Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSX Steam Teamspeak Channel

Hello MS Flights community! Lately I have noticed that we have been gaining more steam members. I think it would be great if we could offer them a place to hang out and fly on the teamspeak channel that directly points out Steam and Boxed editions! My idea for now (for a quick "fix") would be to change the Non membered room names, Free flight A & B to Free Flight Boxed and Steam Editions. Who Agrees? Who Disagrees? Its our community and your input is important! Your choice will not offend me personally.
    I Agree, we should change the channel names!
    53.33%
    I Disagree, The channel names are fine how they are.
    46.67%

The poll is expired.

I endorse some permanently named TeamSpeak channel for use as voice comms with our ~msFlights.net~ NA (North American), AU (Australian) and, when on line, EU (Europe) FSX:Steam servers. As you all know, in-game comms are always disabled on all of our flight simulation servers including Steam. It would only make sense to me to have such a TS permanent Steam labeled channel outside the members only area.

I must post quickly this time due to RL time-critical demands but I will more fully disclose and discuss this topic and poll more completely in this thread and any resultant discussions on this and other related subjects that may appear in the staff private section of our forums.

I would also like to discuss permanent labeled TeamSpeak channel creation for our servers and interest groups for PREPAR3D v2 and VR Simulations TacPack operations. I would prefer that that conversation at least start out here in member public forum.
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Well, we have 5 GP-Rooms, wich are the most time used from pilots, who hanging there alone or from some other, who fall asleep before they move to the AFK-Channel. So if you guys wanna have a Steam-Channel, i would suggest, take 2 of the GP-Rooms and name them GP-Steam1 and GP-Steam2 and let the other 3 for Boxed FSX. In this way we don't need to create more Channels and the the GP-Channels getting more busy...maybe

My 2 cents
      Regards Casey

P.S.: Don't forget
      General Purpose Rooms 1-5
      These rooms have been provided to give our members a place to hang out with friends away from the main channel. These rooms are provided first come first serve. As such, please do not leave yourself in a GP room when noone else is in it.
      CaseyRyback59/Andreas
      Staff Member
      VA-Manager

Comment

I think it would be good to label a room for steam. We have been getting a fair amount of new people that use steam FSX, and it's not too clear to them who is flying Steam and who is not. I actually have been asked by two different people that use Steam why msFligths does not have many group flights in Steam, so a Steam room may help foster growth for the Steam community. I would be fine with either renaming free flight a/b or two of the GP rooms like Casey suggested.

Comment

A good example is right now(for me). some of our pilots are adding (Steam) onto their names, which is a great idea! But I just wanted to share it as an example.

We could help these people out by changing Free flight B to Free Flight Steam so people don't have to come in asking, Boxed or steam?

Comment

Travis beat me to the punch with this "(Steam)" gamertag appendage observation. This idea was solely thought of by the pilots using this notation. By the nature of how these FSX:Steam centric (or specific) pilots get over to our TeamSpeak from the in-game voice disabled FSX:Steam, it would seem to me that a labeled TeamSpeak FSX:Steam channel should be outside the members only fence. Having said that, DCS, Elite Dangerous, Other Games and even the ghost of Microsoft Flight TeamSpeak channels have been created inside the membership fence. The FSX:Steam TeamSpeak channel creation has inherent and philosophical differences from other dedicated named channels I might propose to you all, such as VRS TacPack and PREPAR3D.

Above all, let us please come to a decision on such an FSX:Steam TS channel sooner than later, even at the cost of insufficient time to garner all interested pilots' opinions. We can always call it a bad idea or in need of change later. Additionally, I would be glad to offer to try to insert text manually into the FSX:Steam chat box to inform FSX:Steam users of voice facilities and any other information the community might want broadcast to FSX:Steam chat box. Think of the FSX classic FSOpen text bot effect. I have seen ATC-ROO use this chat box cut-and-paste text injection successfully in ROO's ATC information dissemination. Here's wishing HawgDawg4Life finds some time in the near future to complete his FSX:Steam tools project to automate these endeavors. FSX:Steam multiplayer management tools is a subject I'd like to discuss in the future but another thread, another time. Dave Wave of FSOpen made comment on that subject here:

http://fsopen.co.uk/forum/posts/list...?threadid=3609
            Respects, Bob ...

Comment

My first though is worth renaming GP4&5 to reflect the msFlights two full time steam servers.

Thus quickly shows that people have joined the correct TS. And as Kalo mentioned encourage more activity on the Steam side of things.

Novawing24
              Per Ardua Ad Astra

Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Novawing24
              Join me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Novawing24
              Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/novawing24
              Official Novawing24 website! http://www.novawing24.com
              My Onedrive! http://tinyurl.com/novawing24-onedrive

Comment

I like the new-user relationship-building interaction that comes from Steam community and Boxed community coexistence. Why force or encourage separation of the two? I believe the discussions that pop up on the topic, most frequently after someone asks what edition the active pilots at the time are currently utilizing, help to better inform users and broaden their understanding of the greater FSX situation and how that might influence decision making (or even perhaps participation).

Now, I've also learned over the past three years that forcing people together isn't the most popular idea, either. So, I certainly wouldn't mind modifying a GP room with a "(Steam)" or "(Boxed)" ... or even "(GTA)" ... descriptor as needed when pilots desire segregation from the lobby to pursue specific interests.

I've therefore voted against the addition of channels, while proposing free-modification (and yes, the subsequently requisite occasional clean-up) of existing ones.
                Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

hmm, Bob brings up a good point that the Steam room should be publicly available for new members that join. I'm leaning to renaming Free Flight B to Free Flight Steam or something as Travis suggested.

Wingman, you said you voted against adding more channels, would you be against renaming Free Flight B?

Comment

I logged in last night and put the (Steam) after my name because I thought that it would be easier for people to connect with me if they are on Steam, and in fact, it worked almost immediately. LeeHrvy logged in and put (steam) after his name as well and we hooked up for a shared cockpit flight - note: I ended up crashing because we have different scenery/elevation at the destination airport. I'll definitely recommend it to anyone new I see on TS from Steam. And as someone mentioned, I like having the Steam/Boxed people intermingled. It's nice to chat with others even if we're flying on different servers. Lots of friendlies around here.

We had an instance last night where two new players joined TS and were going to fly together, but after an hour or so of one of the individuals trying to get his TS to work properly (there is a bug with Overwolf not letting you use PTT on TS if it's not the primary selected window - we resolved it by disabling his Overwolf and running TS in admin), they found out one person was on Steam and one was on boxed. It's hard to get the word out to new people that the two versions aren't currently compatible. Had I known that they were on different versions I would have let them know sooner to avoid one person waiting around for so long. I'm not sure if that is stated in big bold letters somewhere already but I've had to break the news to a few new people lately and it took me a bit myself to figure it out when I started.

Edit: I failed to weigh in on the topic. I would suggest turning the Free Flight Lobby into something that says "Free Flight - New Players Start Here' or something so that new players know where to go and veterans will know where to look. When being greeted by admins I think it would be pertinent to include asking whether new players are on Steam or Boxed and let them know that currently the two can not fly together but that the Steam community is growing every day. Then possibly suggest putting (Steam) after their username to help others identify them. I've heard a couple introductions from the admins that sounded very welcoming but the compatibility thing was not brought up and I think it's something that most new players don't know about.
                    Last edited by -TK-; July 14, 2015, 04:45 PM.
                    [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0558.png[/img]

Comment

Hello all,

If I may throw in my two cents. I would like to have a room labeled for TacPack only so when people come in and they see me in there that there is an active TacPack session, since it is on a different server with a different IP.

I do, however , also agree with those that are worried the TeamSpeak may get too fragmented. I would just like the room so everyone can see that we have an active TacPack session and to come join the fun.

Thank you for your attention,

AIRWOLF

Comment

I vote for option 3: don't care. I can live with either. Whatever works. If you change it, you may not get it right first time, so be prepared for further change. It's organic.

Comment

I think separating the groups of classic and steam is a bad idea we are a flight sim community and as such all share a common interest and to segregate members because of which version of fsx they have seems ludicrous to me maybe im missing the point but surely the rooms we have atm are adequate and all it takes to determine whether a member you wish to fly with is on classic or boxed is to ask them.The rooms are called general purpose not fsx classic so why do we need labelled rooms for steam. We fly together and share a passion as a community dividing that in 2 in my opinion is not needed and could be detrimental to our community spirit as you see other people are already suggesting additional rooms for what type of flight you are engaging in. If i have the wrong end of the stick ill be happy to listen but my vote as it stands is no.
                          sigpic

Comment

I agree with Bob on the matter of "if created" the steam room should be in a public area. I think it would help Welcome our newer members and show them that we care about their interests. On public record, I do not like flying in steam hardly at all. This change would not benefit me. I am only suggesting this because I think its a good idea and the right thing to do for our members and occasional visitors that like many people do, say: Wow I feel welcomed when I come here! This community is awesome and friendly and helpful. I use the Elite Dangerous Room and GTA/Other games rooms religiously when group flights are not in session. I feel like it wouldn't be right if we didn't have the 2 FSX versions have their own channels. Wingman: I do not intend this idea to encourage player separation of any type. The name would just specify which version of FSX they are using so the channels chat atmosphere isn't being crossed over a lot(if that makes sense). After all It is a "Free Flight" channel and you have to choose to go in there. If created, a Boxed Channel may be used by me more often because I do like flying on boxed at random times, however I tend not to hang out in the main lobby channel because of all the random chatter sometimes. We do not want to Force people together. I feel people should have the right to be in a steam channel if they are flying in boxed, if they want to talk to someone in that channel, just like we all do at times now. It shouldn't matter if everyone is in the lobby, and flying 16 different simulators or games. But for our new members coming to our teamspeak from steam, I feel they would use that channel often. Another benefit is, the only way I can see who is flying on steam at a random time would be to log in myself. We don't have FSOpen Steam yet : (. It could give us some indication on who may be flying there. But if this room isn't used much at all and would serve a better purpose as something else, then it should be changed, again.

Comment

I selected to not have two separate channels and my reasoning stands with Edd's reply. Why separate the community apart? The main idea behind a community is to be together and interact together. Having two different channels would just take the connotation out of community.

It's wonderful that we are obtaining new members that are apt to just using FSX:SE but in my view I do not believe that it should be two totally separate channels for either boxed or steam. I personally do not have the Steam Edition of FSX and wouldn't want to go into TS one day and be the only one in the boxed edition lobby while everyone else is in the steam lobby that has the steam version.

If that makes any sense at all. What I am trying to get at primarily is that we are a community and we should not be detached from the rest of the community situated on which version of FSX we are using.
                              [B][SIZE=1] "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever
                              walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
                              for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X