 is Microsoft's conference. https://www.e3expo.com/about-esa
    Last edited by Wingman; June 10, 2019, 08:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Travis
    replied
    I hope we are able to purchase it instead of a monthly subscription if we want. I think the game pass may bring people to flight sim that may otherwise not have tried it though. It sounds like the Xbox Live subscription won't be required, but who knows.

Leave a comment:

• Novawing24
    replied
    Some interesting information announced right before the MSFS announcement, Xbox Game Pass for PC.

It appears to be similar to the Origin Access program from EA offering a range of games free for use that will rotate on a regular basis. MSFS is tagged to be available first on this service, hopefully they won't enforce Xbox Live subscription for multiplayer!

https://youtu.be/73kSvsQ_kkA?t=1890

Leave a comment:

• Kalo
    replied
    That looks really promising...finally modern graphics in a flight simulator!

Leave a comment:

• ROBERT DUNN 2
    replied
    Thanks, WarHawk. Appreciate the likelihood of additional info, Nova. If it runs on PC, I'm in at launch.

Leave a comment:

• Karl
    replied
    Wonder if they will stick with their ESP flight dynamics or give XP a run for their money.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X